Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:18:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690921
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 7
Guests: 433
Total: 440

Recent

Author Topic: WW1 French Halflings - Test Sculpt  (Read 6054 times)

Offline black hat miniatures

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackhat.co.uk/
WW1 French Halflings - Test Sculpt
« on: October 24, 2012, 09:21:10 PM »

This is a test sculpt for a WW1 French Halfling officer with the idea of providing opposition to the WW1 Goblin range.

I'm hoping to produce early and late uniformed halflings, plus the usual riflemen, machine gunners, etc. 

At the moment I am trying to judge what interest there would be and what else people would like to see.

thanks

Mike
Mike Lewis

Black Hat Miniatures
www.blackhat.co.uk

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
Re: WW1 French Halflings - Test Sculpt
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 01:01:59 AM »
Nice sculpt!  Not my area of specialty, so I doubt I would be buying, but I imagine those who are into weird war stuff would like it  ;)
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 01:40:25 AM »

I love WWI, I love the French Army and I love Halfling...I'm in!  lol
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 01:49:11 AM »
Not my area either but they do look like fun - all the best with it!

Any plans for a cooking pot/ beer barrel tank?  ;)

Offline Maspalio

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 08:10:58 AM »
Good !!!  :-* :-*

Allons enfants de la patrie !!!

it could be fun to make some bearded halflings to recall the poilus (beware not making dwarves  lol lol)

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 09:45:31 AM »
I loooooove it! Would have preferred Gnomes to be fully honest, but they should be easy enough to convert. Give them beards and shoes and I'm set!!!

Fantastic stuff, I hope to see more.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 01:32:31 PM »
Nice sculpt!  Not my area of specialty, so I doubt I would be buying, but I imagine those who are into weird war stuff would like it  ;)

same.  same, same, disagree  slightly.

WWW2 turned me off to the whole Weird War thing initially but I no longer feel so negatively about the concept - just still won't consider playing it.  I have the impression that WWW (1 or 2) is more "verge of the Apocalypse" (Pre-apocalyptic?) or very dark SFRPG style looking games.  These are more, (IMPBO) a blend of Fantasy (halfling, goblin) and historical looking weaponry (replacing nationality with race/species.)  IIRC, there are currently "large 28 mm" WW 1 style halfling figures in a current line of miniatures (Hassle Free?) on hte market.  How would these compare to those?  I could see someone pitting "British halflings versus "French" halflings ina  re-imagined "historical" WW1 skirmish game.

Gracias,

Glenn

IMPBO = In My Poor Benighted Opinion -hopefully not beknighted...
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 02:03:51 PM »
VERY COOL IDEA & you did a FINE job bringing them to life. I wonder how well they'd work with the Quar. That aside, VERY WELL DONE!

Not my area either but they do look like fun - all the best with it!

Any plans for a cooking pot/ beer barrel tank?  ;)

In keeping with the Arms Race, the Goblins will be needing Mechanize Mega Mushrooms.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 09:23:13 PM »
Conquistador, I agree. Less weird war, more fantasy.

It's natural progression, most Fantasy backgrounds are set in Medieval or Dark Ages really. Warhammer even pushes into the boundaries of Horse and Musket.

Flintloque, Pax Bochemannica, Panzerfauste and the ranges of miniatures from Black Hat and Hasslefree (Even White Knight's Landschnecht Fantasy, along with Foundry) all promote this idea. Each has a distinct flavour, but I'd say it all came about from an article in a wargames magazines many moons ago, before Flintloque came around. This is according to Steve Blease, who is the owner of Wessex Games and was a big part in the development of the original Flintloque game. The article, IIRC was discussing Marlburian Goblins, why not!

Some people think it is 'too soon'. I can see where they are coming from, but that is why I think it is important that if you make it into a game, it only loosely follows the actual history. Just be careful about what you say. Panzerfauste, for example, has no 'German dictator' type dwarf, it would be in very poor taste! It's a mix of WW1 and WW2 smashed about with a bit of Tolkien and a dollop of playful fun.

I'm looking forward to seeing where Black Hat go, alongside the Hasslefree British Halflings and soon to be released Dwarf Russians there should be enough to get some good games going.

I for one am dying for some larger races! Bring in the Orcs, the Elves, the Undead, the Trolls and Ogres! However much I like diminuative fantasy races, I want some normal ones too!!!

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 09:23:54 PM »
p.s. I will be buying these, in bulk, in multiples too I am sure.
Any chance you could put these ranges into 'unit packs' too. It would save a lot of headaches!!!

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 01:55:33 PM »
It's a mix of WW1 and WW2 smashed about with a bit of Tolkien and a dollop of playful fun.

Add a dash of psychedalica and you have the Ralph Bakshi movie "Wizards"... (For example, if you can lay your hands on any of the OOP miniatures for the Kenzer wargame "Fairy Meat" and the gnome-mechanics supplement entitled "Clockwork Stomp", you're golden. And I think that Zombiesmith's Quar fit in with the "Wizards" theme too.)

Yet another game that will never happen, buit it's fuin to contemplate. Though, as may pal Scott says "That's, um,specialized."
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

workerBee

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 07:08:43 PM »
<snip>

Some people think it is 'too soon'. I can see where they are coming from, but that is why I think it is important that if you make it into a game, it only loosely follows the actual history. <snip>

I'm looking forward to seeing where Black Hat go, alongside the Hasslefree British Halflings and soon to be released Dwarf Russians there should be enough to get some good games going.

I for one am dying for some larger races! Bring in the Orcs, the Elves, the Undead, the Trolls and Ogres! However much I like diminuative fantasy races, I want some normal ones too!!!

Well,I am sure there are a group of people who are wondering, "Why did it take so long?"   :o As a person who covets the "M-i-i-i-i-i-c-e in S-p-a-a-a-a-a-c-e!"  miniatures  :o  :o I suppose I should never call anyone's vision as 'niche' no matter what induced that 'vision' if truth be known.   lol  ::)

Even if I never buy a single miniature along these lines I will certainly enjoy seeing them come to fruition.   ;)   :)

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 07:19:39 PM »
Believe me, I have played games with these kinds of models before and sometimes people just get offended because of how few years have really passed since then.

Even now people complain about the Russians being undead in Flintloque and Alternative Armies can no longer paint their Halflings with Dark Skin.

I will buy anything that comes out. I'll stress I prefer fantasy races to anthropomorphic. Flintloque has gone about as far I would like, perhaps a little further with the rabbits, Dogs (gnolls) and Toads (Slann), I can handle, but anything else starts to get silly.

As I said before, I'd recommend gnomes for the French. It's different, no one else has done it and they can be somewhere between a Halfling and a dwarf. The Russian Dwarves that Hasslefree are about to put out are very stocky, typical of Bob Olley. With that in mind, the gnomes could be somewhere inbetween the two, with smaller, neater beards.
Look at the gnomes for Panzerfauste and then 'update' them.  ;) That would be my dreeaaam!

workerBee

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 07:33:22 PM »
Believe me, I have played games with these kinds of models before and sometimes people just get offended because of how few years have really passed since then.

Even now people complain about the Russians being undead in Flintloque and Alternative Armies can no longer paint their Halflings with Dark Skin.

I will buy anything that comes out. I'll stress I prefer fantasy races to anthropomorphic. Flintloque has gone about as far I would like, perhaps a little further with the rabbits, Dogs (gnolls) and Toads (Slann), I can handle, but anything else starts to get silly.

As I said before, I'd recommend gnomes for the French. It's different, no one else has done it and they can be somewhere between a Halfling and a dwarf. The Russian Dwarves that Hasslefree are about to put out are very stocky, typical of Bob Olley. With that in mind, the gnomes could be somewhere inbetween the two, with smaller, neater beards.
Look at the gnomes for Panzerfauste and then 'update' them.  ;) That would be my dreeaaam!

Doesn't Brigade Games do ethnic flavored gun toting gnomes?

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 07:49:07 PM »

That may sound like an odd request but would it be possible to have pictures of these figures with Copplestone, Brigade or Artizan figures… for "scale" reference?

...and, as a side note, Brigade Games do have a whole "Gnome War" range 8)