Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:41:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Kickstarter for Dominion of the Gods - Mythological game  (Read 8581 times)

Offline Ninja

• Mad Scientist
    • Broken Egg Games
Re: Kickstarter for Dominion of the Gods - Mythological game
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2012, 08:03:18 PM »
I have to say that this is lending towards the proof that larger companies have spoiled the kickstarter pool...
Break out of your gaming shell! www.brokenegggames.com

"Yes, I am a ninja and no I won't show you my moves."

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2012, 12:51:43 PM »
I dunno, I would have to say that I agree the goal for this project was a tad high.  I have seen a few smaller projects with goals of 10k or 15k that were successful.  Perhaps those small projects were able to invest more money privately to the kickstarter?  Who knows.

I don't think that this project would have necessarily have done way better if Reaper et al. had not had their fundraisers.  Thanks to the big guys, kickstarters likely get more traffic as more people get interested in the crowdsourcing phenomenon.  Sure, people spent a lot of money there, but would they have automatically given their money to a small and relatively obscure game instead?

People will only invest in a game if it captures their interest.  If it doesn't capture their interest right away, it may require better deals and freebies to nudge them along.  This looks like a fun game with nice miniatures, but it doesn't quite follow my main interests, hence why I did not invest. 

They can always try a new and improved fundraising effort in a month or two if this one does not raise the funds...
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline ComfyGuy

• Student
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2012, 12:47:49 PM »

Here's a picture of the new green for Jokul Frosti.

As Van Helsing has said, these miniatures and this game will see market. The question of the kickstarter was really how soon it would see market and if we could increase the amount of box sets we were able to offer upon release.

I see the comments about the 35K startup price. All I can tell you is, if you have ever tried to start a miniatures company on your own you will see that 35K is really nothing. A small manufacturer does not have the spinning and casting abilities of a larger company, so we need to hire that out. It is kind of like when you first move out of your parents house, it all looks pretty easy until you start realizing your house isn't stocked. Your first trip to the food store you buy salt, pepper, ketchup, mustard, toilet paper and all kinds of other necessities that you don't think about on a daily basis. You get to the register and realize your first shopping trip has cost you over $300 and you went lite.

The same thing goes for creating miniatures line. Honestly, the lower goals should have you questioning more than the higher goals. Patrick Keith who started bombshell miniatures last month is a very well known sculptor. He does the concept and the sculpting by himself, which saves a lot of money! His kickstarter had a funding goal of $20,000 and people didn't seem to blink.

It is also true that the big companies are ruining kickstarter in my opinion. Dread-ball is due to be at distributors in November. Mantic did not need the crowd funding. Mantic Went on kickstarter and read the same agreement and agreed to the same terms as I did. Those terms specifically stated that Kickstarter was not a pre-order system and should not be used as such. Mantic Agreed to this and as facts play out you can see they didn't give much care to agreements. In my mind,  what is this saying?
 The big companies come in and are able to give people a lot of free stuff. When a big company does this, they make a lot of money. The problem with this, is that consumers get used to this happening and then begin to believe all company should be doing it. The idea of the crowd funding model is that the consumer is able to “help out” a company/game/product that they believe in and would like to see go to market. It is not about the free stuff, the free stuff is something the company gives as a thank you.

I'm not trying to be a hater here, as people on my forums will tell you, I just shoot straight and when I see behind-the-scenes shenanigans I'm not afraid to be the one who verbalizes it. I'm the same guy that will tell you the exact price of metal when other companies are raising their prices and blaming metal prices for it.

Anyway, back on target. I just sunk another large chunk of money into Dominion of the gods. I am determined to see this game hit the market, and it will hit the market. I'm not sure that I will do a crowd funding campaign again. I may, I may not, but I won't say never. If anyone is interested in keeping up on what we are doing, we always have the website available. However, if you're interested in getting notifications sent to you when we have news stories, then I would suggest either signing up on our forums so you can receive e-mails or like our Facebook page so you can get news stories as they are released that way. we have a twitter account, but I hate that damn thing. It's a necessary evil, but honestly my 13-year-old daughter seems to get more out of it than I can imagine and all she does is post bits of song lyrics and tell you what she ate for dinner.

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2012, 04:17:08 AM »
It's dead Jim.

Offline Laughing Ferret

• Scientist
    • Laughing Ferret Lab Hobby Blog
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2012, 07:47:08 AM »
The kickstarter is, but not the game- they promised they will be releasing it by one way or another.  Sounds like the initial release might not be as big all at once, but as long as it happens it's a victory.  I think it's a fun project and looking forward to picking up the Greeks, maybe Hindu down the road too.
"If History teaches us anything, it is that people don't really learn from history."

Hobby Pledge 2014: Bought: .  Painted: . (Pure hobby: no commissions included)
Hobby Blog is here: http://laughingferret.blogspot.com/
Commission Studio is here: http://www.laughingferretstudio

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
  • (A.K.A. Doctor Warlock)
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2012, 01:24:36 PM »
Immature snarky comments aside - fingers crossed for you BoB!

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind" ~ H. P. Lovecraft

https://www.facebook.com/nexus.miniatures