Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:09:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Magnetic Basing Help  (Read 1583 times)

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
    • Bloggity-Blog-Blog / "The Zone"
Magnetic Basing Help
« on: November 22, 2012, 08:26:01 PM »
Hey All,

I’ve decided that I have too many ship models to store them in foam trays, and have decided to make the switch to magnetic bases and a nice metal-lined box. Should be able to fit roughly three times as many models into the same area that way.

Question is, what is the best magnetic basing material and where can I buy it cheapest?
Also, how does one go around lining a file box in metal? Or is there a better form of container? (perhaps, a muli-layered tool-box?)

MM.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 08:36:50 PM by Mr.Marx »

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
Re: Magnetic Basing Help
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 08:54:37 PM »
I typically go the other route. I line my trays with magnetic sign material and use metal bases or the adhesive metal material that Litko sells.

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 09:01:16 PM »
I typically go the other route. I line my trays with magnetic sign material and use metal bases or the adhesive metal material that Litko sells.

I assumed that 'magnets' would be more expensive than metal?

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 09:16:34 PM »
Try  http://www.magneticdisplays.co.uk/

If you go your original way use steel paper which is easy to cut and stick into your container or if you reverse, which is very handy if you have figures on magnetic coins or washers, the container can be multi purpose and the steel paper is easy to blend onto your existing bases.
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 02:07:15 AM »
For my Uncharted Seas ships, I used magnetic sheet stuck to the bottom of the base, and more magnetic sheet stuck in the bottom of a tray.  It holds them well enough, and is pretty cheap.

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 08:18:42 PM »
I ordered a reem of magnetic tape from Magnetic Displays, and within 2 days of placing the order I had it in my hands. Damned fine job that man!

MM.

Offline Paddy649

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 08:31:51 PM »
Another vote for http://www.magneticdisplays.co.uk/

...especially if combined with steel bases from these guys: www.freewebs.com/pwsltd/

Offline dbsubashi

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 07:38:06 AM »
I always recommend that folks NEVER use actual tool boxes to store minis. Thieves see tool boxes and think quick sale of tools. Myself, friends, and other gamers have been victimized this way, both from home break-ins and car break-ins.

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 08:47:11 AM »
I mount my figures on steel washers and line plastic trays with magnetic paper..

A good source of cheap magnetic sheets are the pound shops - buy the A4 sheets of kiddies fridge magnets.

seems to do the job nicely

Eric

Offline Vonkluge

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • Dogs of War and Bengal Club member / Kaiser Bill!
    • Historical Hobbies
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 09:17:46 AM »
Well if you have some spare cash you could have your minis ride around in the "cadillac" of wargame boxes! lined with steel or magnet, your choice. Actually some of these are for sale. I make them every few years for myself and friends. They are very nice and sell like hot cakes. Look under my name in the "bazaar of obscurities" and to be truthfull the last two just sold but I will be making another batch as I have a few friends who are rebasing and re-casing their armys.

I base on both steel for some scales and miniatures and others I base on magnet lining the drawers with the corasponding material accordingly. Most of my 15mm armys are on magnet and the drawers ined with steel, 28mm singely munted figures are on washers ad the drawers lined with Sheet magnet. My space fleets are on cut styrene which then has sheet steel cut ad glued to it. I like lining drawers with steel better as the steel is harder to work with the smaller you make it.

Sheet Steel in the US is often called "roofers tin" and can be forund most hardware or buillding supply stores. You can get it in sheets about on foot square or in a roll 12" x 25 feet! Yes I bought a roll 15 years ago! (it rolls out perfectly flat. Same with magnetic sheet. I bought a 2 foot by 50 foot roll (split it with a chum) for about $100 also 15 years ago and we both still have some. Sounds like a bit much but if its yur hobby for life then you will use it and save a lot of money! The magnetic sheet should be the .030 thickness. It will need to be flattend off the roll. I cut a few feet and stick it on the side of the laundry dryer and the warmth flatens it out shortly so I always have some ready to go. To cut the steel buy a set of hand shears for that purpose, not cheap but worth it.

I use a spray contact cement (3Ms 77 spray in the US) but brush contact glue or silicone sealer will also work. do not use wood glue, super glue, two part epoxy, or glue made of seal blubber, they will cause problems over time!

Many of my friends have use tool chest over the years and no problems, A- do not leave them out of sight while you go to the loo... or in the back seat of your car, or anywhere a theif might see them.

Hope this helps!

Bill W

PS you can take the drawers and turn them upside down! People always gasp!