Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:41:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Kickstarter for Dominion of the Gods - Mythological game  (Read 8585 times)

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
Kickstarter for Dominion of the Gods - Mythological game
« on: October 04, 2012, 04:11:34 PM »
Hope that I have this in the right place guys. Mods please move it to the appropriate place if it isn't.

Ok, I know that every other company has been doing Kickstarter campaigns, with various levels of success, but I think that this one is worth sharing, Dominion of the mods from Comfy Chair Games. It's a game of pantheon vrs pantheon with Greek and Norse figs starting things out. Even if you don't play the game, the minis are well worth it IMO.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/97182592/dominion-of-the-gods-tactical-miniatures-game?ref=live

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 04:13:16 PM by Chairface »

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
Re: Kickstarter for Dominion of the Gods - Mythological game
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 06:05:17 PM »
Those sculpts look pretty nice!  I like the Athena model especially.

Though I am not quite pleased enough to want to pay 7 months before I get the product just to save $5-10.  Hope it goes well for them though!  If I was into the mythology stuff though, I might pick it up  8)
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 06:42:14 PM »
Those sculpts look pretty nice!  I like the Athena model especially.

Yes, thats a nice fig, although I have to question her posture a bit. But the shield more than makes up for it. There is also an Ares miniature that will be unlocked as a stretch goal that I think is particularily good, far superior to the weak offering from Foundry. .

Though I am not quite pleased enough to want to pay 7 months before I get the product just to save $5-10. 

That is definitely a consideration that I thought of. I don't know if I'll still be on a mythology kick when the minis come. I want to make sure it gets funded though. As a bonus there is an alternate version of the Cyclops being offered that is for Kickstarter only, and that is what I've pledged for so far.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 09:06:53 PM »
I'll keep my eyes on this and see if the Celtic Strech goal gets met. Then maybe...
Cool looking minis though

Offline Axtklinge

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 08:54:05 AM »
Some nice sculpts there.

Offline angstpuppet

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 07:28:15 PM »
I may go in for the Cyclops with extra/limited edition weapons and/or the Amazon but I am not sure I can get behind this game overall.  The savings are limited, the shipping not being included in the price, not even a mention of FLGSes, and as most know I am a bit of a Croc/Wargods fan.  The minis are not so good as to pull me over to their game.  The ones we have seen so far are good, don't get me wrong.  But things like Bronze Age Minis Greek, Norse, Viking, and Amazon lines are much cooler looking to me. 

Offline ComfyGuy

• Student
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 05:27:13 PM »
I have heard the talk about savings before. The simple fact is that Kickstarter was not created to give savings, it was made as a crowd funding application. The big companies (who frankly don't need it so much) came in and began giving things away which is destroying the purpose of Kickstarter. Kickstarter is about getting new projects you believe in funded, not scoring a huge savings on stuff. Like many things, the big companies came in and are turning it into something it was never meant to be, a pre-order system.

That being said, there is a huge savings in the Dominion of the Gods box sets. If you forget the rules, the cards and the dice and look at it simply for the miniatures, you are getting 5 miniatures (40mm bases and larger) for the same price other companies sell you 3 models and a few cards. If you break it down, each model costs you under $11 a piece. When was the last time you got a model like the Cyclops for under $11? How many 40mm base models do you see for under $11 a piece?

Comfy Chair Games is a 1 man operation, I cannot give you what Reaper can, but I can give you a fun game at a realistic deal.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 06:27:04 PM »
While I can understand the reasoning behind your argument, in Kickstarter, the individual becomes an investor.  I choose to invest my money into a concept that I believe in good faith will actually come to fruition, and my money will not be squandered.  The only return on my 'investment' are the bonuses from my donation.  I see no interest, or no return on the profits of the company.  I get a copy of some product for my money pledged.  However, I have to pay that money well in advance.

When faced with the seller's alternatives of fronting their own cash, or borrowing from a bank or private investor, kickstarter is a pretty sweet deal.  You pay no interest on the investment, and you give up no control of your company.  If you go bust, our only real option is a lawsuit to try and recover some funds.

For myself, unless I have a personal connection to the company, I don't see much incentive to invest money for a product that I will not see for at least 6 months, with many of its parts little more than concepts and drawings rather than actual sculpts without a substantial discount.  Yes, your cyclops is a very nice miniature, but I can't tell for the rest of the set until after I pledge.

The concept of people supporting something they admire or believe in is admirable, but you will find those people to be few and far between.  If you want to raise lots of money then you have to appeal to a broader audience.  While the likes of Reaper and Mantic may not necessarily need Kickstarter, you cannot deny that they serve to draw more attention to the website, and will get more people interested in other products such as your own.

I will keep an eye on your campaign, and I indeed wish you the best.   :) I don't want to come across as negative, but those are my opinions as a 'crowd-sourcing investor'.  Like I said earlier, I don't do lots of mythology based gaming/painting so this specific game may need time to grow on me.  From your breakdown on the pricing, it is a decent deal on the products.  However, comparing the KS price to the retail price, for those of us on the fence, sometimes we need another incentive to draw in our interest.  Maybe I will have to take another look at that exclusive cyclops...  8)

Offline ComfyGuy

• Student
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 01:10:52 AM »
For myself, unless I have a personal connection to the company, I don't see much incentive to invest money for a product that I will not see for at least 6 months, with many of its parts little more than concepts and drawings rather than actual sculpts without a substantial discount. 

You do realize that as of September 20 Kickstarter has began cracking down because major companies have been taking advantage of the intent of Kickstarter, right? There is a huge to-do right now about where the line is. Kickstarter specifically states that if you have a line of finished product, Kickstarter is not where you go to do Pre-sales. You should read their Blog and the article intitled "Kickstarter is not a store."

Anyway, I'm still fighting the good fight and I am borrowing a few bucks from the bank to hopefully be able to include the Celtic box set before this is over. We will see if that gets some more attention.

I have also been tole that I should have the painted Minotaur and the Achilles sculpt by this week.

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
  • (A.K.A. Doctor Warlock)
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 01:18:32 AM »
I have also been tole that I should have the painted Minotaur and the Achilles sculpt by this week.

Ooooh!

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind" ~ H. P. Lovecraft

https://www.facebook.com/nexus.miniatures

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 01:34:09 AM »
You do realize that as of September 20 Kickstarter has began cracking down because major companies have been taking advantage of the intent of Kickstarter, right? There is a huge to-do right now about where the line is. Kickstarter specifically states that if you have a line of finished product, Kickstarter is not where you go to do Pre-sales. You should read their Blog and the article intitled "Kickstarter is not a store."

Anyway, I'm still fighting the good fight and I am borrowing a few bucks from the bank to hopefully be able to include the Celtic box set before this is over. We will see if that gets some more attention.

Actually, I was not aware of that, so thanks for mentioning it.  I took a look at it, and for those interested you can read it here: http://www.kickstarter.com/blog/kickstarter-is-not-a-store

Not too sure what to think of that entry.  In one sense, it could likely hurt Kickstarter's bottom line since they take a cut of all projects, and if they exclude bigger projects...

Nevertheless, I wonder (philosophically) how you can differentiate what constitutes a 'pre-order'?  Would it be a project that would go ahead regardless of KS?  I think many would fall into that category.

Anyway, enough off topic.  Looking forward to seeing some paint on Achilles.  ;)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 02:08:39 AM »
Loving those Celtic models. Placing a pledge if my finances allow :)

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 02:42:38 AM »
Celts now available.

After doing a little bit of juggling, I have secured the ability to offer the Celtic box set early. You can check out the art for the new Celtic box set on the kickstarter main page for Dominion of the gods. This box set includes Macha: the Celtic/Irish goddess of war who is said to be able to out run the fastest horse and outsmart the greatest of warriors. Also in this box set you will get Caoranach: the snakelike beast of Ireland who was reputed to be the mother of Demons, a firebreather who could poison wells by simply slithering through them. Next is the Bean Sidhe, the ghostlike woman whose wailing would proceed great tragedy. You also get a Formorian warrior, these monstrous creatures were said to have once controlled Ireland until the Tuatha Dé Danann (the  Celtic/Irish gods) chased them back into the sea. And lastly in the QuickStart box you will find Finn MacCool, a reputed warrior of the Celts who was unmatched in battle, Finn was ordered by the Druids to catch the salmon of wisdom for them to eat, he was warned not to eat the salmon himself. While cooking the salmon, Finn burnt his thumb on the Oils from the salmon and quickly sucked his from to ease the burn. Now whenever Finn seeks wisdom, all he must do is suck his thumb and be enlightened.

As you can see this is a great box set. It's a lot of fun with characters from Celtic mythology that not many people are aware of. Spread the word, this now makes three possible box sets that you can purchase for Dominion of the gods.

Our stretch goals have been adjusted accordingly to remove the Celtic box set and bring the H.P. Lovecraft box set that much closer to your possession.

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 06:50:17 PM »
Here's the minotaur painted up

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
  • (A.K.A. Doctor Warlock)
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 06:53:36 PM »
GORGEOUS!