Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:15:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: VUK solo play  (Read 2747 times)

Offline Kamiya

• Assistant
VUK solo play
« on: November 05, 2012, 11:32:33 PM »
Hello

I have been out of the hobby for a year or so, moving, having a child etc. But got a strong urge to get back on with this game, but all my rulebooks and SA stuff has been lost in the moving process! (Moved 2 times) I Ordered a new SA rulebook from Uncle Mike last week that I can't wait to get my hands on.

I am looking to play more VUK this time though, it seems like a great game and I have been reading the rules, there is something I want to ask though.
You play against other cults and the authorities, but I wonder if it is possible to play against lurker lists as well without having to make a new cult. The reason I ask is because I want try solo play against a self controlled opponent (card activation, Sheerluck Holmes solo rules)

If I want to play with my cult but have to manage my own cult plus managing the cult I am fighting everytime seems like a lot of work, it just seems a lot more simple if I can just make a lurker list equal to my cult's TCR like I do if I fight an authority list or like you do when you play SA and build ordinary lurker lists.

Hmm, hope the question is understandable, just woke up.
Thanks!

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
Re: VUK solo play
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 06:19:57 AM »
While I suppose it would be possible I think you would have to be careful about the lurker models you choose. You don't want to totally outmatch them by putting models they can't hope to defeat out. The rules that allow balance between cult lists of different sizes help mitigate against that sort of thing.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Kamiya

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 11:57:43 AM »
Thanks for the reply!

Looking forward to get some games on, now all I need is the SA rulebook..

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 03:17:48 PM »
I don't see why it would be a problem. Mind you I have read the VUK rules but have never played a game.
You should experiment with a few games and let us know how it works out.  :D

A few months back there was a post about a card based version of the game someone developed for solo play.
It looked pretty cool.  :D

Offline Kamiya

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 05:07:03 AM »
I saw that the morbid adventures expansion kit contained rules for solo and multiplayer modes so I rushed off to buy it, got it delivered today and just read it through. It is a great expansion pack considering the scenarios and the combined lurker tables but...

As for the solo rules basically all it says is that "play as always but use the random deployment rules" and the solo rules passage itself is about, maybe even shorter than this post.
This got me a little bit disappointed as I was thinking that these "official solo rules" could be used for VUK as well but all there was a few sentences not really explaining much..

In this case I prefer the card activation system that Sheerluck Holmes developed, at least there is randomization and "in this situation Lurker model X does this" etc. just thought that it was sad that everything the solo game mode got from the official side was this..

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 05:16:38 AM by Kamiya »