Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:38:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: At the Court of the Crimson King  (Read 12802 times)

Offline Ensign Madcap

• Librarian
Re: At the Court of the Crimson King
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2012, 08:36:44 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement, glad you like these old figures....I really think Minifigs produced the best figures ever, and they are such fun to paint too, maybe it's a nostalgia thing, but I have not found anything that floats my boat as much.

Fantastic stuff, I too love the Rodney Mathews vibe :-* For yourself and for us get back to painting!
FFF

Yep, my bedroom was floor to ceiling Rodney Matthews pictures during the eighties, posters and cut up calendars. I recently managed to get a signed copy of Safe and Sound on the Sundial which I have had framed and put up in the mancave... :D

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2012, 09:04:47 PM »
Wow, what a fantastic army! Amazing stuff - you must be very proud  :)

Offline Simlasa

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2012, 02:10:42 AM »
maybe it's a nostalgia thing, but I have not found anything that floats my boat as much.
There is a style to them that is... well, it seems to thrive on the relative lack of details compared to modern bling encrusted minis. The lack of intricate detail leaves them a bit mysterious/open-ended... as do the names for many of them, that allude to unfamiliar factions and realms. I look at them and they fire up my imagination with their open potential.

Kind of like how my favorite toys as a kid were not tied to any particular movie or TV show... so I felt free to create whatever personality I wanted for them.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 02:16:55 AM by Simlasa »

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2012, 04:04:21 PM »
These look great! I would really love it if Minifigs re-vamped that old line to modern standards! Or gave permission for someone to do it...

Offline Ensign Madcap

• Librarian
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2012, 05:36:14 PM »
There is a style to them that is... well, it seems to thrive on the relative lack of details compared to modern bling encrusted minis. The lack of intricate detail leaves them a bit mysterious/open-ended... as do the names for many of them, that allude to unfamiliar factions and realms. I look at them and they fire up my imagination with their open potential.

Kind of like how my favorite toys as a kid were not tied to any particular movie or TV show... so I felt free to create whatever personality I wanted for them.

Spot on Simlasa, Rudolph Steiner said something very similar about children's toys, the lack of detail or expression, allowing the player to be more creative and imaginative. The standardisation of GW's armies and everyone following in their wake has taken the fantasy out of fantasy gaming.

These look great! I would really love it if Minifigs re-vamped that old line to modern standards! Or gave permission for someone to do it...
I have been hassling them for years to redo these figures, and the few they have re-released seem to be rather overpriced. If only they would sell the moulds to someone else... me for instance ;)

Offline Stecal

• Scientist
    • Pictures of my minis
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2012, 05:54:14 PM »
Amazing army & wonderful theme.  I had no idea they ever made figs like this.

Clear the battlefield and let me see
All the profit from our victory.

Offline Simlasa

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2012, 10:17:03 PM »
I would really love it if Minifigs re-vamped that old line to modern standards!
Which modern standards would you want them re-vamped to? I suspect any re-sculpting would be as likely to take away from their charm as add to it.
But having those lines available again at reasonable prices... I'd like them but I wonder if they'd sell enough to make it worth the effort.

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2012, 03:23:06 AM »
The problem is that the molds are sure to be shot and masters probably long gone, so you'd be making new molds from old figures.

I'd like to see the Knights re-sculpted with the same armour and shields - just nice, crisp new figures.

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2012, 05:24:43 AM »
First let me start by saying that I am a huge King Crimson fan.  Secondly, I love what you've done with the place!  Great to see this level of work done and even better that you used KC covers for inspiration!

Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline tradgardmastre

• Librarian
  • Courage is found in unlikely places. J.R.R.Tolkien
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2012, 07:30:24 PM »
Mike
Absolutely mind blowing army! This is soo creative and filled with great ideas. I didn't know the minifigs range at the time but you have created a wonderfully original  army. There is definitely a Rodger Matthews look to your chaps. By the way what are the very Matthewesque mounted figures and hoses?
best wishes
Alan
You are welcome to visit my Duchy of Tradgardland blog at:
http://tradgardland.blogspot.com/ and my 20th century gaming blog at : http://armyredwhite.blogspot.com/
New interwar imaginations blog at:
http://interbellumimaginations.blogspot.com/

Offline Ensign Madcap

• Librarian
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2012, 10:07:20 PM »
There is definitely a Rodger Matthews look to your chaps. By the way what are the very Matthewesque mounted figures and hoses?

Thanks, the mounted chaps are High Elves from the Minifigs Aureola Rococo range, which had Tunnel elves (the short green chaps in my army), barbarians and some rather pert Amazons among others. They were a wonderful range of original fantasy figures and I am sure these elves were based on Rodney Matthews' art, the horses certainly are his style (which is why I painted them blue rather than a horsey colour). If they rereleased these at a reasonable price I would buy loads more.

Offline Imp522

• Scientist
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2012, 02:56:21 PM »
Amazing looking army.

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2012, 03:12:33 PM »
Ensign Madcap (did you laugh when you did this?!)

Love this - I always felt that Court of the Crimson Kings really called out to me as a fantasy fan.I love how you have taken the concepts from the album and developed them. All I could think of that it seemed to lack was a Black Queen to chant the funeral march - or did I just miss her?

I seem to recall the People of the Pines from Moorcock's Second Chronicles of Corum. Now the Fhoi Myore would make a breathtaking fantasy army too!

Wonderful - thanks for sharing!
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline Ensign Madcap

• Librarian
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2012, 04:08:03 PM »
Ensign Madcap (did you laugh when you did this?!)

Love this - I always felt that Court of the Crimson Kings really called out to me as a fantasy fan.I love how you have taken the concepts from the album and developed them. All I could think of that it seemed to lack was a Black Queen to chant the funeral march - or did I just miss her?

I seem to recall the People of the Pines from Moorcock's Second Chronicles of Corum. Now the Fhoi Myore would make a breathtaking fantasy army too!

Wonderful - thanks for sharing!
Thanks, I never finished all the characters in the song, but hope to one day including the black queen et al. Yep the People of the Pines were from a Moorcock book, but I thought they fitted well into this army as a vassal unit to the Crimson King.

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2012, 04:50:20 PM »
The whole second chronicles of Corum has a great feel great feel to it for gaming. More than the first chronicles, IMO. Just need to resist the urge to find some Ghoolegh huntsmen...