Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:47:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Necromunda - Inquisitor warband (page 6)  (Read 19950 times)

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
Re: Necromunda - Goliath gang
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 04:53:54 PM »
Wow, lovely stuff. Never a big fan of Goliath, always thought they were a bit silly. That kind of intrigues me though!

The colours scheme (or should I say, lack of) works really well for them. Good work! I would do something with their bases to add a little colour though, perhaps some patches of grass tufts?

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 05:16:58 PM »
Very cool, contary to these other people though the Goliaths were my first gang of choice and I alwatys rather liked them. You did a splendid job and the colour scheme is very cool!
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 03:35:26 AM »
Lovely paint jobs!  :-*

Artificial tans in the Underhive?  lol

Offline Thib-0

• Librarian
    • CT-Scenery
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 04:17:47 PM »
Thanks for the comments.  :)

If you wanted to expand the Goliaths in the future (likely with some hand-to-hand weapons and pistols), I can confirm that the new Goliaths are a great match in both size and style. Furthermore, the new Juves are much better than the old ones too (who looked far too weedy to be proper Goliaths IMO!).

I'm afraid I will continue with the classic figures? Would like to try some conversions on the plastic ones. The newer models are very nice though.

Artificial tans in the Underhive?

... a lot of UV-rays with underhive lights  ::)

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2012, 02:38:29 AM »
Again, the paint jobs look fantastic.  :-*

When I saw their tan skin I thought of these muscular meat heads tanning themselves in between gang fights to show off their "bulging muscles"

"bulging muscles: should be pronounced in your best Arnold impersonation.  :D

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2012, 08:41:14 AM »
Could be spray-tans?  :D

One thing is certain though; where ever the Goliath HQ is, it's sure to have a lot of floor to ceiling mirrors...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2012, 08:50:04 AM »
I'm afraid I will continue with the classic figures? Would like to try some conversions on the plastic ones. The newer models are very nice though.

I can appreciate that!  8)

I only made the comments as:

- Most of the new sculpted gang models don't fit in well with the originals

- The Goliaths had only a small number of models sculpted for them (along with the Van Saar, they have the smallest range)

- Few of the old Goliath models are armed in any sort of helpful or fluffy manner

- The plastics were pretty damned awful (sorry, but I think they are! :( )

If you are going to do some conversions of the originals though, I *really* look forward to seeing what you come up with! ;)

Offline Tacgnol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2012, 11:11:03 AM »
I'm another one who never really liked the Goliaths. Least favourite gang at the time Necromunda came out, and so forth, but these are really something. Might dig out the one Goliath plastic I have lying around somewhere now.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2012, 11:32:11 AM »
I agree with the Major up there; the original lines, no matter what you think of their looks, were quite limited in their range and their weaponry.

The re-invented line, in case of the Goliaths at least, was an improvement in terms of looks (I think those Goliaths do look cool), but don't mash well with the original lines. That was especially true for the Orlocks, who went from a West Side Story look to a Hell's Angel look somehow.

I have some sidelined Escher (2nd gang) and Cawdor gangs (still) waiting for paint, and I've opted for a lot of weapon swaps, instead of going with the original armament, as that was a universally bad choice on each model, except some juves here and there.

Also, I never went with the 'convert as you progress' idea GW wanted you to go with; when painted, a mini has reached the end of the line for me; I never change a finished mini. And back in the day, magnets were not even conceived as an option. Just another attempt to make their games into selling-even-more-miniatures-machines if you ask me...

A friend of mine has made a Goliath gang from Catachan plastics, with magnetized weapons, and those work pretty well. But I'm with you on the 'only original minis' angle. But I do convert the originals to at least be equiped with sensible weapons, instead of, let's say, a Grenade Launcher on a Leader, or a Laspistol and a Boltgun... ::)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2012, 01:12:44 PM »
Actually, another thought just struck me: there are other "original Goliaths"...

You could try a conversion using the Auto/Plasma pistol Scummer, and also the second-wave Pitslaves (one was itself a conversion from a Goliath model, the other was converted from a WHQ Pit Fighter originally). They might be especially helpful in getting some close-combat models in there.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2012, 07:35:14 AM »
A couple of years ago, I saw a Goliath gang painted up as a bunch of wrestlers, complete with hoods, capes and spandex. The fluff behind the gang was also rather... cozy ::)

It did look pretty (deliberate choice of word there) unique, and the backstory was hilarious.

I still like these limited pallette Goliaths better though...

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2012, 09:05:15 AM »
A couple of years ago, I saw a Goliath gang painted up as a bunch of wrestlers, complete with hoods, capes and spandex. The fluff behind the gang was also rather... cozy ::)

It did look pretty (deliberate choice of word there) unique, and the backstory was hilarious.

Was that "The Buns of Steele" by any chance? I thought it was a great gang and it also had some good tactics discussion too.

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2012, 10:53:27 AM »
Nice painting on the S&M....sorry........"Goliath" crew.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2012, 11:26:19 AM »
Was that "The Buns of Steele" by any chance? I thought it was a great gang and it also had some good tactics discussion too.
Now that you mention it; I think it was, indeed! Thanks  :)

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
    • War In A Box - New Location!
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2012, 07:07:51 AM »
Actually, another thought just struck me: there are other "original Goliaths"...

You could try a conversion using the Auto/Plasma pistol Scummer, and also the second-wave Pitslaves (one was itself a conversion from a Goliath model, the other was converted from a WHQ Pit Fighter originally). They might be especially helpful in getting some close-combat models in there.

The first thing I did with my Goliath gang was clip off the mohawks.  The second thing I did was pick up a few Catachan heavies: