Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:30:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Strangely drawn to Back of Beyond ..  (Read 31124 times)

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Strangely drawn to Back of Beyond ..
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2012, 02:01:41 PM »
Thanks fellas

I was wondering if i was missing a trick

Your STEA rulebook looks great Sir! I've only had a flick at it for now but the photos alone are inspiring*

I'm cleaning/basing my Sutton/Cohen & bandit figures at the moment

Cheers, James

* good to see that i can use my German Askari/Schutztruppe too for this period  ;)

You are very kind sir
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2012, 05:26:07 PM »
Q please - Unit Designation: as a general rule, would C2 troops have M2, C3 M3 etc? I appreciate that you could go up or down a level accordingly but wondered what the basic position is

Also, just spotted the new White Russian Lancers. If i was going to put only one unit of cavalry in with my Warlord Chinese (yeah i know, who are we kidding but lets pretend for the moment) what would you put in there? Chinese Cavalry or something more exotic? I'm going to theme mine on the Fengtian Army 1920/28

Thanks chaps
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 05:27:49 PM by H.M.Stanley »
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2012, 11:02:59 AM »
Q please - Unit Designation: as a general rule, would C2 troops have M2, C3 M3 etc? I appreciate that you could go up or down a level accordingly but wondered what the basic position is

Also, just spotted the new White Russian Lancers. If i was going to put only one unit of cavalry in with my Warlord Chinese (yeah i know, who are we kidding but lets pretend for the moment) what would you put in there? Chinese Cavalry or something more exotic? I'm going to theme mine on the Fengtian Army 1920/28

Thanks chaps

Yes there is usually a relationship, so well trained troops will have a good or very good morale, and vice versa.  However you can play it any way you want depending on the scenario.  For example of a lot of well trained and experienced western European troops in 1919/20 could be relatively low morale due to wanting to be demobbed.  The British in Archangel at this time would be one such example.  Upto you really.

Chinese cavalry would either be the regular types of nags (which Copplestone does) or irregular tartar types (which he also does).  The lancers were only one unit one warlords army.  But hey, its not for real most of this, so have the heck what you want!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 05:39:19 PM by Ignatieff »

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2012, 11:16:02 AM »
Thank you chap

I like the idea of WL Chinese Cavalry really but can see me getting some Irregulars too

Appreciate the confirmation on the rules.

Cheers,

James

Offline d(sqrt(-1))

• Assistant
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2012, 02:42:44 PM »

Ok, I give in, am going to Warfare on Sat, will see if I can pick up a copy of STEA while there...

Mark

Offline d(sqrt(-1))

• Assistant
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2012, 02:44:50 PM »
I take it all back ... my Darkest Africa Germans may get a visit from the Brits  and/or FP at some point in the jungle too  lol

Hey don't forget that you need to rendezvous with L59 for resupply...

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2012, 04:05:59 PM »
My first game of STEA this Thurs with John; Anglo/Indians in Waziristan 1920 (to give John time to sort out his Bolos)

The rules look great fun.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2012, 08:52:41 AM »
A couple of Qs gentlemen if you don't mind:

1. Will, say, British always start with an NCO in each section of 10?

2. If an NCO is present, does it give him the +1 to Shooting or the entire unit?

3. Does each figure only ever get to fight a maximum of 2 figures of your opponent and vice versa?

4. If you only draw Combat, does anything happen if you're outnumbered by > 2:1

Many thanks

James
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 08:54:24 AM by H.M.Stanley »

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2012, 08:43:28 AM »
A couple of shots of my first game using STEA. Anglo/Indian in a fighting withdrawal against Waziris.

This shot is after turn 2. Nice " Commissar" John is commanding the British/Indians while seemingly having a crafty doze in the corner. The British force started within 9" of the table edge and has to retire 33% of its troops to the town at the far end of the table in order to win. None of the Waziers managed to make it into combat in the first couple of turns.

However, the Waziris cavalry did come on in a flanking manoeuvre (rolled a 6). We'd decided that they couldn't charge in its turn moving onto the board and they had to come on in their own half of the board. I was praying for their card to come up before the British unit in charge range who had their backs turned ....

« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 08:56:19 AM by H.M.Stanley »

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2012, 08:55:24 AM »
The Anglo/Indians retiring in good shape with the 2nd unit of Waziris (2nd from left) having taken heavily casualties from shooting already

You can just about make out in the final shot a couple of units of Indian troops in the background having been mauled by two units of Waziris. The British in the distance were being shot up too and had to retire, luckily towards their objective. I'd changed tactics and started to shoot with some units and move others rather than a headlong rush by all.

The nearest British unit turned to face the cavalry and shot them to pieces. The remnants of the cavalry did charge - it was a draw. We played it that the British could only fight with 2 figures per cavalry figure. This may have been wrong. Also, on the next British action card it could have surrounded the Waziris cavalry and captured it. We'd forgotten this rule

« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 09:26:44 AM by H.M.Stanley »

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2012, 09:19:54 AM »
Allah, peace be upon him, was not merciful. The Waziris having failed to engage the majority of the Anglo/Indian forces in combat, were badly shot up, failed repeated army moral tests and Routed.

We found the rules to be simple (my daft fault for forgetting surrendering) and fun. They're a keeper in my book.

Nice Commissar John is working on his Bolos and an armoured train for the next outing

Meanwhile, the British CO, Col. James Flashman O'Toole, has taken delivery of an Austrian Armoured Car that he won in a rigged poker game. He was better at cheating than the German Kommandant, naturally ....
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 09:29:48 AM by H.M.Stanley »

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2012, 09:56:07 AM »
NB: with hindsight, i should have moved that village/fields closer to the starting point and have the British/Indians fall back through it. The Waziris really needed more cover to make a proper game of it

Good fun though and it could have been very different if the Warriors had engaged them in combat early on and i'd had the Cavalry coming out of Ambush instead of a flanking move ...

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2012, 10:41:18 AM »
Cracking game!!!!

You are obviously using a 'beta' version of the rules as we dropped the N.C.O. rule in the published version.  In became too fiddly in the end.

Re multiple figure melees, the max. you can have is 2:1.  Any surplus figures can be dropped into subsequent rounds.  This prolongs things a tad, but does allow for more 'heroic' action.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2012, 03:32:58 PM »
I have the published book chap. There's mention of NCO's etc. I'll post the page reference but note they don't apply [EDIT: NCO mentioned at 10.2.6]

Good to see that i'd got it correct on a max of 2:1 in melee

Really enjoying using the rules  :)

Cheers,

James
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 04:49:21 PM by H.M.Stanley »

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2012, 09:09:37 PM »
I have the published book chap. There's mention of NCO's etc. I'll post the page reference but note they don't apply [EDIT: NCO mentioned at 10.2.6]

Good to see that i'd got it correct on a max of 2:1 in melee

Really enjoying using the rules  :)

Cheers,

James

Well spotted.  That shouldn't be there!  next edition you get a free copy!!!