Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:33:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm scifi ruleset comparison inquiry  (Read 2980 times)

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Re: 15mm scifi ruleset comparison inquiry
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 06:59:10 AM »
Also don't forget the granddaddy of sci-fi rulesets - Stargrunt from Ground Zero Games (also free to download)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 11:43:51 AM »
More skirmish oriented and slightly game universe specific fluff but tested for 30+ years:  Starguard from Reviresco.  (Hope I didn't miss it being posted earlier in the thread.)

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline COM 2D

• Schoolboy
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 01:32:28 PM »
Speaking of old and universe specific, FASA used to publish an infantry skirmish game set in the Battletech universe called Battletroops. It was the first miniatures game I ever played (though I only ever used cardboard counters), and it was decent but quirky using map sheets with dots laid out in a hex pattern for movement. Figures moved individually and had a number of movement points to spend which were modified by armor, experience and wounds. MP would also be spent to place firing arcs (the more MP spent, the wider the arc) and most firing was done in the opponent's movement phase. The exception was area effect weapons, which were fired in the player's own movement phase using MPs.

It also integrated with Battletech to add 'mechs and vehicles to the game. In fact, my very first games of Battletech were played out in Battletroops using the Battletech Compendium. There was also an expansion called Clantroops that added power armor rules. Of course it's long out of print, but used copies aren't terribly hard to come by.

Additionally, FASA had a game called DMZ: Downtown Militarized Zone. I never owned that one, but my understanding is that it is the same basic game system, but set in the Shadowrun universe.

ETA: I should add that these games were officially 25mm. Scaling them to 15mm is not difficult, however. This is especially true for Battletroops since fullsize images of all the counters, templates and maps are on Board Game Geek. Going mapless should also be relatively straightforward, though square bases might be helpful in that case to assist in lining up firing arc counters.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 02:43:29 PM by COM 2D »

Offline the commissar

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 07:06:12 PM »
For something a bit different (and generic) you could look at Quadrant 13 from Too Fat Lardies

see here

http://www.vislardica.com/   (Links on the left)

for some an intro and some AARs

Offline Gary Mitchell

• Librarian
    • Space Vixens From Mars
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 07:51:36 PM »
Gruntz and USEME both good - first for big game s- tehs econd for skirmish.

Offline krieghund

• Scientist
  • Beyond all Reason
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 08:20:41 PM »
If you fancy going old school have a look at Laserburn.