Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:30:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The founding of Hickory Flat. The Law and Indians... Threadomancy...  (Read 49144 times)

Offline Za Zjurman

• Mad Scientist
Re: The founding of Hickory Flat. Building #5 finished
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2012, 02:00:43 PM »
Very nice!
 :-*

Your town is really begining to come together.
And very quickly too!

Thank you very much. I am really enjoying myself in this project.

Looking good...what do you have planned for "detritus" as I like to call it?  (ie. barrels, boxes, fences, and "junk").  I just finished sanding/washing a bucket load of Ainsty stuff I picked up for cheap at a convention...to add to my heaping pile of random junk I use for my towns. :D

MMMM you shouldn't have mentioned "detritus". I immediately bought some Ainstey stuff. Thanx  8) :D

Offline Groove51

• Librarian
    • Small Guys Rule
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2012, 02:33:58 PM »
SQUIRREL!

Offline Za Zjurman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2012, 02:35:16 PM »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2012, 10:35:59 PM »
You're welcome...I've been inspired by your thread, and half-hazardly painted up a bunch of my other Old West buildings...sanded up and prepped all of my extra junk, started building two tables for market stalls, and added some beams to my roof-tops simply for looks.  Sadly I do not have any skill painting buildings...but they'll do.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Za Zjurman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2012, 11:12:58 PM »
You're welcome...I've been inspired by your thread, and half-hazardly painted up a bunch of my other Old West buildings...sanded up and prepped all of my extra junk, started building two tables for market stalls, and added some beams to my roof-tops simply for looks.  Sadly I do not have any skill painting buildings...but they'll do.

Thanx, I'm glad I could give you some inspiration. My buildings were all painted with cheap craft paints and I used a lot of washes, thats all. You can get great results with washes  :D.

I received the building signs from TryCitylaser. they are great. I painted them up an glued them to my buildings. I really really love them, they give an extra touch to the buildings. The batteries from my camera where down tonight so I will take some pictures tomorrow. I also received the gallows from Battle Flag. Also very beautiful.

I hope to take some pictures soon.

Regards,
Za

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2012, 11:49:04 PM »
I...did not fare so well.  I painted my buildings up but didn't prime them before hand (thinking the thick craft paints would cover well...NOPE!).  My buildings came out okay I guess...but I just suck at painting big flat-sections.  I made up some of my own washes, to no real benefit. :D

Offline Za Zjurman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2012, 11:55:13 PM »
I didn't prime my buildings either. I just drybrushed the buildings heavily and then gave the building a watered down black wash. (the new wash from army painter dark tone). then I weathered the building by using a brown wash (strong tone by army painter). Then I slightly dry brusher the building with a grey color, dust like. These washes saved me really on many occasions. ;D

Offline Za Zjurman

• Mad Scientist
Re: The founding of Hickory Flat. Building #6 finished
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2012, 03:03:06 PM »
The last building is finished. It is the biggest one I bought and I made it the general store. I also painted and added the signs on my buildings. The board is becoming more and more finished. I only need to paint the water tower, finish the gallows and add some (a lot  ;D) of "detritus".

Building #6 finished.

Signs.

Gallows.

Group shots.

Groove51 and I played another round of "A fist full of lead" this morning. It was another great game and we had a lot of fun. I must admit I lost and the indians took over the town of Hickory Flat. So I am already thinking of revenge.

Regards,

Za

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2012, 03:46:38 PM »
The General Store is wonderful.
Full of character and period feel.

The town is shaping up so well.

Now please stop right now, as I am finding Old West harder and harder to resist, and you are not helping!
 ;)

Offline Za Zjurman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2012, 03:56:19 PM »
The General Store is wonderful.
Full of character and period feel.

The town is shaping up so well.

Now please stop right now, as I am finding Old West harder and harder to resist, and you are not helping!
 ;)

Thank you very much Mason. And yes I have to stop right now because I'm finding more and more cool stuff I like and want  lol. I promised myself to buy no extra's anymore for this table. I'm awaiting the deliveries from 4ground and Ainstey and that's it...  :P 8)

Offline Groove51

• Librarian
    • Small Guys Rule
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2012, 10:15:25 PM »
So I guess you don't really want to know that I have just placed an order with Sarissa? lol

Offline Klingsor

• Bookworm
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2012, 10:33:51 PM »
Wonderful looking buildings, nice kits but finished really well.

However some of the flat roofs did look a little plain. Tar paper was seemingly often used for roof covering and while I am not exactly sure just what this is some of the model railway groups get very excited about it from time to time, suggesting various things to represent it including masking take, crepe paper, pastel paper and tissue paper, especially the stuff for covering model aircraft. The only one of these I have tried was masking tape which was some years ago and while it looked fine at the time it has subsequently started to peel so I cannot recommend it.

What I did make was a water tower, the drum was balsa planks glued round a cut down Pringles tube on a balsa platform, the supporting from being made from strips of wood. Very easy and quite sturdy but then it is based on a bit of 6mm MDF which adds a nice bit of strength, I suspect that the uprights might have been inserted into holes drilled into the MDF and then squared off to receive the uprights. I cannot remember but it is a technique I have used elsewhere and can recommend if you can accept the 6mm MDF base though it should also work with thinner material.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2012, 11:11:03 PM »
Za, if you ordered from 4Ground, I imagine you have some wagons inbound?  They're simply brilliant.  I think you'll see why I believe 4Ground is head and shoulders above everyone else.  Really squared away outfit.

Your signs look great, way better than the prototype stuff I have.  I guess again I can't complain because mine was free!  Glad to see Lee has done a lot of work upgrading his stuff.

Offline Za Zjurman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2012, 09:29:50 AM »
So I guess you don't really want to know that I have just placed an order with Sarissa? lol

Squirrel..... So what did you order.... the Church?

Wonderful looking buildings, nice kits but finished really well.

However some of the flat roofs did look a little plain. Tar paper was seemingly often used for roof covering and while I am not exactly sure just what this is some of the model railway groups get very excited about it from time to time, suggesting various things to represent it including masking take, crepe paper, pastel paper and tissue paper, especially the stuff for covering model aircraft. The only one of these I have tried was masking tape which was some years ago and while it looked fine at the time it has subsequently started to peel so I cannot recommend it.

What I did make was a water tower, the drum was balsa planks glued round a cut down Pringles tube on a balsa platform, the supporting from being made from strips of wood. Very easy and quite sturdy but then it is based on a bit of 6mm MDF which adds a nice bit of strength, I suspect that the uprights might have been inserted into holes drilled into the MDF and then squared off to receive the uprights. I cannot remember but it is a technique I have used elsewhere and can recommend if you can accept the 6mm MDF base though it should also work with thinner material.

I gave the, indeed very plain, roofs a lot of thought and then decided to just glue some coffee stirrers on them and add some sand to represent dust. It "breaks" the surface if you understand what I mean. And I can really recommend Sarissa buildings to anyone who wants to have good quality buildings for little money. With a little effort and paint they look great IMHO.

Za, if you ordered from 4Ground, I imagine you have some wagons inbound?  They're simply brilliant.  I think you'll see why I believe 4Ground is head and shoulders above everyone else.  Really squared away outfit.

Your signs look great, way better than the prototype stuff I have.  I guess again I can't complain because mine was free!  Glad to see Lee has done a lot of work upgrading his stuff.

Yes I have some wagons coming my way. two of the bigger General Purpose Wagons and four (yes four) smaller ones. I can't wait to put them together and get them filled with the Ainstey scenery.

The sign from Tricity are just great, they look even better in real life then on my photos. The greatest thing of all is that you can ask for custom signs. They have a standard pack which I ordered but I just needed an Undertaker sign, which turned out beautifully. Good speedy service and very good value for money.
Painting them up was also easy, I darkened them with shoe polish, then drybrushed them with some cheap craft paint (burned umber), then drybrushed them again with brown mixed with white. Then I gave the signs a good black wash with make the letters pop out.

Yesterday I started painting up the Imex cacti I bought on Ebay. http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/review.aspx?id=602.
The cacti are great (the big and small ones), the rest is kind of useless unfortunately (way to small to be of any use). I will use the small cacti for basing the models bases. But still a lot of cacti for a fair amount of money.

Regards,
Za

Offline Tomitchoe

• Assistant
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2012, 10:26:14 AM »

Really cool town! Keep up the good work!
If life is a waste of time... and time a waste of life... then lets all get wasted together but have the time of our lives...