Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:29:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy art book recommendations  (Read 1331 times)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Fantasy art book recommendations
« on: October 29, 2012, 08:06:47 AM »
I'm after a fantasy art book to help me out with some concept art for sculpting some creatures basically just to improve my sculpting skills. Mostly I'm after a book with lots of monsters in it. I've been thinking about D&D monster manuals and pathfinder beastiaries. I have a few PDF books with monster pics but don't want to spend a lot of money printing them off in full colour and I want a book in front of me so that I don't need to sculpt in front of the computer.
Any recommendations would be great. Even if they are comics with loads of monsters in them. As I have young kids in the house I don't particularly want things to be too adult in content.
Thanks in advance.  :)

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
Re: Fantasy art book recommendations
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 08:56:03 AM »
Wayne Barlowe's books would be the obvious choices I'd say. Unlike, say, stuff by H.R.Giger, Barlowe's work rarely contains dangly bitz recognizable as such :P
http://waynebarlowe.wordpress.com/

A quick peruse of Amazon's "also bought" list brought up Carlos Huante, Adolf Schaller and Terryl Whitlatch you might like to look up as well.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 09:03:13 AM by tnjrp »

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 04:14:50 AM »
If you can find them, the old Frank Franzetta art books are great.  Lots of creatures mixed in with the scantly clad damsels in distress.  A little Amazon fu got this:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_1_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=frank+frazetta&sprefix=frank+fran%2Caps%2C0
My two cents.
Snitchy sends. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 07:27:29 AM »
Oops. Thought I had replied to this thread. Terry's whit latch looks good. So does frank. I did just get a book about drawing undead by Keith someone. Still on the look out for more ideas thanks for these. They'll go on my wishlist