Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:46:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690928
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 698
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Musings on Strange Aeons, come join in.  (Read 5150 times)

Offline Bergh

• Scientist
Re: Musings on Strange Aeons, come join in.
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 10:19:56 PM »
Was i meant was that the agents also would drive/travel around in towns and such, and properly don't have a truck.

Great clip btw, A truck with a .30 cal, handled by cultists....yes please that miniature I want for my collection.
-Brian Bjerregaard Bergh

Offline Dezmond

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 11:27:02 PM »
Was i meant was that the agents also would drive/travel around in towns and such, and properly don't have a truck.

I get what you mean. But Eliot Ness and the Untouchables really did have a snowplow fitted to the front of a truck and used it to bash down reinforced doors during raids on illegal breweries, so such things are at least debateably in genre.

(At about 2 minutes in)

Starting a scenario by having a threshold team smash through the doors of the warhouse/mansion/corrupted church/whatever where the cultists have their summoning circle in such a vehicle might be fun.

Offline cuchulain23

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 07:10:06 AM »
Speaking of vehicles. Anyone thought of any good rules for use of a vehicle in the game?

My friends and I have experimented with a "Drive" skill that only humans and humanoids can use. Without the skill you only perform a maneuver on a 6. With the skill use the vehicle's dex. Car Move: 12" / Con: 8 / Dex 3+ / Wound 2.  Truck Move 10" / Con 9: / Dex 4+ / Wound 3. Only need to make a roll if going fast (more than half speed), and turning more than 45 degrees.

We have had fun using these rules as they are fairly simple and let us use big boards as we have a lot of terrain between us. We all also like a good car chase.

Regards,

Cuchulain23

Offline Bergh

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 07:59:13 AM »
I get what you mean. But Eliot Ness and the Untouchables really did have a snowplow fitted to the front of a truck and used it to bash down reinforced doors during raids on illegal breweries, so such things are at least debateably in genre.

I'm thinking that Threshold agent cells are abit more secretly then FBI operations. As I understand it, Threshold agents don't run around shouting "Threshold agents! everyone keep calm, and tell me about all your supernatural sightings".
I don't think that the local police even know about the Threshold project at all. So a group of people driving along with heavy machine guns in open sight and snowplows mounted on there trucks would arise some suspicions.

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 04:10:33 PM »
Con of 8 problem solver :  "shoots really big bullets"..........  Any solution means Modifying the rules a bit, a big complaint by some, readily done by others (such as change the 8 max to 7 max.). I see the solution in 3 ways, more powerful hand gun, or Lurker has something that "magically" makes it more powerful or situational modifier such as Target is facing away from the shooter.......   or maybe just maybe by the time someone is con 8 they are facing things that have the brute force to not need a gun....

Lack of command for a mass of minions is addressed with the MOB rules from one of the expansions.
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!

Offline Dezmond

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2013, 01:56:25 AM »
I'm thinking that Threshold agent cells are abit more secretly then FBI operations.

One must do what one thinks is coolest, naturally. But overt raids by 'The Authorities' on... bad people does happen in Lovecrafts stories. I can think of the raid on Innsmouth, or the business with Inspector Legrasse and the 'voodoo cult' in The Call of Cthulhu.

And if you wanted that sort of overt action, one could maybe look at the famous Reserve unit of the Shanghai Municipal Police, sometimes known as the worlds first SWAT team. Among other things, they went around in specially converted armoured buses known as Red Marias.

Speaking of vehicles. Anyone thought of any good rules for use of a vehicle in the game?

Has anyone considered doing scenario with a kinda moving road thing, whereby the vehicles in the chase stay more or less put in the middle of the board, and obstacles are moved back each turn to show the progress of the chase. And then the characters leap between moving vehicles and brawl on the back of trucks like they are in an Indiana Jones movie?

Also, a train scenario, in which the action takes place on the Orient Express steaming its way across Europe, and the agents must fight their way from the back of the train to the engine to bring it to a halt and foil the nefarious schemes of the lurkers.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 02:35:21 AM »
Some interesting thoughts there, Dezmond.
I am making some removable armoured plates (magnetised) to add to my SA/1920's vehicles for use in my Apocalypse 1929 variant of SA, so yes, I have considered it.
Thanks for the references, most useful!
 :D

As for the 'car chase' idea; Daeothar came up with a version of this recently and it looked great:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=34855.0

Well worth a look if that is what you are thinking of doing.

Also, a train scenario, in which the action takes place on the Orient Express steaming its way across Europe, and the agents must fight their way from the back of the train to the engine to bring it to a halt and foil the nefarious schemes of the lurkers.

As for this idea: Consider it stolen!
I love it!
 :D

Offline cuchulain23

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2013, 10:57:57 PM »
I may have to also use the Orient Express idea as well as moving terrain in my own games. Great ideas Dezmond.

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 09:28:53 AM »
The car chase would be definately something that would be nice to play up with miniatures... I wonder what my missus would say if I started ordering more 1920s and 30s cars...  ::)

First I need to start my long planned project of making a tramp steamer though.

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2013, 05:49:14 PM »
Our latest game was vehicle related. You can see the AAR here: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=48247.msg582696#msg582696

I did some simple rules for the vehicles used:
Each vehicle had its own stats for Base Movement, Accelerated Movement, Constitution, Wounds and Cover for passengers.

Traveling its base speed on the road a vehicle would be fine. Executing maneuvers required a Dex roll by the driver with negative modifiers for each 2 inches of accelerated movement, and road conditions. Driving off road would cause the vehicle to take a hit against its Con like a character in combat. How rough the terrain was and speed were negative modifiers there.

In this game we lost a driver. I had the player roll a D3 to determine how many turns the vehicle would continue as it slowed to a stop. Each turn it moved it had a chance to change direction and possibly collide with a tree or something else as well as checking for damage each turn.

Offline Dezmond

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2013, 07:39:51 PM »
I may have to also use the Orient Express idea as well as moving terrain in my own games. Great ideas Dezmond.

It may be worth noting that Horror on the Orient Express is a legendary campaign for the Call of Cthulhu TTRPG, in which the PCs travel across Europe on the Orient Express searching for pieces of the Sedefkar Simulacrum.

THE SEDEFKAR SIMULACRUM is a statue, one older than human history, built by unknown hands perhaps as the original pattern, or at least as one pattern for humanity, then cast aside. In human memory, it was first unearthed from the ruins of the nameless city which preceded Byzantium. Since then, men have borne it or parts of it to all corners of the globe, but always the simulacrum wends back to where it was first buried: once Byzantium, now Constantinople, soon to be lstanbul.

Course, even on the Express, those darn cultists will bring their MG:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=-_L5f6EhJT8

:-)