Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:01:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: EotD Report: A Tale of Two Aliens  (Read 1967 times)

Offline Laughing Ferret

• Scientist
    • Laughing Ferret Lab Hobby Blog
EotD Report: A Tale of Two Aliens
« on: October 25, 2012, 06:54:30 PM »
In our on-going Empire of the Dead campaign, I'm playing 4 factions,one of those I don't think I've posted in this subforum- it does stretch the bounds a bit, but I suppose that's in my nature.  A gentlemen's club, not from London, not from Europe (as my opponent's faction wasn't) but also, not of this planet.  Why limit myself?  taking cues from Dr.Who and genre expanding bits like Cowboys & Aliens, (Why can't aliens visitors come to Earth in the 19th century?) my Gentlemen's Club is the crew of the Pan-galactic Confederation of Planets starship Drowsy Wombat.

You can find their introduction here:
http://laughingferret.blogspot.com/2012/09/take-trip-with-pcp-touch-of-sci-fi.html

Their first mission you can find here:
http://laughingferret.blogspot.com/2012/09/take-trip-with-pcp-touch-of-sci-fi.html

Friday I took them for a spin against RicharDMB's Jade Dragon Emporium, importers of fine opium.
It turned out to be a very one sided affair, and he was a good sport about it and a very fun opponent as always.

Terrain provided by Skrapwelder.

You can find the full report with pictures that can be enlarged on the blog here:

And now, on to the tale....

Stardate: Third Floobalts After the Shaandaar: Captain's Note: Buy Lotto tickets: very lucky day!

Local date: the following Wednesday after the last mission.  Probably a day dedicated to some 'Saint', being one of many dead magic men, but apparently no concept of a Floobats locally, let alone Shaandaar.

Mission Goal: Find further specimens for the medical lab.  Apparently the gestation feeding duct in this species fuses irreversibly after birth and Doc says he ruined several of the last specimens before realizing this.   Not to worry he says, he's found another entry point that will serve nearly as well.  This species continues to astound us.  Once we have a more complete understanding of their physiology and potential as a species we'll be better able to assess their current development and viability of offering membership into the Pan-galactic Confederation of Planets.  To this end, we have set down in a small village with an expanded team.
Weather continues to be dense with water vapor and devoid of direct light from the star: a truly depressing world.

Our team divided into two groups, to capture the primate species.
Captain Vok, Science Officer Vyoop, 3 tac-ops and the automoticon TVC-15 took the North end while Tag-At-Ot took position on an abandoned dwelling, with 2 of the tac-ops and the engineering team Tibbit & Plon taking the South end.   Scanners showed a group of 8 moving between the dwellings: these were their targets.

The men of the Jade Dragon Emporium, notorious opium importers, made their way through the town after delivering product to a wealthy gentleman. Carrying this much wealth, it was wise to have so many skilled swordsmen, and the two rifles .. one could never be too careful.  The master's sixth sense told him that something was wrong.  Perhaps a rival gang knew of their delivery?  Best to make a quick escape...

Captain Vok spotted three of the primates hiding in the bushes ahead: they were spotted!  They must capture those creatures at all cost!

Tag-At-Ot spotted the majority of the Earthmen moving through the buildings: as a professional hunter he knew the element of surprise was lost: their presence was known, so he opened fire and downed one of the green-clad men, it wasn't dead but it would give them something to think about.

TVC-15 initiated its weapon, the low hum breaking the still air as a multitude of particle bursts sped out to the primates, shredding holes in one.

The remaining primates moved up and hid in the bushes.  What were they thinking?  We knew they were there.  Doubts about their intelligence were raised... perhaps they are well trained mimics or non-sentient animal servants? At any rate, we'd have to get closer to continue shooting at them now.

Meanwhile, in the denser dwellings, the injured man got up while the other shot at Tag-At-Ot.  It was only a small blob of soft metal, a wound, but nothing serious.  The creatures used the dwellings as cover, trying to escape by a more Southerly route.

Tibbit & Plon and the two Tac-ops made their way around the ruins to attempt to head off the green-clad primates.

One of the targets raised an object above his head and rushed at Red-3, but before he got more than a couple steps past the vegetation, Red-2 interrupted his progress with shots from his Partical Sray Projector.
It dazed the creature.

The crew of the PCP Starship Drowsy Wombat advanced to catch any of the feeling primates: none could escape to spread word of their presence.

Tag-At-Ot continued to down those who carried the long projectile weapons: the only ones who seemed to be a threat at this distance.

Red-2 & Red-3 engaged the attacking creatures in an example of true Tac-op professional training: rapidly hitting the primate with the blunt ends of their particle projectors while squealing in a high pitched cry.
Captain Vok, proud of his combat personnel praised them "That's good! Enough already!"

TVC-15 made for the bridge to bring his high-powered weapon to bear.

They'd bagged and tagged seven of the primates, ready to transport them back to the ship, but one still eluded them.  Three times Tag-At-Ot had shot him and three times he'd got right back up to his feet, yelling loudly in his language, as yet incomprehensible.

"You won't kill me demon!" he cried, "I am Hop Sup, master swordsman!" -This was recorded for later analysis.  Clearly such a dangerous alien required the Captain!  Vok charged in, forcing Tag-At-Ot to hold his shot as the captain's small head and prodigious mid-section obscured his aim.  Pulling out his dueling baton, -which initiates recorded program FS01, an audio play of the fight scene music from the Vel Opera "All My Conquests"- the clash began.  The primate clearly didn't expect an electric charge, nor was his metal weapon a wise choice in such a combat.  Nevertheless Captain Vok insisted on visual stills for his report.

With every one of the green-clad primates now dispatched the crew would head back to the ship, where the medical lab could do a proper evaluation of this species, as well as the many glass containers of opaque white liquid and powder.

Captain's addendum: Did lose one Tac-op member, death was irreversible. Only one!   A very successful mission!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 07:01:57 PM by Laughing Ferret »
"If History teaches us anything, it is that people don't really learn from history."

Hobby Pledge 2014: Bought: .  Painted: . (Pure hobby: no commissions included)
Hobby Blog is here: http://laughingferret.blogspot.com/
Commission Studio is here: http://www.laughingferretstudio

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Re: EotD Report: A Tale of Two Aliens
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 08:54:49 PM »
You are wonderfully creative. That is all I need to say :)

a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline pagumb

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 05:04:12 AM »
It would be an honor to be slaughtered by your other worldly gentlemen's club.

Offline General M@yhem

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 07:25:02 AM »
Great reort.Lovely set up and figs. :)

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 05:26:25 AM »
Another fine bat rep!  :-*

Offline Tomsche

• Mastermind
  • Crescat Scientia, Vita Excolatur
    • Societā di archeologia e cimeli
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 10:00:55 AM »
Samurai vs Aliens... I'm quite sure there is some japanese or hong kongnese movie adaption in the making now  lol

Great read, thanks for sharing

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 04:29:45 PM »
After seeing this most excellent report I've gone back and read all your previous EotD batreps on LAF AND checked your blog out too. All of it great stuff bursting with the sort of imagination that can hardly fail to inspire other gamers. Thanks for sharing and I can't wait to see more!

Addendum: Also, the buildings in this game; where are they from? Cheers!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 07:13:47 PM by Funghy-Fipps »

Offline Laughing Ferret

• Scientist
    • Laughing Ferret Lab Hobby Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 07:11:52 PM »
Thanks all, very much appreciated!

Funghy: The buildings were made by Skrapwelder -his moniker on this forum.