Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:11:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686637
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Comments on 1st game rosters  (Read 1466 times)

Offline Black Cavalier

• Scientist
  • Pro Rege et Regnum
Comments on 1st game rosters
« on: October 31, 2012, 05:48:38 AM »
Hi, I'm getting ready to run my 1st game & would like your comments on the rosters I've come up with.  My gaming group tends to be on the larger side (4+ players), so I'm creating 2 15 pt gangs for each side.

The scenario will be something like a G-Man raid on a suspected moonshine operation somehow combined with the Threshhold checking a report of degenerate back-woods rituals.

G-Man Gang (Threshhold)
1 G-man (character) w/ free knife & .45
1 G-man Sgt (agent) w/ free knife & .45
2 G-man grunts (civilian) w / rifle & free knife
1 G-man grunt (civilian) w / tommy gun & free knife

Threshhold gang
1 Character w/ Lucky Hat, Tight boots, free knife & .45   
1 Professor (agent)  w/ free knife & .45
1 Professor's Daughter/Assistant (agent)  w/ shotgun & free knife & .45
1 Policeman, local law (civilian) w/ shotgun & free knife
1 Farmer, person who made report of rituals (civilian) w/ shotgun & free knife
1  Reporter (civilian) w/ free .22

Moonshine Gangsters (Lurker)
1 Gangster leader (Cult leader) w/ free .22 & knife
1 Gangster (Cultists) w/ rifle & free knife
4 Gangsters (Cultists) w/ .45 & free knife

Cultist Gang
1 Cult leader w/ free .22 & knife
1 Cultist w/ smg & free knife
2 Cultist w/ rifle & free knife
2 Cultists w/ knife(f)

I assumed since cultists are just humans, their profiles could be used as non-cult humans too (G-men & Gangsters).

I know there's a higher proportion of civilians than would probably be in a normal game, but it's to allow the splitting of a gang in half to support more players if necessary.

My main concern is the balancing of ranged weapons.  I don't want too many rifles on 1 side to allow them to sit out at range & pick off the opponents.

& a lot of the weapon choices were made solely based on my figure collection.

I know larger sized gangs mean they'll have more problems moving people since only the characters & cult leaders can do group moves via Command.

Since my 1st game & I'm setting up the scenario, I'll probably just run it as the Fight scenario type.

So, thought?  Suggestions? 

Thanks in advance
Remember, remember, the Dalek December
With Paris in ruins and London in ember
In times of the future when fears are abating
Don’t try to forget them, the Daleks are waiting
Quietly planning and scheming and hating…

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
Re: Comments on 1st game rosters
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 08:50:09 AM »
I don't think you'll have balance issues with firearms, as you've given the best weapons to models with 5+ Dexterity.  Barring someone with inordinately good dice luck (and isn't there always one?), there's going to be a heck of a lot of missed shots.

Offline smokezombie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 09:45:17 AM »
It seems conter intuitive to me. Give the agent and character the rifle and the tommygun ( in the G men list). The character needs good weapons as if he dies the whole list is caput. I don't think you'll find it overbalanced. Most weapons have a range of 10 anyway and this is usually a little close for comfort. The table is small, they'll be getting up close and personal by the end of the game. As with most games terrain more than anything can stop the hold back and shoot tactic.
Your going to have a lot of fun :D
Don't fret too much over your starting threshold lists. On my second game everyone but my character died and after a mega er equip the team had totally changed.
Don't forget to take some pics please
"The sword sung on the barren heath,
The sickle in the fruitful field;
The sword he sung a song of death,
But could not make the sickle yield."
William Blake

Offline Black Cavalier

• Scientist
  • Pro Rege et Regnum
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 03:14:57 PM »
Oh yeah, that was another question I meant to ask.

What size board should a double gang game be played on?  I know a normal game is 3'x3', but doubling that to 6'x3' seems a bit large.  Maybe a 4'x4' to keep it cramped & force the gangs to interact with both of their opponents?

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu. Cthulhu never changes.
    • Superfly Circus - Board Games And Social Commentary
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 04:43:25 PM »
A normal game is actually 2' x 3', so for a 4 player, make it 4' x 3' which would be awesome. 

Never give a crap weapon to the Character and good weapons to his cohorts. Remember that the character has more actions, and potentially has higher DEX and RES ratings, making him more effective.

Other than that, swarms of civvies with knives are fun because you can overwhelm shooters and start with blade-driven butchery sessions!
www.superflycircus.blogspot.com
Board Game Reviews And Social Commentary At Its Finest

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 05:02:33 PM »
Even 3' x 3' would work, though 4' x 3' also gives you the option of running two standard games concurrently rather than one mega-game.

Also, you'd be amazed at how often a game turns on an Alert shot from a Civilian with a .22!

Offline Bergh

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 05:27:29 PM »
Give the characters the best weapons, dual wielding .45 pistols with the skill so he can shoot both without modifers.
Tommy guns are also nice, so are Elephant guns. Give your character all the CON modifiers you can and bullet proof vest for extra immortality, give a dumb about civilians.

but......

That would really make for a BORING GAME!, please don't listen to much to the "power gamer", strange Aeons is very easy the break and ruin the game. I't don't take much time or effort to kill of most small skirmish games, when you take on the Power Gamer googles

Actually I think that giving the best weapons to 5+ DEX guys would make for a more fun and interesting game!
Everyone can figure out to make a Super hero character, not everyone can figure out to have a fun game.
-Brian Bjerregaard Bergh