Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:11:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690898
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fallen Earth  (Read 3941 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Fallen Earth
« on: October 21, 2012, 02:33:22 PM »
Prof, please move this if you think a non-mini thread doesn't belong here, but as Matakishi put his Cthulhu MMO thread on the Cthulhu board I figured it was okay...

So I've tried MMOs before, but for one reason or another never really stuck with them. I really like the communties, joining a guild and playing with other people and all that.That Star Wars one that came out last year had good stories and interesting worlds, but the main stumbling block for me with this kind of thing is the gameplay (which is quite a stumbling block). Click on your oponent, click on an ability, learn your rotations, Tank/DPS/Healer teams, all that shit. It doesn't seem very role-playey to me, more like some kind of puzzle game. I prefer the action RPG, where to shoot someone you don't click on them and then click on the "shoot gun" button, you aim the gun and fire it. Games like Skyrim and Fallout 3.

So I was thinking about getting into that Secret World thing, the one Matakishi posted about, but I wasn't sure. Then, thinking of Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas I saw this:

An action-MMORPG very much in the vein of Fallout. And then I saw it was Free-to-Download, and also Free-to-Play. What? I didn't seem to have an excuse not to try it out. So here's how I've got on over the last three or four days...

Let me introduce you my character:

She is a clone, grown in a LifeNet lab purely for the purpose of having her organs harvested. But she wasn't having any of that, and so escaped the facility in an "exciting introductory tutorial mission", only to find herself having to cope with life in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Some sort of biological and/or nuclear disaster has wiped out most of humanity (that just keeps happening, doesn't it?), and a few survivors are eking out some kind of life in a relatively unaffected area in the south west of what was once the United States.

"You can have my organs! Put me back in the pod!"

She finds herself helping out in a small community troubled by raider scum and a rather worrying toxic waste problem. She soon eschews her newbie starter weapons in favour of this lovingly-fashioned piece of state-of-the-art killing technology: A plank of wood. Yes, she's proud to say she made this weapon herself. Quite the craftsman, ain't she? It actually does loads more damage than the fireaxe for some reason, no doubt the love that went into making it.

She soon scavenges some clobber to better blend in with the local riff-raff. Now while the game might not have the latest snazzy graphics (it has been going since 2009, I think), the day/night cycle does lead to some rather beautiful sunrises and sunsets (like the one Yewande is ignoring in the above picture). Star Wars: The Rather Expensive Old Republic may be much prettier generally, but it doesn't even have day/night cycles. All the planets in the Star Wars galaxy seem to be tidally-locked to their suns. So free game wins on that (admittedly not very important) score.

A little while later and she is a little better equipped to survive in this harsh new world. From the neck up at any rate, she has adopted a look partially based on the eyepatch-wearing Angelina Jolie in... er... That Thing Where Angelina Jolie Wears An Eyepatch.

Forget the trusty old plank. Wooden planks are now obsolete technology. The crossbow is the weapon of the future!

The game world seems massive at the moment (as I am unfamiliar with it). She has covered but a tiny fraction of just one of the areas but it is still too big to walk everywhere. So you're going to need a mount.

Meet my trusty steed, Divorce Referendum. She bought him as an untrained horse and trained him to be a cargo mount. It means he can carry lots of her stuff, but she can't fight from his back. I'm thinking I maybe should have made him a combat mount instead. It is rather annoying having to get off the horse to fight all the time. Oh well, I'll just have to get used to being mounted infantry instead of cavalry (or get another horse).

As well as horses you can get quad bikes, motorcycles, Mad Max-style junk-buggies and also cars. But that's all a little out of my reach at the minute and so for now I'll have to make do with old Divorce Referendum.

A girl and her horse enjoying another Arizona sunset.

Our heroine runs into a little bother on the road...

"Excuse me, miss. Could you give me directions to..."

"Ouch! Watch where you're pointing that thing! You could have my (other) eye out with that!"

"Miss? Er, miss?"

Hostile giant mutant rabbits. You have got to be fucking kidding.

If you want to have nice things but don't have cash, you'll have to get used to rummaging in bin bags and getting your hands all mucky. Scavenging is an important skill, as there aren't really any shopping malls. You can buy gear from other players with the in-game poker chip currency, or with real-life money from the Fallen Earth website; but otherwise you're going to have to make your own stuff out of junk you find. Later in the show, Konnie Huq will be showing the viewers how to make a model of Tracy Island out of a bunch of medical waste she found round the back of the town clinic.

Contemplating a new look. What do you think? Yes? no? Can she carry it off?

So there we are. I'm having a blast in this game at the moment, and it ain't costing me a cent. As I said it is free to download and also free to play: no monthly subscription. You can get perks and gear by paying cash, but the game is perfectly serviceable played for free. So if any Lead Adventurers are out there already, or if you like MMOs or Fallout-style games and want to give it a go, maybe you can say hello when you're out there in the wasteland. You can download it from the Fallen Earth website ( http://www.gamersfirst.com/fallenearth/ ), or if you are on Steam you can get it straight from there.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 12:29:25 AM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Fallen Earth
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 02:46:50 PM »
This looks pretty good. The Gameplay is what I dislike about most MMOs as well, but also the immersion-ruining idiots you can run into spamming chat with racism etc...

I'll watch this thread I think :D

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 08:43:04 AM »
This sounds and looks really good to me. Shame I don't get the bloody time!  :D

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 12:11:44 PM »
I definitly need a new computer to replace my 10years old powermac and linux intel single core machine lol

Offline Zaheer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 07:08:08 PM »
Come on Divorce Referendum! Come on Divorce Referendum!

This does look good, I suppose i should stay clear though for fear of never finishing anything again.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 08:23:29 PM »
I wondered if anyone would get the reference.  ;)

I have a new horse now, called Tickdollaroo (you can actually name your horses in-game, it isn't just in my head). Tickdollaroo's not a reference to anything, other than the nerve disorder Tic Douloureux, which seems to crop up a lot in my grandmother's war stories and is a word that has always fascinated me.  ;D

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 08:55:59 PM »
Tickdollaroo!  :)

Offline A_Train

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 09:07:29 PM »
I probably couldn't play it anyway, but I was turned off as soon as I saw you could use real money to get items.  That's the way a lot of games are going, especially if they are free to play (and download!).  But it seems that just paying to get a bunch of good items could ruin the flow of this game.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 09:20:57 PM »
Maybe you are right, but £0.00 to acquire the game, and £0.00/month sure beats the hell out of £40 and £16/month from where I'm sitting.  :)

The only manifestation of it I have seen so far is low-level newbie players riding around on motorbikes (which otherwise take a lot of work to get). Not really game-breaking, just a shortcut to a cool ride. As far as I can see, most of the things available for sale on the website are vanity items, things that make you stand out from the crowd but without giving you any gameplay advantage. Either that or stuff that facilitates quicker or easier crafting, or faster levelling. I guess I'll see how it turns out.

Offline Clearco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • Clearco Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 10:08:27 PM »
Thanks for the info Plynkes! It looks good, I´ll give it a try :)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 11:53:53 AM »
Prof, please move this if you think a non-mini thread doesn't belong here

No problem at all, as long as its board theme related, I never said we may not post non-mini threads to the boards.

Nice report!