Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:41:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690837
  • Total Topics: 118355
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Brettonia, medieaval archer ?  (Read 3481 times)

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
Brettonia, medieaval archer ?
« on: November 20, 2012, 07:27:34 AM »
This spring I convinced a gaming buddy to sell some old Brettonia archers that he didn“t use any more.
I had an idea of using them to start up a medieval force.

More picures on my blog http://kampgruppe-engel.blogspot.se/2012/11/brettonia-medieval-archers.html

I finally gave them some paint and new bases.
Im surprised how well the old models turned out with so little effort.
Could be the work on some excellent sculptors…

But the big question, what conflicts could they be used in?

Offline Dalauppror

• Mastermind
  • www.dalauppror.blogspot.com
    • Dalauppror Wargamingblog
Re: Brettonia, medieaval archer ?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 07:31:14 AM »
Looking realy good !!!

Nice to see that you get in to the medieval era to, but shoulden you go for a Swedish or Danish force;)

Best regards Michael

Offline vonplutz

• Librarian
    • Žorsteinn į Heišini
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 04:56:59 PM »
These fit right into the Hundred Years War, especially during the late 14th century but no earlier than 1350s. Could go as late as the 1420s, maybe 1430s.

Offline max

• Scientist
  • Medieval Mad
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 05:06:19 PM »
Early Hundreds Years War i'd say.

These fit right into the Hundred Years War, especially during the late 14th century but no earlier than 1350s. Could go as late as the 1420s, maybe 1430s.

Listen to him, he knows it all!!!

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 06:06:52 PM »
Very nice indeed...I like the guy with the conical helmet but no brim...a simple but effective "conversion" 

I've recently fallen in love the the Bretonnian models from this era...the Perry Brothers really out did themselves.  If I may suggest looking for some of the metal figures that mix with these plastic I don't think you will be disappointed...they are superb.

Here are a few I painted up for the last LPL.

the men at arms and knights from this range are great too.

Please post more as you complete them.

Also thanks to the others on the date range that these would be effective for.  But that leads to another question...what range would be good historical opponents for these...and will they scale up well?  I know citadel miniatures have a rep for being "heroic" in scale...are these outsized when compared with other 100 years war figures from other ranges?

Cheers,

Blue
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012

Offline vonplutz

• Librarian
    • Žorsteinn į Heišini
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 06:50:12 PM »
Very nice indeed...I like the guy with the conical helmet but no brim...a simple but effective "conversion" 

I've recently fallen in love the the Bretonnian models from this era...the Perry Brothers really out did themselves.  If I may suggest looking for some of the metal figures that mix with these plastic I don't think you will be disappointed...they are superb.

Here are a few I painted up for the last LPL.

the men at arms and knights from this range are great too.

Please post more as you complete them.

Also thanks to the others on the date range that these would be effective for.  But that leads to another question...what range would be good historical opponents for these...and will they scale up well?  I know citadel miniatures have a rep for being "heroic" in scale...are these outsized when compared with other 100 years war figures from other ranges?

Cheers,

Blue

Those look great! Where about in VT are you? My good friend is from there and played Brets.

As for matching up I can't speak for certain but Front Rank (http://www.frontrank.com/) have a great looking HYW range. The men at arms on the first page of HYW infantry are too early for your and Engel's archers but the second page is perfect. The Perry HYW range is good for the early 15th century but they don't scale well with GW figures.

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 08:03:53 PM »
Ooh, these are very nicely done! Great work and looking forward to the next batch.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 06:53:06 AM »
Thanks guys, more archers are on the painting table.

Blue, I got mostly plastic archers from my Brettonia friend but he promised to search in his drawers to see if he could find some other older models. As an Brettonia player I think he should have some more fun stuff laying around.
Ive seen your archers previusly, nice work.

Anyone know how they compare in size with other manufacturers medieaval minitures ? I can take comparison pictures later but only against Gripping Beast Vikings in lead and plastic, Napoleonics seems wrong and all other stuff seems even more remote.

As these old GW archers are somewhat bulky I think they could match the Fireforge plastic miniatures just fine. So those plastic infantry boxes could come in handy later on.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 07:03:20 AM by Engel »

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 08:41:41 AM »
The Perry twins cut their teeth on historicals and the reason their figures look so good is they have forgotten more about historical dress details than most of us would accumulate in a lifetime. Yes the GW Bretonnians are chunkier than most but I've mixed mine successfully with their metals as well as Foundry Feudals and HYW, Gripping Beast Crusades and Black Tree Design HYW. I'd give Claymore Castings a go too for some of their excellent 1388 Scots and English.
Don't be afraid of headswaps either. If you can lay your hands on some of the later GW Bretonians, the rank and file have some delightfully characterful head variants - shouting etc., though the obsessive use of added heater shield and fleurs-de-lys motifs is annoying.

I have all the above as proxy figures for an alternative Gondorian army, and am now supplementing some WOTR figures with all of the above to model different bannerman factions in a Westeros themed army. Since most of the rank and file fought 'come-as-you-are' you could bulk out pretty much any C13 to C14 army with these as long as you have characters, liveried troops and standard bearers in the desired army motifs...
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline katie

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 11:01:20 AM »
I've been using these figures along with Front Rank for skirmish units and I think they fit in nicely.

(My only regret is that I don't think I can start to mix in the Perry plastics easily {although I'll tell better when I've got some assembled and painted}, but I bought most of the figures ages ago before they started making them...)

I think I got the original batch of brettonian archers in a bag of 50 or so from someone at a show selling off misc unpackaged GW figures and then I've bought another load from Ebay where the price is low enough. Won't pay much over 25p a figure for them so some persistence is needed (I've seen them going for metal prices!!), but over a couple of years I've accumulated enough to put together decent units for mass games later on if I want..

Put a picture of a unit on my blog; http://katiethewargamer.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/so-i-created-this-blog-to-display.html

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 06:46:37 AM »
They are fine for the 'early war' but I wouldn't really go for them in many numbers for the 1420's as they are a little archaic for that era. I've successfully mixed a few of the metal Bretonnian miniatures into some of my archer bases for my Verneuil (1424) English army; I'll take some pics (my blog could do with it actually!) and post them up here later on today.

In the mean time here's a cheeky pic of when I had some of them based for WAB

Darrell.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 06:49:19 AM by Atheling »

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 07:21:48 AM »
Thanks for the responce all.

Nice miniatures Atheling, keep em comming. :)

I have some more painted archers at home, plan to get them photoed this weekend. Im still not sure what to do with all those plastic miniatures and what conflict to use them in. I guees I will keep painting them and worry about that later

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 01:21:21 PM »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 01:23:13 PM »
Goodly work Engil- great to see things coming together  8) 8)

Darrell.

Offline airbornegrove26

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 01:47:56 PM »
Those are awesome!

Great inspiration for me to get started on my archers.  =)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 11:51:42 PM by airbornegrove26 »