Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:24:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690911
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bombed Out City Beginning  (Read 7542 times)

Offline Baconfat

• Librarian
    • baconfatblog.blogspot.com
Bombed Out City Beginning
« on: November 30, 2012, 01:50:04 AM »
Building a new 4' x 8' board, basically a bombed out city board for zombie, modern, sci-fi, or post apocalyptic games.

Firstly I hate the average "city" terrain, especially the stupid GW terrain; a manufacturum (factory) the size of a landraider. The space humans supposedly live in giant hives the size of mountains, but the terrain GW sells is scale wise smaller than the average Circle K.

Making big terrain, still small by normal city scale, but I don't want to buy ladders to put on a game. When done, I hope to install a "Fallout" style vault underneath, or at least some accessible sewers.

First of multiple building wrecks is a 40" wide x 32" tall x 12" deep bombed out office building. It's taller than Forgeworld's tallest Titan models.

Read more: http://boardofthelivinglead.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=zblogs&action=display&thread=695#ixzz2DfNkKBX3

Offline Baconfat

• Librarian
Re: Bombed Out City Beginning
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 01:51:14 AM »
Front shot, needs remnants of windows. I've been hording clear plastic to install after painting.

Offline Baconfat

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 01:52:15 AM »
Inside shot

Even though most 25-28mm scale models are between 1-2" tall, I've made the levels or floors 4" tall so that 1829mm scale human hands may reach inside to move models around.

I've seen a guy (username tommygun or something like that) on Dakka that gives out free files to print scale office supplies that I mix in with rubble and dead bodies.

Read more: http://boardofthelivinglead.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=zblogs&action=display&thread=695#ixzz2DfObwrWg

Offline Baconfat

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 01:53:45 AM »
larger shot of the inside

will need to add hanging wire and crumbling rubble. I've been wandering parking lots like a zombie looking for little bits of metal to use as revarb and assorted building junk.

I hope to post some pics of a stairwell and maybe some rooftop progress this coming weekend.

love,
Baconfat
http://baconfatblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Chainmailninja

• Bookworm
    • Zed or Alive: The Zombie Miniatures Game
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 02:59:44 AM »
Holy moly! That is not small.  :o

Lookin' great! That's going to be a lot of fun to play on! Depending on the rules, you'll have some troops unable to even fire back at snipers on the roof, good stuff!  :D

For the metal rebar, I've found that paperclips work well. They're easy to work with/shape, and slide right into foamcore. Clipping them into reasonably short lengths makes them less likely to bend during use. The only downside is that they aren't textured like the real thing. :( Hope that helps!

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 03:36:29 AM »
Baling wire comes in many different gages. Find one about the right size. It is fairly soft easy to cut and easy to bend. Might work a little better than paper clips. Is often a throw away at warehouses & other places that recieved packages that were tied with baling wire. I'm talking the small stuff used for packaging and not hay baling wire. I have quit a bit of the small stuff myself collected over the years from various jobs.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +109

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 03:55:59 AM »
Wow, thats some big building.
Can't wait to see it done.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 06:48:20 AM »
 :o Thats a bit big (but in a good way!) Really looking forward to seeing how this develops!
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 12:27:58 PM »
eick! That's big!
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 01:46:53 PM »
Well, I for one share your philosophy of 'Bigger is Better'. Especially when it comes to buildings for gaming purposes. I am planning to do a table representing my own house/street, in an appropriate scale; 1/50.

That's an easy to work with conversion scale, and when gaming with miniatures on bases, the slightly larger scale will not look out of place. And then there's the inevitable scale creep in miniatures, and the 30/32mm minis we see more and more, will also be more and more in scale with the terrain. Plan for the future, I say! :D

It does mean that there will be less buildings on the table, but the proportions are much more realistic, so it adds to the feel and look of the game. IMHO that is of course...

Besides; if you like the idea of gaming in a modern/near future urban setting, you simply won't get away with two storey buildings being the highest structure, unless you also like suburbia. ;)

I really like your project, and I'm curious to see where it goes from here. Have you considered also making the back half of the building, to exactly fit against it? You'd have a massive building for the center of the table, or two half as massive builsings for the sides of the table. It's what I hope to do when I finally get to build my project...

Also; what finish are you going for? Concrete? Or a more polished look, like glass and plastic?

Oh, and don't be alarmed by any cry of 'Insanity!', as you clearly are not half as crazy as these two nutters: lol
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline MajorTalon

• Scientist
  • Talon Company!
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 07:20:26 PM »
Well, I for one share your philosophy of 'Bigger is Better'. Especially when it comes to buildings for gaming purposes. I am planning to do a table representing my own house/street, in an appropriate scale; 1/50.

That's an easy to work with conversion scale, and when gaming with miniatures on bases, the slightly larger scale will not look out of place. And then there's the inevitable scale creep in miniatures, and the 30/32mm minis we see more and more, will also be more and more in scale with the terrain. Plan for the future, I say! :D

It does mean that there will be less buildings on the table, but the proportions are much more realistic, so it adds to the feel and look of the game. IMHO that is of course...

Besides; if you like the idea of gaming in a modern/near future urban setting, you simply won't get away with two storey buildings being the highest structure, unless you also like suburbia. ;)

I really like your project, and I'm curious to see where it goes from here. Have you considered also making the back half of the building, to exactly fit against it? You'd have a massive building for the center of the table, or two half as massive builsings for the sides of the table. It's what I hope to do when I finally get to build my project...

Also; what finish are you going for? Concrete? Or a more polished look, like glass and plastic?

Oh, and don't be alarmed by any cry of 'Insanity!', as you clearly are not half as crazy as these two nutters: lol
Those were made for a music video though. ;D

Offline Baconfat

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 01:39:03 AM »
Progress on front entrance which still need alot of work.

Stairs are made out of foam board with paper pulled off and painted with cheap lite mocha Apple Barrel craft paint.

Offline Baconfat

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 02:07:47 AM »
Here's a top down stairwell view before I added stairs.  Looks like an cyclopeadian cavern of gateways.

Offline Baconfat

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 02:18:19 AM »
Here's a pic with stairs newly added to the well.

Offline Baconfat

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 02:19:54 AM »
an initial side view of the stair well