Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:29:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: One Toke Over The Line?  (Read 5447 times)

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
One Toke Over The Line?
« on: March 17, 2008, 01:22:25 AM »
So, the dilemma is this: I have recieved and painted up 10 cultists from the Pulp Figures range (Beautiful stuff!) in white robes. I was going to add a decal or somthing to the front of the models just so people couldn't be all like, "You are some kind of weirdo! Those little guys look like the k.k.k....I'm outraged!!!" or whatever...but I got to thinking, I'm using them for degenerate cultists in a game set in the 1920s...what's the problem? People play with little lead nazis all the time. So, in the end I decided to use them as k.k.k. baddies...am I a weirdo? or what? Just wondering what other game nerds think... :?:

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
One Toke Over The Line?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 01:32:58 AM »
KKK are valid (and depending on how you wish to regard them, and the period of your game, slightly comical) baddies. I don't really see the problem. Especially if you make them look like idiots, à la "O, Brother Where Art Thou?"

For a more serious application, move your game setting to the Sixties and set Willem Dafoe and Gene Hackman on them.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline pnweerar

• Scientist
One Toke Over The Line?
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 02:20:05 AM »
Bad guys can be as evil as you like.

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
One Toke Over The Line?
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 03:26:55 AM »
It's all relative!  Been down the whole BS PC crap in my gaming as well and just tell them to grow up or take a walk.

Good guys are only as good as the baddies they are up against.

Brian
Keep it WEIRD!

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
One Toke Over The Line?
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 10:24:51 AM »
The KKK are degenerate cultists, good choice of baddies.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
One Toke Over The Line?
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 10:34:30 AM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
KKK are valid (and depending on how you wish to regard them, and the period of your game, slightly comical) baddies. I don't really see the problem. Especially if you make them look like idiots, à la "O, Brother Where Art Thou?"

For a more serious application, move your game setting to the Sixties and set Willem Dafoe and Gene Hackman on them.

Good flicks, both.

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
One Toke Over The Line?
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 02:13:10 PM »
KKK are just about as good as your garden variety Satan Worshippers or Cthulhu Cultists.

I do from an astestic viewpoint prefer Purple and Black Robes to White Ones though.  Seems much more melodramatic.

Mine are based and primed, awaiting my final color choice.  I think I'm leaning a bit toward dark purple.  I think I will borrow the Elder Sign motif though.

If I might post one of Grimm's pics.

"Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small  boy....I keep it in a jar on my desk."
                ----- Robert Bloch------

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
One Toke Over The Line?
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 11:16:47 PM »
The trouble with white is that it's such a bother getting the bloodstains off the sleeves....
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
One Toke Over The Line?
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 01:09:46 PM »
I should also point out that these k.k.k. fellows are my third cult. One cult in green robes with yellow (like Hydra...from the comix!), one cult of neked tupis and now the k.k.k., Wonder what to do for an encor...

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
One Toke Over The Line?
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 02:30:20 PM »
Hate to sound negative, but the same folks that think you are a weirdo because you painted up some Klan members are probably freaked out that you are indeed playing with little metal soldiers.... :lol:

I'd have to say adding a decal or design on the front would be prudent, just to avoid controversy....but then again, a little controversy can be nice!!

A thought just occured to me...maybe you should paint the last names on the back of the cloak, like an athletic jersey.  I mean, really, it would be a pain remember who is who in those darn cults!

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
One Toke Over The Line?
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 02:59:02 PM »
Since they would all be related anyways I will skip painting 'Smith' ten times...besides, these hillbillie bumhumpers can't even write! Possibly 10 large x's... :lol:

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
One Toke Over The Line?
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 03:45:49 PM »
Quote from: "Uncle Mike"
Since they would all be related anyways I will skip painting 'Smith' ten times...besides, these hillbillie bumhumpers can't even write! Possibly 10 large x's... :lol:

Don't you mean pighumpers, "squeal like a pig, boy". :lol:

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
One Toke Over The Line?
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 04:48:32 PM »
Uncle
HYDRA was mostly green but you knew that!

HAIL HYDRA!  CUT ONE LIMB OFF AND TWO TAKES IT'S PLACE!

Comic geek,
Brian

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
One Toke Over The Line?
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 07:22:43 PM »
Yes...Hail Hydra! 8)

Offline UncleRhino

• Scientist
One Toke Over The Line?
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 12:15:35 AM »
I lived in Mississippi for a great deal of my childhood, and would love nothing better to know that those morons from the Klan are getting embarassed, exploited, and well...shot on the gaming table.  

I went, although completely by accident, to a private school down there that in retrospect, seemed like a training ground for a new generation of hatemongering inbreeders.  Being from the " North " as they called it, they referred to me either by the name "Nerd"--because I liked to read and got my homework done or "Yankee" because for some reason, Kansas is a lot like New York or Massachusetts.

I think I still have some scars from one of the times I smuggled my DMG into my backpack and read it at study hall  ..."look, the Nerd is reading his devil-crap again..."  

OH, how I long for the days of my formative years!  If I had half a clue back in the day, I would have knocked up all their women with my filthy YankeeNerd seed...and caused a shock to the evolutionary system down there.  

Ok, I will simmer down a bit, I know at a local gamestore back in the Necromunda days, there was a Redemptionist player who had his gang painted in white robes, and the game store would not let him play with them onsite.  I can see that from a business standpoint.  

I know Victory Force Games does some really nice miniatures poking fun at the folks who go to conventions for scifi or gaming purposes, you should check out their line of Conventioneers.  Am I going to string up Jim Bland for poking fun at my demographic?  Nah, I will just chuckle at it and figure out a way to put them into a game.  Is it kind of amusing to do a game where you hunt down and blast the guys in the white robes, yeah, it is, but it could still be so if they were football players, or cheerleaders or politicians.

I see no harm in it, do what you want to do and have fun at it.  But you really should give us some kind of battle report with the bungling Klansmen, especially if you put in those terrific captions.

YankeeNerd
UncleRhino