Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:03:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690746
  • Total Topics: 118345
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: NUTS and Weird War 2 NUTS.  (Read 2920 times)

Offline Benny

• Librarian
NUTS and Weird War 2 NUTS.
« on: October 22, 2012, 12:00:11 PM »
A quick question about NUTS and the supplements, do they do experience for units or individual figures that survive game to game. I have been reading about all the different games available on 2 Hour Wargames and some say they have and experience and campaign system and some dont. Does that mean that the some of the games do and some don't or they all do and its just not mentioned all the time in the blurb. If they don't have a campaign system, would you be able to take one form one of the other 2 hour Wargames games across to nuts and fight small skirmish games a bit like GamesWorkshops Necromunda or Mordenheim but with squads of Americans, Russians, Germans and Brits instead of gangs in the underhive or is it more intended for one off games?

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
    • SBMiniguys Blog for all things OstFront
Re: NUTS and Weird War 2 NUTS.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 08:49:54 PM »
Hi,
The NUTS system (and War Without End) is based around the concept of your player controlling a core unit -- usually an infantry squad or a vehicle crew -- and other units in the game can be considered "reinforcements" for campaign purposes (even if it's part of the same platoon structure). Your core unit, each figure, can improve their Reputation attribute through a simple experience check system, gain positive or negative notice by Command, and if you win a scenario you can keep item drops your figures have collected before the game ends. Figures that are knocked Out of the Fight can make a recovery roll to see if they rejoin your core unit (sometimes with penalty to its Reputation), and if you had any figures that were killed you make a Replacement roll. This roll can (optionally) be modified by the type of campaign you're in -- if you're playing "Stalingrad: Heroes All," don't look for a lot of Replacements!!

So over time, as you win scenarios, your core surviving force will tend to become tougher (Reputation = Morale/Skill/Combat level all in one) and pick-up unique weapons and gear, though I've also seen figures end up degraded over time where a Player would really like to replace them and keeps getting stuck with them. You can also get the "FNG" effect. You might have 4-5 figures that end up surviving and becoming really good over successive games, and you also have a bunch of newbies that you don't value as much. So who takes point? Your Rep 5 Yank toting a captured Falschirmjager's FG-42 and a Panzerfaust, or the new Rep 3 Replacement guy fresh from Stateside with basic gear??

The NUTS Weird War book follows this same campaign/experience structure.

NUTS also has a very good on-the-fly campaign generator and mission generator system, and all of the supplements have unique campaigns in them. For example, there's three-part mini-campaign in War Without End called "Amerika Strike!" (fantastic German strike on Washington, DC) while other books, like Blood Upon the Risers (Normandy, Airborne) and Stalingrad have a lengthy series of linked scenarios comprising a complete campaign setting.

I hope that helps.
Best,
-John-

A quick question about NUTS and the supplements, do they do experience for units or individual figures that survive game to game. I have been reading about all the different games available on 2 Hour Wargames and some say they have and experience and campaign system and some dont. Does that mean that the some of the games do and some don't or they all do and its just not mentioned all the time in the blurb. If they don't have a campaign system, would you be able to take one form one of the other 2 hour Wargames games across to nuts and fight small skirmish games a bit like GamesWorkshops Necromunda or Mordenheim but with squads of Americans, Russians, Germans and Brits instead of gangs in the underhive or is it more intended for one off games?
Play the game, not the players!
http://sbminisguy.wordpress.com/
Author for THW/NUTS, Rebel Minis, HR Games

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 12:02:08 AM »
This a new idea Benny?  ;)

Offline Benny

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 08:05:40 AM »
That does help a lot John, thanks. It answers most of my questions about NUTS and seems like the type of game i hoped it would be, now i might need to get a copy and play a few games.

Hat Guy, i will explain my evil and cunning plan to you soon... If your lucky.

One last point John, do all the Two Hour Games follow the same basic mechanics? so could i take creatures or rules from a different game of theirs (After The Horsemen or 5150 for example) and add or combine them to the NUTS game if i wanted to?

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 01:18:28 AM »
Pretty close. The core mechanics are all fairly similar so it's easy to port critters over from book to book. War Without End has a good range of Zeds based on ATZ. What critters/monsters did you have in mind? Maybe I could help translate them for you.
Best,
-John-

That does help a lot John, thanks. It answers most of my questions about NUTS and seems like the type of game i hoped it would be, now i might need to get a copy and play a few games.

Hat Guy, i will explain my evil and cunning plan to you soon... If your lucky.

One last point John, do all the Two Hour Games follow the same basic mechanics? so could i take creatures or rules from a different game of theirs (After The Horsemen or 5150 for example) and add or combine them to the NUTS game if i wanted to?

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 06:13:44 PM »
Just a heads up crew, John is the author of Nuts! War Without End so if you got a questions for it he is the man to ask.

Great rulebook JC,
Brian
Keep it WEIRD!

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 07:32:35 PM »
Thanks, Brian! My two follow-on projects keep glaring at me from the shelf -- a WW2 NUTS occult book and a WW2 NUTS superheroes book...honest, fellas, I'll get to ya!! Btw, there are some stat conversions for DUST, Gear Krieg and MekaTank figures at the Two Hour Wargames Yahoo! Group, plus a "Design Kit" rule set that lets you create your own vehicles from scratch.

Just a heads up crew, John is the author of Nuts! War Without End so if you got a questions for it he is the man to ask.

Great rulebook JC,
Brian

Offline Bubbles

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 04:12:43 AM »
How large can nuts games get and is the Stat feature an addition thats essential to the game or can you just use it for campaigns and not one off games.

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 08:50:08 AM »
Most of the NUTS games I've played come in at around a platoon per side, plus support and the odd vehicle. I think THW is working on an extension to allow larger battles. The "stat"? DO you mean "Reputation?" That's the core morale/training attribute. If you mean the special attributes like "Crack shot" and "Fast" and so on, you only use those for your "core" squad, and not for other figures -- you could opt not to use them at all as well.
Cheers,
-John-