Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:01:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691078
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 770
Total: 775

Recent

Author Topic: Lost Worlds stereo types  (Read 2099 times)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Lost Worlds stereo types
« on: March 21, 2008, 12:22:18 PM »
I am pulling some character profiles together for a lost worlds /dino hunting game using the Lotow/Loths game and have hit a quandry. I want to represent factions form colonial powers and heres the rub.

Do I take the stereotypes of each nation (which are to be honest a British perspective)
namely the main nations will be

British

US

Germans

French

Belgians

Arabic e.g. Zanzibaris

Italians?

I am thinking along the lines of a trait much like the Pirate crews in LOTHS e.g. ruthless, gentlemen, foolhardy etc

Any ideas, preconceptions. I dont want to upset people with my take on these charaterizations. And I never thought I would be bothered if I did but modern times and all that :D

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Lost Worlds stereo types
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 12:35:10 PM »
This is waht I have so far, not perfect and I have liberally taken the info from LOTHS but tweaked it for a colonial flavour

To obtain the national attributes of your hunting Party you must decide upon their “ambience” here we leave the choice to you, though there are some  suggestions with each National Trait which reflect those of stereotypical  national portraits, they are in no way reflective of personal beliefs rather they reflect the movies, comic books and and the Boys own popular fiction.

The aim is to give the Silver Screen feel for your partry. It is based upon the main character or Leader and can be him as an individual or the percieved character of a nations explorers or Colonial history.

Bloodthirsty: I have typically suggested this trait due to the fiction and how following nations have been portrayed, namely Arabs – these are slavers, local Pirates and traders where life is cheap and Infidels are beyond contempt.  Belgians – Really based upon the Congo though all colonial nationas have treated the indigenous populace with extreme violence at some point.  Finally Natives Well this depends on how you want a tribe to be portrayed, Shaka Zulu was one of the most fear chieftains in Southern africa and there are numerous other tribes who whether fact or fiction were said to be feasome and brutal. This also equates to those South American tribes who practised head hunting etc.

Parties led by a Blood thirsty Leader will cause enemies to suffer -1 to their Courage throughout the battle.

Gentleman: Think along the lines if your lordly hunter type raised on the playing fields of Eton, the humanitarian French aristocrat or The humane and understanding Theologist or anthropologist.  

The Gentlemans party will be known for their courteous behaviour and understanding of others . A gentlemans party  will be drawn to their leaders natural right of command and wish to serve with him, when recruiting Heroes or Henchmen, reduce the base cost by 2 COR. This does not apply to Hired Hands.

Stern: The archeotypical disciplinarian, Germans have to be your first choice which comes to mind though think of the French Foreign legion who brook no disorder in the ranks! Due to this stern discipline, the Party always pass Rout tests, so they may never flee.

Courageous: We always want a hero, no matter who what nationality but it takes great charm, charisma and daring do to lead a courageous band, here we are looking at the Adventurer or intrepid explorer.

Parties lead by a hero who is courageous add +1 to their Courage throughout any scenario.

Lucky: Some  are born lucky, the hidden trap door opens just as they are about to be crushed by the falling boulder, the enemy bearing down on them with a huge scimitar trips before the blow lands. This is your typical Indiana Jones who has that lucky rabbits foot or charm

Parties that are Lucky have two re-rolls that they may use at any time during each game. These may be used to adjust dice rolls just like Fame points. Also, when rolling any dice for Income may be re-rolled, but you must keep the second result on the dice.

Bold: Some Men are simply bold they will always be the ones leading the fight from the front think Teddy Roosvelt.
Parties who are Bold may re-roll any failed Rout tests.

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
Lost Worlds stereo types
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 12:48:45 PM »
Maybe a start on home soil is appropriate?

British: Stiff Upper Lip.
Akin to the Courageous archetype in LOTHS. Not wanting to be a cad in front of the men (or Johnny foreigner).

USA: Peace through Superior Firepower.
A bonus on ranged combat but a penalty on melee.  Reflecting a willingness to expend ammunition over men and a belief in the power of the Winchester etc.

German: Teutonic efficiency
Akin to the Stern archetype.

Belgians: Bloodthirsty
Reflecting the Force Publique in Africa, presuming the game is set in the latter 19th century.

As Karl said, no offence whatsoever is implied in these stereotypes.  Being English myself they are drawn from my own perspective.  You may well have an entirely different opinion.  Please feel free to take the p**s out of me.  :mrgreen:
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Lost Worlds stereo types
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 11:53:18 AM »
When studying history in university I stumbled across a leaflet from 1910 picturing a lot of European countries and their people in archetypes. Of course it was a propaganda leaflet and was written from a German point of view. Unfortunately, it was over 15 years ago that I found it and can't remember all the details.

However, I remember that it said "Der Franzos stirbt im Bett einer anderen Frau" (The French generally die in bed of anotherone's wife). Positively speaking the French are known to be persuasive, elegant etc. On the negative side it would mean they have a rather lose moral standart. The English people were charged to be a people of petty shopkeepers and traders, Polish people steal what they can carry and Germans are of course all heroes.

Now these are of course cliches used for political reasons. And any view is bound to have a different angle to it. What good does it to be a hero but dead?  :wink:
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!