Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:28:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690463
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: At the Court of the Crimson King  (Read 12867 times)

Offline Ensign Madcap

• Librarian
At the Court of the Crimson King
« on: December 03, 2012, 08:55:41 PM »
I'm continually inspired and blown away by the imagination and paint jobs displayed here on LAF, and thought it was about time I showed you chaps some of my old collection. I haven't done a great deal of painting for about 10 years or so, but now my oldest son (aged 10, hmmm there is some connection there) is getting into painting minis I have dug out a few of my old armies to look at.

I painted this army over  20 years ago, and the paintjobs are beginning to show their age now (as is the Humbrol varnish, yellowing away). I never finished all the figures to complete the army, and will probably get around to that some day. I draw a lot of inspiration from album covers, and At the Court of the Crimson King by King Crimson, one of my favourite sleeves and records, is written for the fantasy gamer, with loads of fungus inspired lyrics about Pattern Jugglers, Fire Witches, Moon children etc. o_o. It ties in nicely with Mick_in_Switzerland's work on a Toyah figure, as Toyah is married to Robert Fripp of King Crimson.

I would be interested to know what you guys think about rebasing, repainting etc, and then completing the cast by adding some of the characters in the songs.

First up some of the units of Orange Goblins (Minifigs Tunnel Elves and the odd Rafm figure)

I'll just see if this lot upload ok (being a novice at picture posting) and then stick some more photos up in the next day or so.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 09:05:41 PM by Ensign Madcap »

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
Re: At the Court of the Crimson King
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 09:09:27 PM »
Great! Nice to see old school with a PJ. I collect old lead myself but am a very slow painter.....

Offline Ensign Madcap

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 09:37:55 PM »
As these uploaded ok. I will post the rest of the army here and now, more Orange Goblins first

Some People of the Pine (Minifigs Silver Rose Knights in fircone like armour)

The Purple Piper's freakshow (Minifigs again, I love this old range of bizarre beasties)

The Firewitches, summoned by the tolling of a cracked brass bell

Moonchildren Cavalry, wonderful Rodney Matthews type cavalry and horses again from Minifigs. There seem to be 2 styles of horses here, one with more more barding than the other.

Artillery, to cast the Crimson King's likeness at the enemy (old Atlantic catapults with Irregular artillerygoblins

Orange Goblin sleeping quarters

The keeper of the City Gates and his deafonator

Seige Tower. The arms are lowered on arrival at the walls

and finally some of the Crimson Kings fanatics

« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 09:46:26 PM by Ensign Madcap »

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 10:00:04 PM »
You've got some VERY COOL minis there...the cavalry in particular. The pieces have a certain surrealistic quality to them which appeals to moi...I'm a surrealist sort of Old Guy. Keep 'em coming!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 10:30:44 PM »
This is really impressive..! Somewhat surreal, as Monsier Nala has said. The concistantly bizarre figures and imagery really make this work :) Good job! I love the siege tower!

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 10:58:40 PM »
Lovely - I really like the cavalry too, and the orange goblins, and the siege tower and the...

Well all of it really - its like a cross between something from Alice in Wonderland, Narnia and goodness knows what else  8)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 11:15:25 PM »
Awesome.
I don't think you need to repaint.
Not sure what you could add to the range now - most modern sculpts are not as esoteric as the old Minifigs range although there are some Empire of the Petal Throne that might fit in.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 11:41:43 PM »
Wonderful! It needs no changes it's a thing of its time and is better for it.

Offline Delaney

• Scientist
  • With great power comes great power bills.
    • Delaney King
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 01:01:48 AM »
 :-*

I have a tub of tunnel elves that I have been aching to paint up, including the horses- very Rodney Matthews!
This is really inspiring stuff!  True fantasy!

How about making some Red King air balloons?

Delaney King:  Digital Artist, Sculptor, Character Artist, TransDimentional Spatula Wielder, Sandwich.
My retro mini blog:  http:www.kingsminis.blogspot.com       My own minis and games:  www.darklinggames.com

Offline Delaney

• Scientist
    • Delaney King
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 01:09:51 AM »
Regarding repainting and fixing up...

A soft nylon house paintbrush can take off the dust, a fresh spray of gloss varnish, followed by matte spray may help pop the colors back.

Failing that, I would then look at using really transparent glazes of windsor & newton inks thinned with matt medium (citadels one is, surprisingly, the best for this) to enrich any faded colors and give a bit of contrast and depth.

Other then that an edge highlight or two and a little love on the bases and your gilding that lilly!

Offline The Travelling Man

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 01:20:46 AM »
Amazing! :o An inspirational army- thanks for posting mate.

Offline Delaney

• Scientist
    • Delaney King
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 02:46:40 AM »
Regarding repainting and fixing up...

A soft nylon house paintbrush can take off the dust, a fresh spray of gloss varnish, followed by matte spray may help pop the colors back.

Failing that, I would then look at using really transparent glazes of windsor & newton inks thinned with matt medium (citadels one is, surprisingly, the best for this) to enrich any faded colors and give a bit of contrast and depth.

Other then that an edge highlight or two and a little love on the bases and your gilding that lilly!

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 03:30:44 AM »
Wow that's some seriously fun and funky stuff.

Very different, I love it of course.  :-*  :D

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 03:34:51 AM »
Somewhere deep in the lead mountain I think I might still have some of those figures.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 03:48:21 AM »
I love and I mean love this army, do not rebase, do not repaint; it is perfect as is (though I would suggest what king said about a new coat of varnish). This is everything I love about old lead/sculpts nothing can touch these sculpt today. I am especially impressed with all the freehand on the shields, bravo!

All I can say is keep posting everything you have ever painted; I for one want to see it all.

Great stuff
 Damien