Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:18:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690472
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Churchills for Battlegroup Kursk...  (Read 5096 times)

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
Churchills for Battlegroup Kursk...
« on: September 19, 2012, 01:25:03 AM »
So a while ago I stumbled into that wonderful sticky hole that is 1/72 scale WWII gaming... Kampfgruppe Normandy had hit our local club and been very well received and so I drank the cool-aid. More fool I.. And so, ever since the first hints that BGK was on the way, I have been power painting my way through a Soviet arsenal to throw against the German tide...

Glad I didn't rush these as they were a lot of fun to paint. Do wish I had more reference material on hand as I'm sure there are details that could have / should have been picked out. I'm ashamed to be so unfamiliar with this iconic fighting vehicle.

Blitzkrieg Miniatures resins, RB barrels, brass wire and assorted decals kept the build simple. When I ordered the barrels from RB, I did a straight replacement for the ones that came with the kit. It occurred to me later that these might be the wrong gun for Kursk? However they look smart, so I'm happy.

Vallejo primers and varnishes, Tamiya acrylics, Gamblin oils and 6b graphite were used to finish these very nicely cast pieces.

Hope 3 will be sufficient to shore up my Soviets; to dull the fascist spearhead somewhat... If not, I'll have to order more!

I'll base these when I have a few more vehicles done up to make that job a bit more efficient.
Thanks for stopping by...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 06:21:04 PM by Mr. Peabody »
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Re: Churchills for Battlegroup Kursk...
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 01:27:27 AM »
Love them! And be careful with the basing, i think they are quite splendid like this!

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 04:20:46 AM »
From the book of Michael Baryatinsky "Infantry tank "Churchill":

Soviet-German front

The only foreign army (not including Canada - Commonwealth countries), received during the Second World War tanks "Churchill" was the Red Army. In the Soviet Union under the Lend-Lease program were sent to 344 combat vehicles modifications III and IV, of which up to destination reached only 253 units. The first 10 tanks arrived in the USSR in July 1942. "Churchill" as well as the heavy tanks of Soviet production, received in "separate Guards Tank Regiment breakthrough". Every regiment statewide № 010/267 was supposed to have 21 tanks and 214 personnel. The title of "guard" is given immediately after the order of the formation of the regiment. Besides regiments breakthrough in 1944 were created separate tank regiments army - or front-line command. Their structure is often included, and foreign tanks. It should be noted that the Soviet documents of those years, these tanks usually had the designation MK.IV or MK-IV.

Combat debut "Churchill" in the Soviet-German front was held during the Battle of Stalingrad. In defeating the encircled German forces took part in the 47 th and 48 th separate Guards Tank Regiment breakthrough. Subsequently, 48 separate Guards Tank Regiment breakthrough (48 OGTPP) was placed in the rear, supplemented technique and transferred to the operational command of the 38th Army, which included a part in the liberation of Kiev November 6, 1943.

On the Leningrad front in April 1943 was 49 OGTPP, who had 21 tanks on arms of "Churchill" and three armored personnel carriers "Universal." This regiment, along with newcomers to the Leningrad front 36 OGTPP, was fighting until the lifting of the blockade of Leningrad. As part of the Volkhov Front under the operational control of the 8th Army from March 17, 1943 had fought in the "50th Separate Guards Tank Regiment Breakthrough". Rare case - this part in the interaction with other units would have to act in accordance with the tactical purpose - to break through the long-lane defense. In the operation of tanks "Churchill" in the forest and marshland our tankers pointed their lack of maneuverability and failure to adapt to the conditions of the Russian winter. In particular, all staff catalytic heaters in a few days of operation at the request of crews heaters were replaced by domestic production.

Participated "Churchill" in the Battle of Kursk. For example, in the 5th Guards Tank Army in the battle of Prokhorovka were 15th (10 MK.IV) and 36 (21 MK.IV) Guards regiments breakthrough. Subsequently, the 15th Regiment received the KV-1S, and the 36th has been updated with "Churchill" and was transferred to the Leningrad front. In the 1st Guards Tank Army arrived in mid-July 10 OGTPP, and on July 21, in conjunction with 39 Tank Brigade, 174 and 57 rifle divisions, he attacked the enemy positions in the direction of Andreyevka - Petropole - Kopanki. During the battle tanks were cut off from the infantry and almost all knocked out  - the first day burned down 16 "Churchill". After that, the regiment was taken to the rear and rearmed other military equipment. The Bryansk Front 13 July 1943 arrived 34 OGTPP. August 5, 1943 his "Churchill" first broke into the Orel.

Top of Vyborg operation 10 June 1944 in the 21 th Army of the Leningrad Front had 21 OGTPP, partly completed "Churchill". His tanks fought for Vyborg from 18 to 20 June. By the time of the liberation of the regiment were six "Churchill" and 32 KV.
 As mentioned, the tanks "Churchill" were completed (sometimes partially) and linear tank regiments. For example, "39-th Separate Kiev Tank Regiment" as of March 2, 1944 featured a broad assortment of combat vehicles, three KB, two "Matilda," three "Churchill", two T-70, two T-60 and 38 T-34. As part of the 8th Army of the Leningrad Front were 82 separate tank regiment (11 KV-1S and 10 "Churchill"). In September 1944, the regiment took part in the liberation from Nazi invaders Tallinn and islands Moonzund Archipelago. It was the last battle "Churchill" on the Soviet-German front.

"Churchill" (own name "Alexander Nevsky") on the Leningrad front.

"Churchill IV" 36-th separate Guards Tank Regiment breakthrough

Churchill Mk. IV of the 48th separate tank Regiment breakthrough on the way to Kiev.

Here posted online scanned Russian book "Tanks Lend-Lease in the Red Army." Many photos and color schemes:
http://lib.rus.ec/b/200316/read
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 04:36:06 AM by cuprum »

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 05:06:49 AM »
Thanks Cuprum, that's good research stuff right there. The colour plates are wonderful...

Yes, I definitely have the wrong version for Kursk!  :? What's a chainik to do? ;D

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 05:27:37 AM »
Have to close our eyes to this ...  ;)
We will not tell anyone about this error  ???

Excellent model and a good paint  :D

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 07:44:30 AM »
Love them! And be careful with the basing, i think they are quite splendid like this!

Excellent work!! :o I quite agree about the basing. I don't understand why people base vehicles anyway! Infantry, fair enough, so they don't fall over, but vehicles look weird!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 03:23:47 PM by Andym »

Offline Wilhelmshoeher

• Assistant
    • Iron Cross Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 09:48:37 AM »
Great painting!

Best Regards
Moritz
Iron Cross Miniatures - finely detailed 28mm Miniatures

https://www.facebook.com/ironcrossminiatures

http://ironcrossminiatures.blogspot.de

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 11:11:16 AM »
Lovely paintjob.

Cuprum, thanks for that link!
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 04:39:34 PM »
Excellent work!! :o I quite agree about the basing. I don't understand why people base vehicles anyway! Infantry, fair enough, so they don't fall over, but vehicles look weird!
Well, I certainly see your point and I like the way a nicely finished un-based vehicle can fit into well made terrain... However, over the years my un-based Vietnam stuff has gotten pretty beat up, and that's significant because it doesn't see the table as often as I would like! So for this Soviet project I decided that I would give basing a try; so far I'm happy with the result.

Offline Dave C

• Librarian
  • No one enjoys a good laugh more than I do...
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 04:56:52 PM »
I cannot commment the historical matters but your painting is excellent and inspirational. Thanks for sharing!

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 08:48:09 AM »
Nice painting indeed!
Tintin - Pulp Adventures in a orderly fashion
Gallows Falls - Western Village
Eisende - Mordheim costal village WIP
Rome - SPQR & Hail Caesar

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 08:43:09 AM »
Hurrah!! I've just found a use for my Corgi Churchill as i have PSC Soviets in 28mm for BA

Nice work chap
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline Wilkins

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 12:11:21 PM »
I like based vehicles, helps protect the paint during storage and transfer and makes them look more "in game" and less "on table." Your painting is inspirational, makes me want to spend money I don't have!

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 01:21:59 PM »
They look great Peabody.  I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your force.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 05:52:43 PM »
Thanks Rod! And congrats on the Hockey! Texas and Canada ftw.

I have a big pile of SU series armour on my workbench right now, all the tank-destroyers and self-propelled guns to round out my Kursk themed army. Such a big project, lots done already but more still to come...