Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:52:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690898
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Jesuit Priests  (Read 6720 times)

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Jesuit Priests
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 12:40:31 PM »
Quote from: "KeyanSark"
Quote from: "warrenbruhn"
Gets me to thinking that Osprey should produce a booklet on the uniforms of the Catholic missionary orders... :wink:

Errrr.... Black?  :D

And faded black. :lol:

Very nicely done on these guys. I think using them in Africa, too, is a great idea.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
Jesuit Priests
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2008, 01:39:59 AM »
Quote from: "Gluteus Maximus"

I believe they come in any colour you want - so long as it's black  :lol:

Actually, at least one order used rough brown clothing, at least during the 16th and 17th Centuries.  There was a great war movie that come out in 1974 about a battle over a Cameroon border town in 1915, and the two French missionaries were wearing white.  Different orders had different standards for what kind of uncomfortable clothing the brothers were supposed to wear.  I came accross the topic reading about the Golden Age of Piracy and the way many of the Spanish missionaries and priests in the Carribean were neglecting the uncomfortable clothing specified by their orders and were wearing sinful silk stockings and fancy clothes.  Also, there was some  competitiveness between the various missionary orders, which I think is a fair twist to throw into a miniatures game.

In fact, I found links to a missionary society founded in Algeria in 1866 called the "White Fathers" after the color of their robes.  They had a significant role in Central Africa during the scramble:

http://www.thepelicans.co.uk/history34.htm

And the Oblates of Mary Immaculate, dominant missionary order in western and northern Canada wore buffalo robes, at least until they realized that the buffalo were going extinct:

http://www.umanitoba.ca/colleges/st_pauls/ccha/Back%20Issues/CCHA1989/Huel.htm

From the Wiki article on the Dominican order there is this bit:

In England and other countries the Dominicans are referred to as Blackfriars on account of the black cappa or cloak they wear over their white habits. Dominicans were Blackfriars, as opposed to Whitefriars (i.e., the Carmelites) or Greyfriars (i.e., Franciscans).

And the Benedictines, Augustinians, and Jesuits wore black. Franciscans and Capuchins wore brown.  There was a society called the "Grey Nuns" in northwest Canada.  The Norbertines were known as the "White Canons" for their white habits:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premonstratensian

Wiki and the Catholic Encyclopedia are important sources for this sort of info, but it takes a while to sort through it all.  That's why I jokingly suggested that Osprey organize and present all this info.

This isn't too much information, is it? :mrgreen:
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Jesuit Priests
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2008, 09:43:40 AM »
Quote from: "warrenbruhn"
Quote from: "Gluteus Maximus"

I believe they come in any colour you want - so long as it's black  :lol:

Actually, at least one order used rough brown clothing, at least during the 16th and 17th Centuries.  There was a great war movie that come out in 1974 about a battle over a Cameroon border town in 1915, and the two French missionaries were wearing white.  Different orders had different standards for what kind of uncomfortable clothing the brothers were supposed to wear.  I came accross the topic reading about the Golden Age of Piracy and the way many of the Spanish missionaries and priests in the Carribean were neglecting the uncomfortable clothing specified by their orders and were wearing sinful silk stockings and fancy clothes.  Also, there was some  competitiveness between the various missionary orders, which I think is a fair twist to throw into a miniatures game.

In fact, I found links to a missionary society founded in Algeria in 1866 called the "White Fathers" after the color of their robes.  They had a significant role in Central Africa during the scramble:

http://www.thepelicans.co.uk/history34.htm

And the Oblates of Mary Immaculate, dominant missionary order in western and northern Canada wore buffalo robes, at least until they realized that the buffalo were going extinct:

http://www.umanitoba.ca/colleges/st_pauls/ccha/Back%20Issues/CCHA1989/Huel.htm

From the Wiki article on the Dominican order there is this bit:

In England and other countries the Dominicans are referred to as Blackfriars on account of the black cappa or cloak they wear over their white habits. Dominicans were Blackfriars, as opposed to Whitefriars (i.e., the Carmelites) or Greyfriars (i.e., Franciscans).

And the Benedictines, Augustinians, and Jesuits wore black. Franciscans and Capuchins wore brown.  There was a society called the "Grey Nuns" in northwest Canada.  The Norbertines were known as the "White Canons" for their white habits:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premonstratensian

Wiki and the Catholic Encyclopedia are important sources for this sort of info, but it takes a while to sort through it all.  That's why I jokingly suggested that Osprey organize and present all this info.

This isn't too much information, is it? :mrgreen:

Smart-arse!   :wink:  :lol:

Not too much info at all. You've just successfully reduced my overall ignorance score. Actually, the white clothing sounds quite attractive - especially as my Darkest Africa is set in roughly the areas you mention.

Just goes to show - you never stop learning new stuff!  :)

Offline Lt. Hazel

• Mastermind
    • The Leutnant´s Diary
Jesuit Priests
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2008, 10:10:46 AM »
May be white is a little bit "cooler" than black in the heart of africa.. :lol:

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Jesuit Priests
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2008, 12:15:24 PM »
Quote from: "Lt. Hazel"
May be white is a little bit "cooler" than black in the heart of africa.. :lol:

Are Priests cool?  :lol:

I can never understand why, when white is supposed to be cooler in hot climes, some desert tribes [Berbers?] wear dark blues & black :?

Offline Lt. Hazel

• Mastermind
    • The Leutnant´s Diary
Jesuit Priests
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2008, 08:27:57 PM »
I can never understand why, when white is supposed to be cooler in hot climes, some desert tribes [Berbers?] wear dark blues & black Confused

I think it´s a macho-thing :mrgreen:  
I´m not sure for berbers, but the tuareg wear dark blues+black.

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
Re: Jesuit Priests
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 05:03:37 AM »
I know of at least one order that the lower ranking brothers & priests were to dress in sack cloth. Sack cloth is a burlap of off white or tan color.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2011, 09:35:29 AM »

Are Priests cool?  :lol:

I can never understand why, when white is supposed to be cooler in hot climes, some desert tribes [Berbers?] wear dark blues & black :?
It's something to do with the black creating an updraft or something like that. I had it explained to me when i was in Jordan, and then it made perfect sense, just a pity I can't remember the whole logic of it now though.
Duncan

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2011, 09:59:43 AM »
Could the updraft thing perhaps be relating to the tents, rather than the robes?

The black colour of the clothes supposedly allows the perspiration to evaporate slowly. The fabric is lightweight and loosely woven. Because it's very loose it flows in the breeze even if that breeze is created only by the wearer's own movement such as walking. As the fabric moves, the body is cooled.

Or so I heard. Might not be accurate at all.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 10:01:37 AM by white knight »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2011, 10:05:53 AM »
What caused this resurrection? :)

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2011, 10:19:23 AM »
What caused this resurrection? :)
Good question, didn't look at the original thread start date.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2011, 10:21:25 AM »
Good question, didn't look at the original thread start date.

Well, in this age of recycling it is perhaps a good thing. Lets save a polar bear and only post on vintage threads for a year. :)

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2011, 10:23:15 AM »
Well, in this age of recycling it is perhaps a good thing. Lets save a polar bear and only post on vintage threads for a year. :)
lol

Offline Hubbynz

• Scientist
    • Halfling House
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2011, 04:44:06 AM »
Lovely painting, what is your reciepe for black?

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2011, 07:15:49 AM »
W#ell 'm happy the thread was resurrected. Missed this the first time around and I think they would work nicely for a "The Mission" type scenario even if they are considerably more animated than the Jeremy Irons film version.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo