Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:38:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 10mm figures what are the pros and cons?  (Read 7927 times)

Offline The Baggagetrain

• Bookworm
    • the-baggagetrain
10mm figures what are the pros and cons?
« on: November 27, 2012, 11:01:19 AM »
Would like to get people's view on 10mm figure, likes and dislikes hopefully there will be a lot more likes. so just a few words on your thoughts

Regards
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 09:30:26 AM by The Baggagetrain »
Regards
Stephen
The Baggagetrain
http://www.the-baggagetrain.com

Offline The Baggagetrain

• Bookworm
    • the-baggagetrain
Re: 10mm figures
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 03:05:37 PM »
Wow guys, 101 views but not one viewpoint either way

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 03:40:36 PM »
Maybe if your title was more specific, for example; '10mm figures, what are the pros and cons?' you may have got more attention from those that have definite views on the subject.

When I clicked on the topic I was half expecting to see some 10mm figures painted up...

As for my view on the subject, I simply find them too fiddly to paint, but must admit that an army at that scale looks magnificent on the tabletop when it is done well.

Hence I like to see them but would not be able to paint one (to any decent standard, at least) myself.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 03:47:41 PM »
I have a 10mm US Modern Army for Cold War Commander, it was easy to paint and this scale matches a modern battlefield.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 03:58:13 PM »
I love 10mm  for epic battles - have Zulu, Napoleonics, Medieval, ECW, Dark Age, Ancients and Fantasy in this scale

One day I might get round to playing with them again
Eric

Offline capthugeca

• Mad Scientist
  • “Life is too important to take seriously.”
    • Ten Mil Wargames
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 10:12:45 PM »
I really like them and can certainly commend the quality of Pendraken Miniatures as well as their service.

I turned to 10mm because of the deterioration of my eyesight meant that I felt I couldn't do justice 28mm figures.
I no longer worry about painting eyes, etc but I still get a finish that I am happy with.
I don't find them fiddley. I bluetac each figure onto bottle tops to paint.

I have a few HOTT armies made up of 10mm figures. I also use them for skirmish gaming on individual bases.

They are also pretty easy to convert.

Why not go over to the Pendraken Forum and see what others have to say.
I don\'t know whether to be a good example or a horrible warning.

Offline The Baggagetrain

• Bookworm
    • the-baggagetrain
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 09:29:36 AM »
Maybe if your title was more specific, for example; '10mm figures, what are the pros and cons?' you may have got more attention from those that have definite views on the subject.

Accepted, I shall put more thought into my titles in future.

I have seen a few other 10mm companies coming into life with the likes of TB and Van Dyck models and figurines also with Adler  moving into 10mm and of course the likes of Magister Miltum and Pendraken the scale is getting stronger each year. It would be nice to see more come on line too, so that new ranges and a larger choice will become available for the wargamer or collector.

The Pendraken Forum is great but that is like preaching to the converted, it would be nice to get some of you larger scale guys to have a go at 10mm. If any of you larger scale gamers/collectors would like to give it a go drop me a PM.

Would still like to hear others peoples views on 10mm pro's and con's or ranges that people would like to see. Also the terrain side of the scale, is there a large selection out there or is there something missing and you would like to see.

I have now been playing Dux Bellorum in 10mm on an 80mm frontage and the games play very well I will have to get my own Late roman Army fully painted and based so I can take some photo’s but this will not be for a while as work commitments are getting in the way. So anyone who has 10mm Armies read and are willing to post some photos, well let’s have them.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 10:32:06 AM by The Baggagetrain »

Offline smokezombie

• Mad Scientist
Re: 10mm figures what are the pros and cons?
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 10:19:19 AM »
I bought a couple of armies from Kalista three or four years ago with the idea of getting into some 10mm wargaming. I was hoping to use either warhammer rules or warmaster. I kind of lost internist and they are sitting in a box mostly unpacked now.
As I see it the pros are..
Cost. I got mine at Salute and  have two armies with all the needed units and characters for less than it would cost to get a half of one army from GW in 28mm

Smaller scale terrain is quicker to build.

It saves space in storage both for the armys and the gaming table ( I used a wallpaper table found at any hardware store and changed the hinges so it was attached along the long edge so it is really easy to store out of the way)

Quick to paint a single mini.

I like the idea of gaming in 10mm. Hopefully I'll come back to them in the years to come.

Sorry I've no pics to post. Tho I was considering playing Mordheim in 10mm for a while. Lol

Cons...For me anyway..

I prefer larger minis as they have more character ( it's easier to get attached to them  :D )

You have to paint quite a few minis to field an army. Not my strong point.

It's a fairly niche scale so not many people to play with. And not as great a range of minis as there are in other scales.
"The sword sung on the barren heath,
The sickle in the fruitful field;
The sword he sung a song of death,
But could not make the sickle yield."
William Blake

Offline smokezombie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 10:32:48 AM »
Just because everyone likes a pic here is my folding gaming table. The box next to it contains the minis for both armies (99% in packs still)

And an unfinished ruined building for the Mordhein in 10mm with a Kalista mini and a 28mm for scale.

Not the sort of pics your after. Sorry.

Offline The Baggagetrain

• Bookworm
    • the-baggagetrain
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 10:45:12 AM »
How could I forget Kalista (sorry Paul) very nice range, this is growing steadily in size. Their Hex terrain is fantastic and their medieval castle is wonderful.
Not a problem with the photos, I do like the idea with the table. The point about lack of people to play, there is still a very good Warmaster ancients following out there and the old Rick Priestley site has been moved and updated to the following:
http://www.ricks-warmaster.com/

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 11:03:43 AM »
And an unfinished ruined building for the Mordhein in 10mm with a Kalista mini and a 28mm for scale.

Nice likkal building, smokezombie.
I can see that you have a thing for Pringles.
Put this habit to good use and make some towers out of them.
The smaller can looks perfect for 10mm.
 :D

Offline smokezombie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 11:19:18 AM »
Perhaps a bit too wide for a tower.
I've used  a big can for a 28mm tower ( like everyone else)  lol tho.

Any pics of your 10mm stuff?

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 11:36:50 AM »
Perhaps a bit too wide for a tower.

Not really. Try it.
 ;)

Any pics of your 10mm stuff?

lol
You a velly funny man.

Offline smokezombie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 11:56:28 AM »
....er yes..... Perhaps that came out wrong   lol

I'll try again.

Any pics of your painted 10mm wargame miniatures?

Not really. Try it.
 ;)
Don't even try and get me started on another project Mason. I have my hands full from the last project you brainwashed me into  ;)

Offline Steam Flunky

• Mastermind
  • Stop the world.I want to get off!
    • My Miniature collections on Flickr
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 04:41:27 PM »
In the 90's i started 6mm napoleonics as i wanted games with larger (80+ miniatures) battalions as they look much better and at the same time i like games when there is room to manovure on the table.
15mm was still too large for that and at that time there were no or hardly any 10mm miniatures.
The main problem with 6mm is, as a friend of mine pointed out, that it is sometimes difficult to see if a unit with a shako is wearing french dark blue or russian dark green.
Pros - 10mm have all the advantages of 6mm, but the figure are as good as a lot of 15mm figures.
Cons - Cannot really think of any except that some gamers might find them difficult to paint as they have quite a lot of detail.
I have been selling all my 6mm collections and concentrating on 10mm from now on.
At Crisis in Antwerp i saw the new Romans from Van Dyck-
http://vandyckmodelsandfigurines.be/index.php/furniture/living-room/roman-army-imperial-era.html
These are easily the best 10/12mm miniatures i have ever seen. He had them under a microscope and they were still perfect.
laf medals by Robert  (steam flunky), auf Flickrhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/torq42/sets/