Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:27:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Lunar Terrain Sticky Bush  (Read 1923 times)

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
Lunar Terrain Sticky Bush
« on: November 12, 2012, 06:37:47 AM »
Getting ready to kick off a VSF Lunar Campaign, so, a need for a game matt and terrain pieces to go on it. Of course there is the wee problem that there is no air on the moon, soooo no "vegetation". Instead Im working on Craters, Dust pools, crevasses, rock out croppings, floating boulders that have not quiet enough caverite ore to float away.  Possible some crystalline "plants" or some sort of ropey piles.

To start, being a house painter, we have a lot of old canvas drop cloths.....and I need some fast matts..............

The canvas has years of paint splatter over it, that has dried, cracked, been folded and forced into shapes and corners. Getting a 4x6 piece to lay flat............wasn't happening. So out comes the stapler and I pulled and stapled it down to a 4x6 piece of plywood to start.
Next was 2 coats of off white house paint, liberally slathered and allowed to dry between coatings, applied with a 4 inch brush. When fully dried over night I proceeded to use my favorite terrain material, brushable caulking from a tub. I skipped a brush as the canvas has a lot of character on its surface already so I used a spatula to rough smear, pat and skip smear areas and then sprinkle on sand. The areas were re-smeared and patted to work the sand in and left to dry.  Next came a 50/50 wash of water/paint, same off white color over the entire board and allowed to puddle and flow where it would, (but not to the floor!) Lastly.........black paint in water, not very much paint, in a short glass. Dipping my fingers into the darkened water I would allow it to drip and flow off my fingers as I worked around the board.

The poor lighting is giving it more of a tan look than the grey day light gives it. Total time spent to prep, apply and paint it was around 2 hours total.

Couple more shots of the matt here :    http://armoredink.blogspot.com/2012/11/lunar-matt-progress.html
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 04:58:41 PM by Alfrik »
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!

Offline Peter@BattleScape

• Scientist
Re: Lunar Terrain
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 11:43:28 AM »
Brilliant work...we have used the canvas cloth technique before. Though I must say your cloth was of much better quality than ours, and its previous life has given it some excellent character before you begin.
We were tossing up if we should use this method again on our next VSF project. Yep the vote is in the girls have looked at your pictures and started raiding the linen closet for tablecloths.....Bevs' going to have a certain piece of my anatomy in a jar when she finds out!!!

Pete
BattleScape Military Books & Miniatures
www.BattleScape.com.au

Offline Blodwin

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 09:45:58 PM »
The pictures on your blog look fantastic - great idea.  :-*

Offline smokezombie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 10:27:21 PM »
Agreed. The bit pic of the whole board on your blog looks fantastic, some real character for a flat table. I'm looking forward to seeing more.
"The sword sung on the barren heath,
The sickle in the fruitful field;
The sword he sung a song of death,
But could not make the sickle yield."
William Blake

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 07:16:45 PM »
Roughed out most of the terrain type pieces here:

http://armoredink.blogspot.com/2012/11/lunar-landscape-advances.html

Ill put a couple of pics up here when they are painted up.

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 04:22:33 PM »
And here's a painted sample. Crush time is on to get ready to launch the VSF campaign the week after Thanksgiving.......

so keeping the paint and stain job fast. Hmmm might be tempted to re base Kaptain Kneemo's Expeditionary forces.....

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
    • Armored Ink
Re: Lunar Terrain Lunar Sticky Bush
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 04:58:20 PM »
Here's a shot of what is fondly refered to as "that damn crap".... Lunar Sticky bush:

Should be kicking off the campaign in the next day or so

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
Re: Lunar Terrain Sticky Bush
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 03:34:04 AM »
Wow! Cool stuff!  :-*

Please tell me there will be Selenites.  :D