Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:38:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689605
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 610
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A couple of Quick Rules Questions  (Read 4121 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
A couple of Quick Rules Questions
« on: March 14, 2008, 06:51:59 PM »
Hi Björn, Chris. Am finally going to give your rules a test drive tomorrow (I know I've had them for months, sorry about that), and was wondering if you could clear up something for me. I couldn't find answers on the boards already, apologies if this has already been dealt with.

1) Mainly, what happens if a unit charges another unit that is already Pinned? Are they automatically wiped out, or does being pinned not disadvantage you in melee at all? Also, should existing suppressions alter your chances in a close-up fight, the same way they do when you are shooting?

2) The other thing isn't needed for tomorrow, but will be in another game I'm planning in my head. I couldn't find anywhere how fast aircraft move. What is their move rate?

Thanks, and sorry if these are obvious questions and it's all there already in front of me and I've just missed it (that is a distinct possibility, knowing me).
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: A couple of Quick Rules Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 07:09:46 PM »
Don´t recall talking about those, so here´s my take. Best wait for Björn, for a final verdict, though.

Quote from: "Plynkes"

1) Mainly, what happens if a unit charges another unit that is already Pinned? Are they automatically wiped out, or does being pinned not disadvantage you in melee at all? Also, should existing suppressions alter your chances in a close-up fight, the same way they do when you are shooting?

Indeed, an oversight. My apologies. Not in the FAQ, either... my take would be to have the charged unit take an immediate Morale Check; if they pass, they may fight against the charger, if they fail, they are removed from play as is the case with the "Stragglers" special rule.

2) The other thing isn't needed for tomorrow, but will be in another game I'm planning in my head. I couldn't find anywhere how fast aircraft move. What is their move rate?

Oh damn. I assume I got distracted by all that pesky landing and take-off business.

Well, the basic idea is that once you activate the plane, you place it on a table edge (previously indicated), facing in the intended direction of flight. Then, it moves in a straight line at any desired distance and "stops" there to perform its action (such as dropping bombs or firing machine-guns or having the observer try to capture that pesky carrier pigeon X-D). Perform the action.

The plane remains in this position for the duration of this card´s activation (ie all other open cards with lesser initiative may then act) AND the next activation. This is to represent the comparatively low speed of the craft, giving some opportunities for well-placed units to fire at it.

Once the last unit of the second activation has acted, the plane flies straight off the table and may return in subsequent turns.

Now that I re-read it, it sounds terribly unclear, dare I say Peersian... Expect a re-written version of the vehicle rules in our forthcoming T&T Compendium.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 07:18:54 PM »
Thanks, mate. Clears things up nicely.

I get where you're coming from more with the plane rules now you put it like that. An attack run, chance of being shot at for a short while, then gone. Fly off, turn around and have another go in a later turn. Nice one. Sorted.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 07:20:11 PM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
Thanks, mate. Clears things up nicely.

I get where you're coming from more with the plane rules now you put it like that. An attack run, chance of being shot at for a short while, then gone. Fly off, turn around and have another go in a later turn. Nice one. Sorted.

That´s it pretty much. But it should really be a bit clearer in the text.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 08:33:22 PM »
Plynkes !

We didnt say it 100 % clearly.  I apologize.

You can play it like Chris said ( test morale)
I play it different. Pinned units that are charged are immediately destroyed and removed from play. The idea was that pinned units are treated like retrating units. Please see page 15 left side 2nd pragraph.

Thank you Plynkes we need to change that. Iam curious on your game report and how you get along with the rules.

Cheers
Björn
, ,

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 09:26:43 PM »
You can play it like Chris said ( test morale)
I play it different. Pinned units that are charged are immediately destroyed and removed from play. The idea was that pinned units are treated like retrating units. Please see page 15 left side 2nd pragraph.

That´s what I´d deem a bit excessive, because being pinned down by heavy fire or wounded is a bit different from a full-out rout, but of course, your variant makes for less dice-rolling and a more brutal, if faster-paced game.

I think both are equally valid. Given that there´s quite a coincidence of factors (pinned unit, enemy unit in charge range, pinned unit cannot rally in time), it is no ubiquitous situation. As said, it depends on what style you wish to play.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 09:45:11 PM »
Oh no! They're bickering! What have I done? :)  My instinct was to go with Björn. My opponent Sicklee is inclined to follow Chris (typical, he always takes a contrary position to whatever I say, on general principle).

Perhaps we shall settle it with a quick game of Wings of War. Whoever triumphs in the skies over Flanders can decide which version of the rule we shall use.   :)

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 11:26:28 PM »
A dog fight over flandern is a jolly good idea. :)

I always played it that way and all the games showed that this "charge a pinned unit and destroy it " works pretty good. It does not happen that often.

I must admit that I like Chris idea. Its only one more dice roll and it simulates a final attempt to avoid destruction.

So why not try both and tell us what you liked better.

Are you playing a great war scenario tomorrow ?

Cheers
Björn

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 12:13:59 AM »
Yes, it's just a small test game quickly thrown together with available figures and terrain at short notice (I don't know why, but today I suddenly got an urge to play T&T). While the Great War rages in other parts of the world, in an obscure corner of Central Afrika the Belgians and Germans are hunting for gold. It's whereabouts were unknown for twenty years but now it has been found... (drum roll)

The Lost Payroll of the Beckmanntruppe!

(Sort of Kelly's Heroes without tanks and with Askaris.)

(I figured that the whole 'charge a pinned unit' thing might not crop up much, but I figured it would be a good idea to know what to do just in case it did. Thanks for the replies.)

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 08:08:42 AM »
This sounds like a good story. The title is great  :)
Hope a camera is with you. And what about German sailor Grimm ?
 :lol: