Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:45:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Harvard Regiment.  (Read 2297 times)

Offline Mr Pommeroy

• Bookworm
The Harvard Regiment.
« on: October 04, 2012, 08:38:50 PM »
Fellow enthusiasts, attached you will find pictures of my latest ACW regiment, the 20th Massachusetts Volunteers, also known as the Harvard Regiment.

Figures are by Foundry, flags are made by myself, based on their historic counterparts.

Next up are the Charleston Zouave Volunteers, Company H of Hampton's Legion.

Hope you enjoy.
Regards, Pommeroy

Offline General Lee

• Mad Scientist
Re: The Harvard Regiment.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 09:27:37 PM »
very very nice  :-*

you say you did the flags yourself? how??
\"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it.\"

Offline Mr Pommeroy

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 10:00:03 PM »
Thank you kindly, sir.

Making flags is mainly a matter of finding proper source material. The design is then re-created using a graphics program—such as Photoshop for instance. I have quite a few years of work-experience in the graphics field, so the amount of time I invest is relatively justifiable.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 10:03:23 PM »
Very well done. The blue is very eye-catching.  :)
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 11:34:27 PM »
Good looking unit and the flags are fantastic.

Offline Leapsnbounds

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 01:10:14 AM »
 You did an icredibl job!  I am very interstd in seeing the Chlarleston Zouvs as I have been looking to add some olor to my Confederate Forces other than the Tiger/Louisana Zouaves.  Keep up the good work.

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 07:52:56 AM »
Great job! The Flags look great  :-*
Barry

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 08:11:08 AM »
Always a joy to see wonderful ACW units like these! The flags are simply wonderful! Shame they're not available commercially really!
David
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 08:29:22 AM »
Great work and great flags. They are flags that i have wanted to do for sometime and you have done a great job on them.

Offline ffrum

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 06:06:08 AM »
Mr Pommeroy your painting and flags look very good.  It is a joy to see these well finished units.

I don't think I have any figures painted to represent to the Harvard Regiment.  You have raised my awareness and I will need to include a unit painted and outfitted to represent that regiment. 

For many years I have been making my own flags, banners, signs, and the like also.  I use Corel Draw and many sources for my main periods, the ACW and the F&IW.  I have also drawn and printed flags for Pirates, Wild West Cavalry, WWII, and 55 Days at Peking (legations and boxers), Mexican American, Alamo and other periods. I find that I enjoy researching the flags and uniforms to complete units.

Originally I used a dot matrix, color printer, but soon moved to a color, HP laser printer for the flags and have had very good results.  One of the advantages is that with vector based drawings, the flags can be made to any size and scale one may need.

Congratulations on the development of your painting and flag techniques to produce such a good looking unit!

Offline Mr Pommeroy

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 10:45:14 AM »
Many thanks for the encouraging words, gentlemen!

Leapsnbounds, yes, I too am drawn to the more "colorful" regiments, especially exhibited by the early years of the war. My plan is to represent some of the South Carolina regiments of 1861 on my tabletop. The Zouave Volunteers are almost done, expect pictures within the next days.

Mr Bickley, thank you for the compliment! Especially encouraging from you, as I enjoyed "Bull Run To Gettysburg" imensly, also the rules of choice for the battles I fought so far. One can never know, at the moment I have created flags for only five regiments. However, once I hit a greater number I may consider to make them available.

Ffrum, thank you kindly, sir. I realize that creating flags in a vector-based program is certainly the more ideal way. But I found that it works better for me to put them together in Photoshop, this way it is easier to arrive at a result that "feels painted". I also create them much larger than what I would need given the final size, so, theoretically they could also be used for 40mm or perhaps even 54mm figures. My flags are printed with a ink-jet printer, nothing too fancy. After that it's the ol' scissors, glue and creating a nice "wavy" form utilizing toothpicks and fingers.

Again, many thanks for all the kind comments!

P.S.: If one of you is interested in a set of these flags I would be happy to receive a PM, I am sure a propper deal could be worked out.