Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:58:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: new 28mm French Contra Guerrillas from Gringo40s soon  (Read 9251 times)

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: new 28mm French Contra Guerrillas from Gringo40s soon
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 06:49:22 PM »
Good point on the infantry, I always think of the Contras as cavalry units with the silver trimmed grey/black sombrero. Although they were more like Dragoons really.

This being the first pic that comes to mind :)

The contra-guerilla mounted squadrons could fight both mounted and dismounted : this kind of tactical flexibility was pretty much imposed on them by the nature of their job.

Re the infantry's uniform, the fez was indeed issued to privates, though it may well have been used as a fatigue cap only. There are several contemporary eyewitness reports describing contra infantrymen in sombreros. Du Pin himself stated that several of his cavalrymen AND infantry privates had their sombreros burnt or ripped apart during the fight at Las Fresjas in 1864. 

The red zouave jackets depicted by Leliepvre are probably wrong, though : the unit's surviving clothing bills and administrative papers all point out to either dark blue zouave jackets piped black or full black zouave jackets. The zouave jacket may only have been a full dress garment in any case, and administrative documents show that dark blue infantry jackets 'cut in a style similar to the Italian bersaglieri uniform' were used for campaigning. In August 1865, the contra guerrilla infantry received 995 such jackets along with 570 zouave jackets and 605 waistcoats. The red zouave jacket canard may have its origin in the fact that contra guerilla infantry usually wore red flannel shirts under the zouave waistcoats and/or blue infantry jackets.   

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 09:27:03 PM »
I've read somewhere that at least one infantry regiment were raised with blue jackets, in the hussar style I believe (dolman?). However I'm sure it said they switched to red jackets like the others, I would expect it's partly psychological, everyone knew what the red outfit meant.

administrative documents show that dark blue infantry jackets 'cut in a style similar to the Italian bersaglieri uniform' were used for campaigning.

Is that the one with the double row of buttons? That's a pretty cool jacket.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 10:57:57 PM »
I've read somewhere that at least one infantry regiment were raised with blue jackets, in the hussar style I believe (dolman?). However I'm sure it said they switched to red jackets like the others

I think you've got them confused with the cavalry : the first squadron wore the red dolmans with black braid illustrated above and was accordingly nicknamed los colorados. The second squadron wore a sky blue doman and thus became known as los azules (see the negro trooper in the background). These uniforms were worn until the end of the war and the second squadron never switched to red dolmans. As for the infantry, they were always intended to be dressed in blue or black zouave jackets or coats, and the red zouave jackets piped black shown here are probably a complete fabrication as explained above.  

The contra infantry never reached regimental strength, by the way : it started out with a single 100-man company, later expanded to two and ultimately three companies by drafting Mexican soldiers loyal to Maximillian's government. The corps remained constantly understrength and never reached its paper strength : by 1866, the three infantry companies barely mustered 250 men all told when they should have had close to 800 men under arms.  

Not sure the red jackets were meant to suggest the contras would not give quarter : the first cavalry squadron wore them because of a somewhat tenuous affiliation with the French spahis, who traditionally had red dolmans with black braid, and the first squadron was probably the only part of the contra-guerilla corps to wear red. If anything, red coats were more indicative of an allegiance to the Mexican republican cause, which could be something of a problem for Maximilian's supporters : even the most loyal Imperial units were extremely reluctant to trade their blue uniforms for red ones when Maximilian decided to introduce a new national uniform in 1866. Some regiments were apparently almost driven to mutiny when ordered to wear the hated red coats.  

Is that the one with the double row of buttons? That's a pretty cool jacket.

Besides the fact that it existed and was issued in large numbers to the infantry, little is known of the vareuse or campaign jacket worn by the contra footsloggers. It was most likely a dark blue single or double-breasted blouse or short frock coat.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 11:04:38 PM by Arthur »

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 06:46:07 AM »
Arthur

thanks for the seminal input.......leaves us open to interpert the soldiers
in a variety of colour combinations........good for the unit and that punch of colour will make for an interesting unit. as with everyhing i can only
make figures that hopefully cover all bases as some of these units were
indeed low in strenght .......even the Belgians with a couple of Battalions..still need to make them differnent from each other as comaptable with the period as possible. Beligians open to interpretation..i have gone with the stunning braided coats and kepis..though the pork pie look is cool and though slung away or made into Kepis would be an interesting addition. and again i may well do
stripped dowm FFL with the powder blue kepis worn at Camerone. lots to consider and an enjoyable range to do........Arthur your input always a valuable surce of inspiration and help. Merci old chum!! ;)

best regards
Ged

www.gringo40s.com
www.gringo40s.blogspot.com
and 28mm

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 06:54:28 AM »
Site updated chaps....figures available now!! ;)

regards
Ged
www.gringo40s.com
www.gringo40s.blogspot.com
and 28mm

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 07:10:04 AM »
under Belgians ...oops to be corrected!!

regards
Ged

www.gringo40s.com
www.gringo70s.blogspot.com
and 28mm ranges

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 08:25:55 AM »
Nice ;) :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 06:03:41 AM »
Pics of the figures :

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 08:08:27 AM »
thanks Arthur.............much apprecited! will do  some mounted
Contras when i get a chance..............and some artillery men for the
mountain gun which has just been done,

regards

Ged

www.gringo40s.com
www.gringo40s,blogspot.com
and 28mm ranges

Offline StevieC

• Student
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 03:21:31 PM »

Hi Ged

Love the look of the last couple of sets released in this range and I must admit it has got me interested in a conflict that I had never contemplated before.

As we have about 3 threads running on various factions of this period could you give us a run down if you have the time on what and when we can expect for the next few releases.

Many thanks

Steve

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2012, 05:05:57 PM »
Steve

glad the figures have caught your attention.....im really only interested
now in getting the best possible sculpts done so make a huge effort
with my sculpters to achieve the best figs around (hopefully!!)

next up;
1.belgians.......ready this week.first tranche
 2.more Republican infantry,,,,,,,,,shakos etc.ready end this week ;)
 3.artillery pieces.......mountain gun made.
 4.artillery crew.
 5.dismounted Mexican Republican Cavalry
 6.Austrians
  7Mounted French
  8.more FFL
  9 plus all gap filling!!

hope that helps

best reagrds

Offline StevieC

• Student
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2012, 07:19:42 PM »

Cheers Ged thanks for the info, also I know Arthur has been a great help with this range are there any good books on the Uniforms for this period that either of you can recommend.

Thanks

Steve

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2012, 08:06:01 PM »
Very nice miniatures.

Cheers,

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2012, 08:11:01 PM »
thanks Helen and Steve for the thumbs up..................

Steve
best immediate book is the Long Endure :the Civil war period 1852-1867

with some excellent plates on the Maximillian period........i have loads

of uniform information im happy to share......much from my mate Arthur

regards

Ged

www.gringo40s.com

Helen.............pleased you can finally see the figures in the flesh!!
bet its warm in Australia......... ;)

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2012, 08:49:53 AM »
Great figures  :-*
I always really liked that MUIA plate, and these are great representations of those uniforms  8)

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com