Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:15:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690927
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rules for a 1940's London setting?  (Read 2380 times)

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
Rules for a 1940's London setting?
« on: November 26, 2012, 06:59:07 PM »
Hi all,

I thought I'd seek some advice from you seasoned Cthulhuers. As the title says, can you think of rules that would work in a 1940's London setting? Strange Aeons perhaps? I have a project in mind, similar to the world of CoC but based in London during the Blitz. I need atmospheric rules that will bring out the essence of mortals against supernature rather than a blood thirsty mash-up (although that wouldn't be a bad thing at the climax of the game!).

Basically the players will control small groups of individuals, say police detectives or paranormal investigators and the umpire will control the beasties which can quite easily be based on Lovercraft's creations but may also include vampires and other undead nasties. Played against the background of the Blitz will I think it will add another dimension to the games with lots of possibilities for scenarios and locations. 

The whole thing is in the early stages at the moment but I'd like to start with an appropriate set of rules.   

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Don't!

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
Re: Rules for a 1940's London setting?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 07:05:49 PM »
I think that SA would suit well. The Sanity loss aspects make it more suitable to atmospheric gaming. Areas of recent bombing could have the same effect as the Scenes of Terror and a "Keep Calm and Carry On" poster could give players a chance to recoup lost sanity.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 07:32:40 PM »
Yep Strange Aeons will work for you.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline smokezombie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 09:00:08 PM »
I'm going to chime in with the Strange Aeons support. Sounds like its exactly what your after. Very little tweaking required.

Sounds like you'll have some fun with this.
"The sword sung on the barren heath,
The sickle in the fruitful field;
The sword he sung a song of death,
But could not make the sickle yield."
William Blake

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 10:01:46 PM »
I think that SA would suit well. The Sanity loss aspects make it more suitable to atmospheric gaming. Areas of recent bombing could have the same effect as the Scenes of Terror and a "Keep Calm and Carry On" poster could give players a chance to recoup lost sanity.

Yep Strange Aeons will work for you.

I'm going to chime in with the Strange Aeons support. Sounds like its exactly what your after. Very little tweaking required.

Sounds like you'll have some fun with this.

They are all spot on, Thunderchicken, SA would be perfect for small groups.
It is such a versatile system.
I will be using it VERY soon for my Apocalypse 1929 game, mainly featuring a zombie apocalypse in Britain, based around a group of 'survivors'.

Maybe we should compare notes, once we get started?

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 08:18:27 PM »
Thanks chaps.  :) Will order myself a copy of the rules.

Mason, Very interesting indeed. Tell me more........

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 08:24:41 PM »
Mason, Very interesting indeed. Tell me more........

I will be starting a thread shortly, as this project will begin properly over the holiday period. I will be using a lot of the stuff that I have already used for my Strange Aeons project, but will, of course, have to paint a shedload more zombies.
Not sure which board it should be on yet, Post-Apoc (because of the nature of the project) or Strange Aeons (as I will be using those rules and expanding them).

The basics are all in place, now just have to find some 'victims' to play-test it on...I already have two volunteers, who may well be giving it a first run-out next week...

Offline Profane Creation

• Bookworm
  • Bazinga!
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 07:11:59 PM »
There is also the free Mythos Minis rules which are a variant of the Dr Who Miniatures game produced by Crooked Dice. I haven't had a chance to play them but they seem OK, as the Dr Who rules were good and quite solid.

However, I've heard so many good things about Strange Aeons that I'm even considering picking it up.
Oh - ancient ones, the fearless gods
I wake you up tonight
To rule the earth again

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 06:42:38 PM »
I will be starting a thread shortly, as this project will begin properly over the holiday period. I will be using a lot of the stuff that I have already used for my Strange Aeons project, but will, of course, have to paint a shedload more zombies.
Not sure which board it should be on yet, Post-Apoc (because of the nature of the project) or Strange Aeons (as I will be using those rules and expanding them).

The basics are all in place, now just have to find some 'victims' to play-test it on...I already have two volunteers, who may well be giving it a first run-out next week...

How's this going old fruit?

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 08:48:45 PM »
How's this going old fruit?

It has stalled slightly due to this whole 'christmas' business.
Playtesting will have to be put off until after the holidays, as trying to meet up with anyone at this time of year is a bit of a bugger.

The base rules will be the Strange Aeons set, with a few simple modifications to make them work in a slightly different way. The main change will be the campaign system, where you will run a group of 'survivors' in a similar way to running a warband in Mordheim, or a Threshold team in SA.
The group will be collecting resources that will have to spent on food, fuel, ammo, etc and the remainder used in a similar way to Map Pieces in SA to play specific scenarios on the way.
A series of scenarios will need to be completed to continue along the 'Survival Path' and eventually lead your group to a safe place.
This will of course need some playtesting to get the balance of 'Resource Points' achievable in each game correct, to make sure that it is not either too easy or too difficult.
The upside to this break is that I will have time to get all the extra rules etc typed up.

I did start a thread with some of the figures that will be transferring across from my Strange Aeons project here;
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=48675.0

More updates will appear there.

Of course, this will make a lot more sense when you get your SA rulebook and get a chance to read it.
Great set of rules.
I am sure that you will find them a sound choice.