Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:55:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690758
  • Total Topics: 118348
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Scratchbuilt Battlemech(s)  (Read 7994 times)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Scratchbuilt Battlemech(s)
« on: March 18, 2008, 10:23:00 PM »
Well then, somehow, even though it´s holiday, I´m currently terribly quiet on the hobby front - apart from a Vatican Hit Squad, some Gundam kits and a bunch of commissions, I haven´t really done anything of note, and each of those took me ages to do (the commissions still linger, but anyway...).

All the better that I had the inspiration to do some scratchbuilding on Sunday. A buddy of mine came over for a "modelling coffee party", him working on some Heavy Gears (teeny-tiny bitsies! Still can´t get over that switch from 1/87 to 1/144...). I set down to build a Battlemech for a "Battlemech 1:144 scale" project we´ve been working on and off.

Sadly, it worked out a bit too chunky to fit with my existing mechs in the larger scale, so I decided to paint it in another scheme and build some more mechs in that manner to make a second lance.

Anyway, here´s some pictures. Please excuse the poor quality of the "in-modelling" shot and the finished article. I´ll take some better ones tomorrow, once the batteries have recharged.

The raw model, made from plasticard over a balsa core for the hull and SRM launchers - the latter are (re)movable, and I plan to do some machine-guns as alternative armament, once I can decide on a design...  :lol:

Now an intermediate picture during the painting process. I had thought about leaving it that way, in a kind of "tattery Africa Korps" scheme, but settled for something else...

... to be precise, some tiger/zebra striping. Actually, it does a pretty decent job of breaking up the outlines of the model, since I had to look hard over the dense terrain of my modelling table mess to find the model as I returned to do the basing... :lol:

That´s it for today. Next model will either be an Assassin, a Clint or a Jenner. Currently leaning towards the Assassin, but may still change the focus.

Oh, and for scale, the circular base is a round 2 inch (50mm) steel washer. SO it´s somewhere between 1:120 and 1:144. At least I hope so. Either way, I think the model itself turned out rather nicely.

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 10:27:23 PM »
That looks really good. 8)
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 10:27:31 PM »
JENNER! A JENNER! YOU MUST DO A JENNER! (then get Zafarelli to bootleg it in resin and give me a copy)

One of my most favorite mechs ever. Thank you very much!

(what edit?)

Offline Rufus

• Assistant
    • PulpDogg.com
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 08:48:57 AM »
Nice work!

I'd opt for a Marauder, although that ain't a scout mech and you seem to be wanting to build a scout lance :D.

But that Locust looks awfully nice ...

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 09:00:22 AM »
Quote from: "Rufus"
Nice work!

I'd opt for a Marauder, although that ain't a scout mech and you seem to be wanting to build a scout lance :D.

But that Locust looks awfully nice ...

Already got one for the Marik Atrean Hussars lance... :lol: Not scratchbuilt, that one, though.

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 12:15:16 PM »
For the machineguns, you need to do the original three-barrel "Crusher Joe" style. As far as I'm concerned that's the only True Locust in existence. Then make removable mounts using rare earth magnets.

Also, have you considered doing a Vulcan? You should do a Vulcan. Vulcans are cool.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 12:38:53 PM »
Quote from: "PeteMurray"
For the machineguns, you need to do the original three-barrel "Crusher Joe" style. As far as I'm concerned that's the only True Locust in existence. Then make removable mounts using rare earth magnets.

No need for the magnets - the mounts are plastic tubing which simply slots inside. Funny thing, I´ve always interpreted the three-tube boxes as SRM launchers... :lol: The Ostall rocks, though.

Also, have you considered doing a Vulcan? You should do a Vulcan. Vulcans are cool.

Actually, that one was high up on the list, but got put back due to it not having hands... for that Recon thing, I somehow prefer either non-humanoid mechs or humanoids with hands.

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 12:56:39 PM »
I always figured as long as somebody in the lance had hands, it didn't matter if there were one or two mechs that didn't. So you should feel free to build the Vulcan anyway. :mrgreen:

In my never-published Thinking Man's Recasting of the Battletech Universe, I came up with a difference between a Pursuit Lance and a Recon Lance. While both were made up of light and fast mechs, a Recon Lance did deep recon ahead of the main body, but the Pursuit Lance did counter-recon work and route protection for slower assets, like Assault and LRM-based mechs.  The Vulcan and Jenner were two of the mechs in the original Pursuit Lance box, and to my mind they work well. While fast, they're also much punchier mechs than a Locust, Spider, or Ostscout. Actually a Jenner can be formidable little bugger, and the range of the AC/2 makes the Vulcan a bit of a sniper.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 12:58:53 PM »
Dear Mr. Singing Club !

What a beautiful Locust you made.

And the painting is great too.
What happened to his foot ? Tapped into a nail ?
 :)

Cheers
Björn
, ,

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 06:05:57 PM »
Quote from: "Driscoles"
Dear Mr. Singing Club !

Groooooooan... :lol:

What happened to his foot ? Tapped into a nail ?

As long as it is not a satchel charge tucked into the ankle joint... :lol:

Built a second one today. I set out for an Assassin, but it didn´t work out right - the torso is rather off. Like it nonetheless.

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 07:40:48 PM »
How do you do it so quickly and so well?

I love it, very much.

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 08:35:41 PM »
these are very nice!  what scale are they?

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 08:58:16 PM »
Quote from: "Ironworker"
these are very nice!  what scale are they?

Somewhere between 1:100 and 1:144 - since exact measurements are pretty much nonexistent in the BT universe, it´s hard to come by. The Locust is about 3 inches tall, the Assassin is a bit taller, between 3.5 and 4 inches (around 9cm).

We´ve got a little project running, using the more salvageable MWDA figures, remodelled and repainted, plus various other sources, to do a "Bigger Battletech" thing. Not 28mm (I had built a bunch of mechs for that but only got in one game in 4 years), but 10 or 12 - you can easily adopt the normal rules, substituting 2" of table space per hex. Doesn´t look too much out of place.

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 03:38:44 PM »
Chris you are far too self critical.

Those are good I am not worthy to write on this forum

I go.....

Ok well I'm not going I like it here............ a lot.

Your models are excellent.

Dodge

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 05:54:52 PM »
Since DM is up and running again, here´s the plastic kit figures I did last autumn: