Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:29:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Lead Adventure Support Group for Enamel Users?  (Read 6358 times)

Offline Participant-Observer

• Assistant
  • Good Egg.
Lead Adventure Support Group for Enamel Users?
« on: September 30, 2012, 08:27:39 PM »
Dear all,

(First post, so please be gentle.  :) )

Still a beginning painter but I'm stubbornly attached to using enamel paints.  This is, no doubt, out of lingering nostalgia for my childhood and my limited exposure to Airfix model kits.  (I also try to validate my decisions by using arguments like "Enamels are more durable for the tabletop" and "They give a more realistic, duller finish."  I don't have a problem, honest.)

Do any of you know any good resources for people who persist in using this medium?  I've got Bill Horan's Military Modelling Masterclass but I'm hungry for more.
Cheers,

-- David

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
Re: Lead Adventure Support Group for Enamel Users?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 09:17:30 PM »
I don't, but I think it's good to be open minded.

Equally, someone who swears by nought but Acrylics is in the same boat.

I use Acrylics for painting, enamels and oils for weathering effects and the like. My Enamels are all from AK Interatctive, who have a variety of DVD's on how to achieve weathering effects on Military Vehicles. Even then, sometimes, solid enamel paints are better for the job. For example, getting a worn paint look where you end up with streak marks, from where the rain has affected some paint, this is easier to achieve with Enamel and white spirit.

Open your mind to new possibilities!!!  :)

And welcome!

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 11:24:43 PM »
If I was you I'd go to my GP and demand counselling  ;)

Bill Brewer used enamels, he didn't really like acrylics either, he thought they were too bright.
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 06:45:00 AM »
Satan perches on the brush handle of the enamel painter!

Just kidding. But I see no point in being rigid about using just enamels. Enamels, acrylic, oils, inks, gouache etc. all have their unique properties and uses. Personally, I mix accordingly.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 06:48:06 AM by Hammers »

• Assistant
  • Good Egg.
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 01:49:34 PM »
Thanks, fellas -- Already learning stuff.  (For instance, I didn't have my have email notifications set properly.  That's a pretty important thing to learn.)

If I was you I'd go to my GP and demand counselling  ;)

Already passed that stage, I'm afraid. My therapist looks increasingly worried during our meetings.  In fact, he's trying to refer me to someone who specializes in enamel addiction.  ;)

I quite like the idea of using acrylics for painting but enamels for weathering details.  Makes a lot of sense.  And, as I'm something of an ingenue, I don't think I'd heard of either Bill Brewer's work or AK Interactive before.  A quick application of a certain famous search engine pulled up something pretty cool stuff.

IIRC, Dave Andrews of the late 1980s Games Workshop stable of painters only used enamels.  I seem to dimly remember this from an issue of White Dwarf.  (This manages to both date me and establish where most of my painting references come from.  I only hope neither is too incriminating.)

I use Acrylics for painting, enamels and oils for weathering effects and the like. My Enamels are all from AK Interatctive, who have a variety of DVD's on how to achieve weathering effects on Military Vehicles. Even then, sometimes, solid enamel paints are better for the job. For example, getting a worn paint look where you end up with streak marks, from where the rain has affected some paint, this is easier to achieve with Enamel and white spirit.

Just kidding. But I see no point in being rigid about using just enamels. Enamels, acrylic, oils, inks, gouache etc. all have their unique properties and uses. Personally, I mix accordingly.

I believe that the GW kids would call you true students of the art of Blanchitsu -- a master of mixed media.  (I read on one old school site that the man had even used nail varnish on occasion.  I have my doubts about that but ... )

Hmmm ... I may even be tempted to get my hands on some acrylics.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 02:11:12 PM »
(I read on one old school site that the man had even used nail varnish on occasion.)

Check with Cptn Blood. He's dead clever and old school. I am sure he could paint a figure that would make you fall on your knees weeping, just by using soot, fat from a cave bear and aurochs shit. You know, like in the Altamira caves.

Seriously, the main advantage of acrylics is the rapid setting time (not just drying time) plus that you can fiddle with that with the help of wet pallets, retardants and other mix in mediums. And they are non-toxic or close to it. And come in a gazillion nuances and levels of opaque.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 03:02:59 PM »
I was an enamel die-hard until relatively recently. I've found acrylics a little hard to adapt to but I sure don't miss the headaches.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 03:04:40 PM »
By the stars! That's Ludwig on your avatar, ain't it?

I loved Ludwig when I was nipper, though it was damned odd.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 03:06:17 PM by Plynkes »

Online Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 03:32:13 PM »

Offline No Such Agency

• Scientist
    • Painting Agency
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 08:35:56 PM »
I was an enamel die-hard until relatively recently. I've found acrylics a little hard to adapt to but I sure don't miss the headaches.
The toxicity of enamel paints and thinner are what I miss least about using them (aside from the drying time).  I don't eat my paint now or anything, but I do appreciate not having to dispose of my brush washing jar as hazardous waste. 

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 09:59:55 PM »
Acrylics can never give the same results for vehicles/tanks etc. However, for miniatures I suppose acrylics can get you a long way, I wouldent know, since I only use acrylics for miniatures and arent that good at painting them, but others get fantastic results.
Tintin - Pulp Adventures in a orderly fashion
Gallows Falls - Western Village
Eisende - Mordheim costal village WIP
Rome - SPQR & Hail Caesar

• Assistant
  • Good Egg.
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 04:24:10 PM »
Check with Cptn Blood. He's dead clever and old school. I am sure he could paint a figure that would make you fall on your knees weeping, just by using soot, fat from a cave bear and aurochs shit. You know, like in the Altamira caves.

I'll be sure to check out his posts.  Thanks!

Acrylics can never give the same results for vehicles/tanks etc. However, for miniatures I suppose acrylics can get you a long way, I wouldent know, since I only use acrylics for miniatures and arent that good at painting them, but others get fantastic results.

Seriously, the main advantage of acrylics is the rapid setting time (not just drying time) plus that you can fiddle with that with the help of wet pallets, retardants and other mix in mediums. And they are non-toxic or close to it. And come in a gazillion nuances and levels of opaque.

Hmmm ... duly noted.  I think my resolve might be crumbling (unless I decide to paint something entirely in enamels, just for the hell of it).

By the stars! That's Ludwig on your avatar, ain't it?

Yeah, I'm kinda a migrant from RPG.net's boards and I ported my member name and avatar over, for the sake of continuity.

I loved Ludwig when I was nipper, though it was damned odd.

I now have a hankering for a not-Ludwig miniature for the tabletop ... along with other assorted not-characters-from-old-kids'-shows.

Offline panzagl

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 02:34:04 AM »
Olicanalad still uses enamels-

http://olicanalad.blogspot.com/2009/11/painting-with-enamels.html

I don't know if he's on here though.

Rich

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 08:40:22 AM »
well if you live in the EU use our enamels now, as there are to be banned within a few years.
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 09:01:34 AM »
That's outrageous! They are bad, but not that bad!
Surely just put an age rating on them and make it so they must be disposed of in a healthy way...