Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:11:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Anyone know of any 14th figures?  (Read 3251 times)

Offline max

• Scientist
  • Medieval Mad
Anyone know of any 14th figures?
« on: November 01, 2012, 07:58:53 PM »
After seeing some images and reading a book on the hundreds years war, was wondering if anyone knew of any companies that made figures of this period. Looking for armour around the crecy period; bascinets, pig faced visors, plate on the arms and legs, etc...
Any scale really, 15mm, 20mm, 25mm, even 6mm if you know any as i'm not sure of a scale for this idea.
Thanks in advance!

Offline Rhodes

• Assistant
Re: Anyone know of any 14th figures?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 08:41:07 PM »
Front Rank figures might suit you.  I have a few, and quite like them.

http://www.frontrank.com/

Chris

Offline vonplutz

• Librarian
    • Žorsteinn į Heišini
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 09:37:49 PM »
Sorry to nit pick but one needs to be careful about armour of the 14th century. It went through such rapid change that the armour worn at Crecy was out dated byt Poitiers even though only a decade seperated them. For example you would not have seen any pig faced visors at Crecy, and very few if any at Poitiers.

The minis linked are nice, and it is a substantial HYW collection but in my humble opinion not all the figures can be used together as some are clearly of the 1340s, others the 1350s and some 1360s to the end of the century.

Offline max

• Scientist
  • Medieval Mad
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 10:07:37 PM »
To be honest this century is not my forte, so you'll have to excuse me :)
Thanks for the info

Offline vonplutz

• Librarian
    • Žorsteinn į Heišini
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 04:16:34 AM »
To be honest this century is not my forte, so you'll have to excuse me :)
Thanks for the info

No problem, just obsessed with the HYW for a few years now and especially the development of armour. Was there any specific part of the 14th century you were looking to portray?

Offline max

• Scientist
  • Medieval Mad
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 09:06:16 AM »
To be honest i was reading a book about the wars and there was a section on 14th centruy armour and the development towards the white armour, so i searched on google for some images and wondered whether there were any figures for this period. I do like the pig faced bascinets and the 'klapsvisor', and other than the main battles i don't know loads about the period (lots about gothic 15th century armour, but not 14th century!).
I could add some images i found but not sure if people will moan about copyright  ???

Offline 6sided

• Bookworm
  • Revolutionaryroads.com
    • Revolutionary Wargaming Roads
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 10:20:38 AM »
I think if you start worrying about types of bascinets etc you are into a world of madness.
GLORY - A new set of grand-tactical American Civil War Rules.

click for more info on Glory

Offline vonplutz

• Librarian
    • Žorsteinn į Heišini
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 04:50:43 PM »
To be honest i was reading a book about the wars and there was a section on 14th centruy armour and the development towards the white armour, so i searched on google for some images and wondered whether there were any figures for this period. I do like the pig faced bascinets and the 'klapsvisor', and other than the main battles i don't know loads about the period (lots about gothic 15th century armour, but not 14th century!).
I could add some images i found but not sure if people will moan about copyright  ???

If you're uncomfortable posting them feel free to PM them to me and I shall give you a bit of a run down time wise and what conflicts they could be appropriate for. You will start seeing some pig faced bascinets as early as Poitiers but that is really pushing it, by the 1360s they are more common and by 1370 quite common. I personally am a huge fan of the armour from the 1330s to 1350 as you can really see the though process of, "Damn arrows... will it help if I put a plate here? How about here? and maybe here?" and also you have a bunch of wild experimental visors as well as gorgets/proto-bevors coming into existence only to fade away in a matter of years.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 06:19:44 PM »
I seem to remember the Front Rank range being once separated into early and later HYW. Obviously gone now or just an error on my behalf.  o_o
Anyway, there's also Crusader which mainly focus on more lightly armed soldiers (even if some labelled as "knights"). Therefore the models generally aren't that period specific as, say, most of the Perry ones, which are rather late.
Currently, I'm writing up a review of the all-new Claymore Castings miniatures. They fit into a phase just prior to and extending into the area covered by the Perries.
And finally, going further back in time, there's Foundry, of course! Their ex-Citadel range is very good - but, be careful, there are some later additions in there which are no match to the earlier ones sculpted by the Perry Bros.

Unfortunately, in smaller scales there isn't that much available - at least to my humble knowledge. From first-hand experience I can only recommend Corvus Belli and Donnington, both in 15mm. They cover about the same period, i.e. the later phase of the wars, probably from the 1360s onwards (I stand to be corrected). Both ranges are quite nice, CB in particular, though it won't be expanded for the foreseeable future.

Personal recommendation: If you want to avoid much of the hassle of 'authentic equipment', go for the post-1400 phase, excellently covered by the Perries, and supplement them with models from earlier ranges mentioned above. It's always easier to justify old-fashioned equipment in an army than something ahead of its own time. ;)

Offline vonplutz

• Librarian
    • Žorsteinn į Heišini
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 06:40:58 PM »
Unfortunately, in smaller scales there isn't that much available - at least to my humble knowledge. From first-hand experience I can only recommend Corvus Belli and Donnington, both in 15mm. They cover about the same period, i.e. the later phase of the wars, probably from the 1360s onwards (I stand to be corrected). Both ranges are quite nice, CB in particular, though it won't be expanded for the foreseeable future.

Yea I haven't seen any 15mm that arent 1360s+ The Corvus Belli are really nice though and since Max seems to like the pig faced bascinets it is a good range.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 07:12:43 PM »

Black Tree Design have some, separated in "early" and "late" range, but I can't comment on their historical accuracy...

http://www.blacktreedesign.com/northamerica/home.php?cat=2488
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline max

• Scientist
  • Medieval Mad
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 07:29:39 PM »
Ah yes, corvus belli, i'd forgotten about those. They are the sort of look i like, i've currently reading about the wars so i should have more of an idea what i want to portray later. I have also found lots of 6mm links on a blog which intrest me, as i don't want to spend loads of money, seeing as i've already got a pile of perries plastics!
If i'm not mistaken, at the time of crecy was it more the 'great helm' that was worn?

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 10:33:31 PM »
Yes in this period the armour did change almost as fast as computers/Iphones/Ipads now, and you were outdated before you knew it :)

However some periods were more active than others so it's a matter of personal choice; in my opinion:

— the first part 1340s, 1350s (Crecy, Poitiers ...and the war of Breton Succession which is one of my choices). If you want to do 14th century that's the more interesting. The late 14th century was not so active (unless you have some special interest in some area or historical event)

— the 1410s, 1420s Agincourt to Joan of Arc

— the end of the HYW in the mid-15th, c.1450.

Offline vonplutz

• Librarian
    • Žorsteinn į Heišini
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 10:39:54 PM »
Yes in this period the armour did change almost as fast as computers/Iphones/Ipads now, and you were outdated before you knew it :)

However some periods were more active than others so it's a matter of personal choice; in my opinion:

— the first part 1340s, 1350s (Crecy, Poitiers ...and the war of Breton Succession which is one of my choices). If you want to do 14th century that's the more interesting. The late 14th century was not so active (unless you have some special interest in some area or historical event)

— the 1410s, 1420s Agincourt to Joan of Arc

— the end of the HYW in the mid-15th, c.1450.

I replied to max about this in a PM but you're right the later 14th century slowed down. That said plenty of border skirmishes in English held France, you also have local French nobility rising against the English garrisons. These are both only really skirmish level but if you want England vs. France in full blown war during the late 14th century the Castillian Civil War is the way to go. Both countries fielded armies there to support their candidate to the throne.