Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:50:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Silly question about 15mm & Tudor houses  (Read 1724 times)

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
Silly question about 15mm & Tudor houses
« on: October 29, 2012, 03:44:10 PM »
Hi,
I might sound foolish, but what size is 15mm? Can someone tell me how many centimetres a man-sized 15mm figure is, and perhaps post a comparison shot of a 15mm figure and a 28mm one?
I'm asking this because I made two Tudor houses, originally just for fun:

The textures are edited textures from the internet.
They are approximately 6cm high and the doors are 2cm high. Maybe, if 15mm figures are the right size, I will buy some Tudor figures, since I already have some terrain pieces.
\\\"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon \\\'em.\\\"

-William Shakespeare

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
Re: Silly question about 15mm & Tudor houses
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 10:13:03 PM »
The size of miniatures is (officially) at eye level. Measure the height of your eyes from the ground, and that is an answer ::)

But in past times:

1) Average size was smaller than now,

but

2) Doors were not high. People accepted that the door of their house was smaller than themselves, and they bent their head when passing a door, because large doors let the warmth out of the house, and were more difficult to build, and to defend etc.

In my opinion, 2cm high doors are a little too big for 15mm miniatures. BUT miniatures have a base and the base change the visual aspect, so in fact your doors would look right, perhaps smaller doors would not look right because of the basing.

Anyway it's your opinion, play with 15mm miniatures around your houses and listen to what your friends say :)

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 06:32:22 AM »
Thanks for the reply!

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 12:52:29 PM »
I completely agree with Patrice that if it looks right - it is right.

Bases do change how people 'look' against scenery. Also, they make for wide corridors (most people do not have a 2m wide space aound them at all times) and mean that accurately-sized doors look to small (no-one would ever be able to get through a real door if they needed 1m of clearance either side).

Many real-scale buildings don't look very good on the gaming table because they 'look' too big. I think, this is because we're used to seeing things from a human point of view. From 'down there' people are the right size, and building just tower over us. from above, where we are looking down like gods, 'people' (ie minis) look like ants when the buildings are the right size. I was involved once in a conversation about building the Reichstag for 28mm minis and I think we realised the 'terrain piece' would still be about 30' or 10m long...

15mm as Patrice says does not really mean 15mm to the top of the head (it should, but it doesn't, many 15mm figs can be around 18mm). But if a figure 18mm high represents someone about 1.8m (1800mm) then that's a fairly straightforward 1:100 conversion. If it's a 15mm figure representing a 1800mm person, that's around 1:120. those scales might give you some idea as to what you can play with, but I'll repeat again, that the best guide is not some calculation of scale, but what looks right.

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 03:29:27 AM »
With your doors at 20 mm (2 cm) then the larger 15mm (18 mm) would work better than some of the smaller ones.  Off the top of my head, I'd suggest Exxex (if they have the right period, not one I follow very close - the period, that is). Nice work on the buildings, by the way.

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 07:31:03 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I had already visited the Essex miniatures website, and their figures look great. I think I might buy some of those.