Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:17:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The founding of Hickory Flat. The Law and Indians... Threadomancy...  (Read 49085 times)

Offline Groove51

• Librarian
    • Small Guys Rule
Re: The founding of Hickory Flat
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 10:09:39 PM »
I am Za's regular opponent (I think Nemesis is such an ugly word :D) and I have to agree. Cool game, great fun, very nice and clear set of rules. I've just undercoated three of my indians. Next time Za, ....next time!
 lol

Offline Za Zjurman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2012, 12:06:22 AM »
Bugger!

Maybe use the pieces as a collapsed tower?
Just a thought.....

Or perhaps they haven't finished building it yet.. ;)

Thanx for the ideas, please keep them coming. The water tower itself is still untouched, it is the beams that where so fragile that they totally collapsed. I think I am going to scratch build some myself. But it was just a feeling of total AAAAAAAARGH #$@$%&*

Next time Za, ....next time!
lol

I'll be there waiting for you to drive you out of my town MWUAHAH :D
Thanx for the game it was great fun

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2012, 02:03:12 AM »
Don't fret - that's the easy stuff.

Every worthwhile hobby shop has a nice set of basswood sticks of wood - pick one up, cut/saw it to size.  Other option is to simply put a base on it, and place it on top of a building (some buildings had water towers on the roof).

Part of the reason I haven't purchased a water tower yet is because they look pretty simple to make.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2012, 07:51:31 AM »
Or buy a simple and cheap resin one from Frontline, they are great.

Offline Za Zjurman

• Mad Scientist
Re: The founding of Hickory Flat. Update Vintage Wallpaper
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2012, 07:03:36 PM »
A small update. I spend a few minutes on "ze internet" and I found some nice vintage wallpaper samples. The inside of the Old West buildings is bland and without details to say the least so I decides to cover the walls with wallpaper. Sorry for the not so good pictures but there was no daylight left when I arrived home.

I also bought a peace of 28mm thick MDF for the table. After the game yesterday (which I won  :D :D :D) I decided that 2 by 2 is big enough. I also bought some roundwood to fix the water tower

Regards,
Za
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 07:34:33 PM by Za Zjurman »

Offline terrement

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2012, 07:54:23 PM »
As a fellow Black Scorpion/Sarissa owner...I applaud you sir! 

I on the other hand are not.  Lovely sculpts but too dag-gummed large to fit with my decades old collection of Dixons and others.

BUT...

If you are using the larger figures, the founder of Blackwater Gulch had all of his sculpts done to match BS in size / heft.  He's done some Kickstarters to get different posses together, and if you are so inclined, you might want to keep your eye open for future ones as I believe you can get some good deals as well as some KS unique figures.

Cheers,

JJ

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: The founding of Hickory Flat. Update: Vintage Wallpaper
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2012, 02:45:47 AM »
My buddies all use different manufacturers, and while it may look a little silly in hand to hand combat - only a few times has it looked downright comical on the board.  Certain companies produce really small miniatures (Knuckleduster are quite tiny by comparison).  At the end of the day though, they all look fine.

I don't like many of the Blackwater Gulch poses yet - the models really let it down.  I like movie-esque stuff, but some of the poses are downright stupid. :(

I'm hoping for better on some of the later posses.

Offline smokezombie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2012, 06:23:46 AM »
Nice wallpaper :D got a link? And we're they free?
"The sword sung on the barren heath,
The sickle in the fruitful field;
The sword he sung a song of death,
But could not make the sickle yield."
William Blake

Offline Za Zjurman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2012, 10:12:16 AM »
If you are using the larger figures, the founder of Blackwater Gulch had all of his sculpts done to match BS in size / heft.  He's done some Kickstarters to get different posses together, and if you are so inclined, you might want to keep your eye open for future ones as I believe you can get some good deals as well as some KS unique figures.

I just backed the last project, so more Old West lead coming this way lol

At the end of the day though, they all look fine.

Well that for me is the most important, if the miniatures look fine and you have fun, the scale doesn't matter that much.

Nice wallpaper :D got a link? And we're they free?

http://lostandtaken.com/blog/2009/6/3/vintage-damask-textures-part-ii.html

Just spent an evening putting wallpaper on miniature buildings, this morning my wife could't resist commenting about this. "It took you three years to put some wallpaper on the walls in the bedroom..." She is right  :D lol

Regards
Za

Offline Za Zjurman

• Mad Scientist
Re: The founding of Hickory Flat. Update 8/12
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2012, 12:33:06 PM »
The interior of the first building is finished. I also started painting the outside wood trimming. I also gave the buildings some glass.

Regards,
Za

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: The founding of Hickory Flat. Update 8/12
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2012, 11:52:30 PM »
Cripes that looks good...I think that's one step above my patience level, but it looks great.  I have considered glass though...hmmm...top notch work.

Offline Za Zjurman

• Mad Scientist
Re: The founding of Hickory Flat. 1st Building Finished
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2012, 12:06:48 PM »
Cripes that looks good...I think that's one step above my patience level, but it looks great.  I have considered glass though...hmmm...top notch work.

Hi Elbows, Thanks glad you like it and it didn't take long. Just print some wallpaper, cut it and glue it onto the wall. It took me 30 minutes for the first building. I just a glue stick. Thats all and makes a real difference imho. The glass is made from a cover where you put paper in to protect it. Don't now the word for it in English but I hop what I mean. I also glued this on the inside with the glue stick.

Well I made some progress yesterday evening. I finished the first building, a few slight mistakes but overall I'm very very pleased. I hop you like it. C&C more then welcome.

Work is also started on the second building. I hope to find the time to finish it today

Regards,
Za

Offline Mr Pommeroy

• Bookworm
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »
A wonderful job, sir!

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2012, 11:00:14 AM »
Great start for your town. How many buildings are you going to have for 2 x 2 board?

Offline Tomitchoe

• Assistant
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2012, 03:34:45 PM »

Very cool. Keep up the good work. Really looking good...
If life is a waste of time... and time a waste of life... then lets all get wasted together but have the time of our lives...