Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:26:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Once Upon A Time in Cathay (UPDATE: Terracotta warriors and the Venom Mob)  (Read 5483 times)

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
First pic from a new project (excuse the quality – camera phone isn't that great) – Chinese fantasy:

The figures are an eclectic mix: (from left)
  • Yeren (Chinese Wildman; D&D Dire Ape pre-paint)
  • 2 Monks (Reaper)
  • Demon monk (Reaper again)
  • Abbot (Stone Circle / Chinatown)
  • 3 Initiates (converted Foundry Chinese pirates)

The terrain piece is an aquarium model – it's too small to be the temple it claims, but a 28mm figure fits perfectly through the gateway, so it's now a little mountain shrine!

Next up... Wu the Artificer and the terracotta warriors (or more terrain – depends what gets finished first!)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 09:14:23 AM by Smith »
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
Re: Once Upon A Time in Cathay
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 11:00:44 AM »
Very nice -  and quite inspiring, although it's a pity I just put the last of my chinese in the post to their buyer!  lol
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 11:16:06 AM »
Looking interesting so far.

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 03:30:28 PM »
Thanks for the comments, guys!

Due to the terrain arriving extremely swiftly, Wu and his terracotta hordes are still pending... In the meantime, the latest two terrain features:

This is the last of the 'temple' features – the next terrain will either be regular buildings (probably Curteys) or (more likely) the modular tomb idea I shamelessly stole from Chuck1372 (http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=45037.0).

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 03:42:56 PM »
Very nice -  and quite inspiring, although it's a pity I just put the last of my chinese in the post to their buyer!  lol

Thanks!
 :D

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
Re: Once Upon A Time in Cathay (UPDATE: more terrain)
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 03:54:42 PM »
Excellent. A paint job as good as that transforms a fish's plaything into a little vignette full of age and character

The best part is that I've contributed absolutely no work whatsoever to any of those buildings – I was planning on having to do a little repainting, but they look great straight out of the box: http://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/prodimg/NC0166_1_Zoom.jpg

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 03:59:17 PM »
Lovely stuff. Been tempted to a couple of Chinese myth warbands for SBH myself. Maybe in 2014....
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 04:13:30 PM »
Interesting project, real nice miniatures and i see you use some aquarium stuff. I have collected a nice amout myself that i use for re-creating a suitable enviroment for my Vietnam project. I buy it very cheap from a second hand website and for me it works very well. An added advantage is that i do not have to spent time on making scenery (or not as much) so i can dedicate my time to painting miniatures. And yes, you have guessed it right, i am slow and not very good. But very enthousiastic ;-)

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 05:03:24 PM »
Nice use of fish tank accessories! Amazing how well its seems to suite 28mm. 

I'm still not making a Chinese warband though...

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 05:11:57 PM »
The best part is that I've contributed absolutely no work whatsoever to any of those buildings – I was planning on having to do a little repainting, but they look great straight out of the box: http://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/prodimg/NC0166_1_Zoom.jpg

Great stuff, it works really well!
 :-*

Thanks for the link, too.
Some excellent stuff there for UK folks with the free postage thing.
Nice.
 :)

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 09:43:11 PM »
Next up, the nearly finished modular tomb boards. There's two more to go (technically one and a half – I ran out of hot glue), removable doors to block certain routes, and I'll wash the walls with PVA for durability, but that's about it.

It's rather plain on purpose, but it'll look more appropriate when it's stuffed full of terracotta warriors.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
Re: Once Upon A Time in Cathay (UPDATE: WIP tomb boards)
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 11:25:42 PM »
You could do all sorts of interesting things with a modular tomb board like that, depending on how you dress it out with figures and details - Egypt, China, wherever - big, cyclopean tomb architecture is pretty universal!

My brother did a couple of 9x9 boards similar to that a few years ago, he was planning at least another three or so to round out the collection, but far as I know hasn't built them. Might have to prod him on those...

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 07:05:31 PM »
Nice little band there. The demon monk looks quite cool. Looking forawrd to seeing more pics :)

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 09:13:53 AM »
So, having taken some time away from Cathay, I got back to it recently, and painted up the quickest 16 models I've ever done. As always, apologies for the crappy photos – I'll get around to sorting out a decent digital camera eventually...

While Artificer Wu is still en route (ish), his terracotta hordes are done. I may add another 16 to this batch in due course – probably with dagger axes, to give a bit more variety.

I also found time to put together the first couple of members of 'The Venom Mob', Master Toad and Master Snake (Scorpion, Centipede and Lizard will follow, for fans of the Shaw Brothers...):

Some VSF now, I think – maybe interspersed with some Sword Saints to keep the Cathay project rolling.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Re: Once Upon A Time in Cathay (UPDATE: Terracotta warriors and the Venom Mob)
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 09:23:48 AM »
Lovely stuff, with added bonus for speed and efficiency!  8)

Hey smithy, I have some john jenkins terracotta warriors that are stunning. I aint ever going to paint em so if you want a good deal on em PM me. They are great figs which is why I am giving you an option on em, its a crime not to have em being used.

If he doesn't want them, I'll take them off your hands... ;)