Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:58:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690897
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for Star Wars customizers / sculptors  (Read 3056 times)

Offline Mark Costner

• Lurker
Looking for Star Wars customizers / sculptors
« on: November 28, 2012, 02:57:40 AM »
Hey there mini fans.

I've got a need and a friend suggested that this board would be a great place to meet someone that can help.  I've just started in a Star Wars game and we use the minis put out by Wizards of the Coast.
Examples:
http://www.miniaturemarket.com/collectible-miniatures/star-wars-miniatures.html?gclid=CJ_clt2h5LMCFdKd4AodhmsARw

Many of the players, however, have picked PC races/classes that are poorly represented in the ole' WoTC collection.  I'm looking for conversions or even full on sculpts that can fill the shoes I describe below.

Squb diplomat.
  Blue fur, ears folding over, nice but not flashy clothes, Dk Brn to black color scheme, themes like a VP of apple.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Images_of_Squibs

Wookiee Zero-G combat suit
  Wookiee with a full up combat space suit on.  Inspired by the Zero-G Trooper and the GTU series suits but styles like a Wookiee would build it.
  Add in a pair of heavy weapons on the back and a big curving sword in the hand/s.  (still carries the bowcaster for nostalgia reasons)
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Zero-G_assault_stormtrooper
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/AV-1c_combat_armor
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/AV-1A_assault_armor

Morseerian Gunslinger
  Look just like the one in the Cantina Scene, big head and face mask, 4 arms, white or orange pilot suit, four matching pistols
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Morseerian

Selonian Scout/Survivalist (Impossible one?)  I don't know of anything close to the body type
  Female, brown cloak, with rifle and pistol.  No clothes required as it is already furry, but the cloak is for style.
Will want some nice highlights in the belly fur to keep it from being monotone.
 http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Selonian

Let me know here or at markdcostner@yahoo.com if you are interested in applying yourself to this noble (paying) mission.

Respectfully yours,

Mark Costner

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Re: Looking for Star Wars customizers / sculptors
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 11:47:39 AM »
...Did you not post the exact same thing (word for word) here last week?

If you're merely posting again to get a reply, I would suggest that more/better information (ideally some sketches - no matter how bad) would probably yield you better response.

For example, what on earth does this mean:
Squb diplomat.
  Blue fur, ears folding over, nice but not flashy clothes, Dk Brn to black color scheme, themes like a VP of apple.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Images_of_Squibs

Best I could do was this figure from Reaper (about the right size too), which would need some modification and clothing.

Also, it seems to me that you're not just asking for sculpts, but for painted sculpts?

I'm not trying to be rude/harsh here; I want to help but have no real idea of what you're asking for exactly...

Offline Mark Costner

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 08:24:24 PM »
Scurv,

You got the main message right.  Thank you for the translation!! 

Major_Gilbear

I think the reaper fig you included is a great start on the Squib alien. 

Can you point me to someone who might modify and clothe it (including yourself)? 

Painting is good to.  Finding painters seems far easier than finding folks who are willing to turn a mini into something new.  If the sculptor/modder also paints, so much the better. 

I didn't get into all the possible details on this post as I'm just looking for a person willing to take the job.  Details will come later.  I regret if it was unclear. 

I don't feel any harshness from you, thank you for for being open. 

- Mark Costner

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 12:23:31 PM »
Generally, agree with Scurv's last post... Although if you commission a fig for private use, I can't see IP infringement being an issue really. It's more when the sculptor advertises the same again for others, or if the sculpts are cast up and sold that it becomes a hot topic. Still, let's not devolve the topic into that particular mire.

I have done some commission work in the past, and I have also abandoned some too. Almost always, the difference between those projects completed successfully and those abandoned have been (1) the expectations of the client and their communication of this to me, and (2) the quality and detail of the information supplied to me. I have always found that whether it was digital work, sculpting or painting, it's always about getting the right result in the end, and that takes both the client and the contractor working together to achieve.

For example, if scale is really important, don't leave it until the last minute to tell me after I've sculpted most of the figures. Likewise, if you have a specific clothing style or weapon you want, detail it for me (even a bad drawing helps more than you might think). But if I don't know what you want (or worse, you don't know what you want) and you can't/won't tell me, then I cannot really meet your expectations except through luck can I?

Therefore, explaining that you will go through in more detail with somebody what you want to do after you find a willing volunteer, is putting the cart before the horse IMO. If on a project like this people don't know exactly what you want/they are letting themselves in for, then you should expect a lukewarm response.

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 02:20:07 PM »
If mark wants to contract someone to do sculpts/customs for him, and he has no intent to sell them, there is absolutely no issue here.  He just needs to find someone who is willing to do the work. So if any of the usual sculptors who frequent LAF are reading this an fancy a bit of extra work, Mark is your man!
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 02:38:07 PM »
...I find myself agreeing with Scurv again!

That said, if you want to pay somebody for doing those or similar conversions, then that's fair enough - I appreciate that not everyone has the time or inclination to do these things themselves afterall (especially if you are not a modeller/painter and don't have a lot of stuff like putty, paints and brushes already).

Offline Mark Costner

• Lurker
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 04:49:49 AM »
Scurv, Major Gilbear,

Great points all.  I totally get the drawing angle.  I will commit to having a drawing of any piece to be custom sculpted or even modified to suit. 

Scale is easy to provide.  We are talking 3.5 cm -4.5 cm, depending on pose.

I am a guy who is over-extended for time so I don't have the time to put together a good mini, no matter how easy.  I also just about failed penmanship class in grade school, only class I ever got below a B, and it was WAY below.  I'm told I write like an ax murderer.  Sadly, I can't disagree.  I accept this limitation knowing that I'm also bigger than those girly men with flowery handwriting.  I can still kick their kiesters. 

I am also a guy who believes in quality.  That means I'm not doing my own painting or sculpting with my lack of fine motor skills.  God has blessed me in other ways. 

Now, I'm not Bill Gates or one of the 1%.  I don't really know how much this sculpting idea might cost.  Just how much is "about half a ton?"  Still, I'll happily pay some bud to put together the pieces from what Scurv described, work in some green stuff and call it a day.  From the cost point of view, that is probably the best option.  I'd even do the mini drawing to generally match the basic pose of one of those other minis.  No worries there. 

Lastly, I do a lot of Drama/Theater and I expect art to have a layer of interpretation between the author, the director, the actor, and the individual audience member.  Clear direction is fundamental, critical actually, but there still must be room for artistic license.  An over-controlling director creates stilted plays.  In this minis arena, I'm aware of my inexperience so I want to leave a little room for the artist. 

Ps.  Gungans are a great race choice.  I like them fine. 
(Did I make you choke there?  Question my judgement?)

Offline smokezombie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 05:55:32 PM »
Strangly in the UK a ton ( tonne) when referring to money is £100.

Sorry no help to the SW question whatsoever.
"The sword sung on the barren heath,
The sickle in the fruitful field;
The sword he sung a song of death,
But could not make the sickle yield."
William Blake

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 11:58:42 PM »
For 3 figures sculpting would cost you anything from £40-£200 per mini. So minimum £120 for three to £600.

Greenstuff conversions FTW!
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Hildred Castaigne

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 01:20:25 AM »
Strangly in the UK a ton ( tonne) when referring to money is £100.

Sorry no help to the SW question whatsoever.
It's not an off-the-cuff measurement?  ???

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 08:17:24 PM »
who scuplts a fig at 40 quid?!? and is it worth 40 quid? Thats cheap as sliced fried potatos.

I was talking about low end sculpts mate. As you say, you get what you pay and I wasn't talking about very high end sculpts.

Cheers.