Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:43:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: I got plans for a necro-cyborg raider army...I think.  (Read 4927 times)

Offline palaeomerus

• Scientist
  • " We've Got Movement!"
I got plans for a necro-cyborg raider army...I think.
« on: December 06, 2012, 07:33:12 PM »
I'm hoping to make an ersatz death themed cyborg-atrocitywarband for a post-apocalyptic warband. I haven't bought anything yet, this is just window shopping and idea formation.

I guess he might be controlling some necrons or something else I can thrown in? Or Maybe I can buy some Mantic zombies and glue some machine-bits to them to make them sort of like 40K lobotomized servitors only lurchier?

I'm not sure what to make the bulk of the cannon fodder, robots or corpses turned into robots.

And here's some muscle.

Cavalry for riding their poor victims down.

A couple of all around soldier types. (May be 'skull and blade' enhanced a little later on)

And then THIS guy with a crazy energy gun instead of an axe that has a like a big power hose on it and a backpack...if I can find a good one. Shouldn't be too hard. But he's be a heavy support gunner type.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 07:43:34 PM by palaeomerus »

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
Re: I got plans for a necro-cyborg raider army...I think.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 10:14:29 PM »
The idea has been thrown around elsewhere but these could be useful with some slight conversions.

The Hobbit goblins.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 10:15:25 PM »
I've wanted that top figure for a while now. I haven't got to ordering from anywhere that stocks it for ages though so it's still on the wish list. I'll be keen to see what you do with those zombies. That sounds like a really cool idea.

Offline Chainmailninja

• Bookworm
    • Zed or Alive: The Zombie Miniatures Game
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 12:17:57 AM »
Really love the concept! Reminds me a bit of that movie "Virus" which was equally creepy!

For more models in that theme, you may try to find some of the Doom board game figures.

Offline palaeomerus

• Scientist
  • " We've Got Movement!"
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 04:12:07 AM »
I found these guys who look like they'd fit the mutilated death-cyborg theme nicely if they had a more macabre paint job and their swoop hairdos were snipped off . Kind of pricey though.
£25.00 -> $40. Ouchie.  (Urban Mammoth Syntha dudes)

« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 04:14:12 AM by palaeomerus »

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 04:41:43 PM »
Try looking at http://www.scotiagrendel.com/Products/ and specifically the void and archive mammoth sections - these are previous editions of the same line of miniatures and you may find something in there not too dissimilar.

Syntha does have some nice options for what you are trying to do. Plus they have some nice vehicles.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 04:50:41 PM »
Sorry for the double post, just looked at my collection and realised that some of the Hasslefree aliens might be what you need too -
http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?category=miniatures~sci%252dfi-aliens
Specifically Jotun and Druushan.

Also http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?category=miniatures~undead-%26-mutant
Specifically mutants Joe and Grant.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 08:37:25 PM »
My vote is for the Cryx guys.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 08:39:00 PM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline palaeomerus

• Scientist
  • " We've Got Movement!"
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 11:21:59 PM »
Mcfonz, those hasslefree Jotuns do look pretty nice! Two bulky skullface guys and an iron-jaw guy, all with weapon arms! Sweet!

Unfortunately this project is now temporarily on hold (barring an unexpected windfall)  because I just succumbed to my darker impulses, and spent $70 on 40 plastic GW "Dark Vengeance" chaos cultists from Hoard O' Bits instead. (I already had five of them from a $10 box that I bought along with a $35 Hobbit 'goblins' set.)

That only leaves me around $30 which I have thought of spending on two boxes of Wargames Factory Orks, or the Great Coat Sci-fi Shocktroops. Or I might just get Dr. Totenkranz and spend the remaining $20 on getting myself into a nice afternoon barbecue coma next week.

Hmm. Maybe I could get Totenkranz and a few of the D7D adventurers for $30. I"m not sure yet.

Offline palaeomerus

• Scientist
  • " We've Got Movement!"
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 12:47:43 AM »
Well, I just ordered 03227: Garrett, Adventuring Cleric, 03393: Vistaril Quillscratch, Wizard, (for my Red-Box adventurer D&D project), 50145: Dr. Totenkranz (for my necro-cyborg raiders), and some Bones -> 77004: Cave Troll,  77005: Ogre Chieftain (x 2) , 77009: Werewolf, and 77011: Dwarf Warrior (who would work nicely for D&D redbox project as well).

It came in at $38 and change  with free shipping, and apparently I get free large "Collecta" painted plastic cyclops, and a cerberus figures, due to the '12 days of Reaper' sales event. So that's nice.

So now, I am -$8.something poor as far as my entertainment budget is concerned and sadly there will be no barbecue coma next week. I still like my cyborg death-horde idea though. At least I have Dr. T to start things off. I can always pick up two of the Steamborg executioner early next year and look into those cyber-centaur things then, or just get a box of Mantic zombies and glue bits all over them.

I already have some Mantic Warpath Orx. I built up five of them, so I still have 15 left, although come to think of it two of them might have been shanghaied to make extra GreatAx troops to swap out for the musician and standard bearer, so I might only have 13 left. Yeah making them into mutants might be fun. I think if I added some hoods and a some modern instead of sci-fi weapons that might go a long way.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 03:17:09 AM by palaeomerus »

Offline palaeomerus

• Scientist
  • " We've Got Movement!"
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 03:32:07 AM »
A race might be difficult, in terms of speed, as I am not blessed with such, but if it's more of an arms race it might work.

I just dug out some Monsterpocalypse mole-men monsters that I got for a 15mm project (that is more or less complete except for the scientists in hazmat suits part, I think I am lazy enough to leave the UFO unpainted for now).

Every big monster comes with a transparent version so basically I have extras who are in the large hulking mutilated cyborg category. I'm wondering if I have the courage to saw them up and make them 'more deathier'. I think they don't quite fit as is, though they are more than halfway home. I might lop off their heads and get some GW ogre heads from Hoard O' Bits and replace a drill arm with a gatling gun or a long curved blade or something.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 03:39:23 AM by palaeomerus »

Offline Infojunky

• Bookworm
  • Just another Brain in a Box
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 05:47:45 AM »
If my painting speed was compared to a car it would be a morris minor. Gets up to all of 30mph with a good steep hill behind it.  :D

Seriously it will be like watching 2 glaciers do a race.

Heh, gonna have to steal this discription for myself....

Offline palaeomerus

• Scientist
  • " We've Got Movement!"
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 04:00:01 AM »
So farm I have unimpressively bought the dead guy in the flying chair and some zombies(mantic).

In order to try and get into this I have decided to start it out as a chess set.

Pawns will be zombies with bits glued to them. Flying Chair corpse guy will be the king.

The steam-borg executioner will probably be the queen though I am looking for a new torso that is more queen appropriate due to the presence of boobs. Also I will need to actually order a steam-borg executioner to cut on.

I have no idea about bishops but I suspect I will look for something with a tall helmet and some sort of staff or spear like weapon. Maybe Dark Eldar Hellions with a head swap would be a good start? I like those green goblin gliders they have.

Knights will be the cryx, necro-centaur reaver things. I think I have a way to put gatling guns (harvested from the war-games factory sc-fi great coat heavy weapons sets) on each of their horse flanks to make them scarier.

Rooks will be vaguely "castle like" walking machines which I have the robot legs for. So they just need sponsons and a howdah/cupola like thing on top for the crew (more zombies?).  I might try to find a plastic skull to make the body/fuselage of one of the rooks.

So in total, that's a warband of 16 with a theme which is expandable later on.  

Of course I am still painting those wasteland chaos cultist guys and hobbit-goblin mutants I bought and Sedition Wars just came in so I may just be prevaricative-ly whistling past the graveyard of procrastination. But it's an idea to keep me sort of half in the swamp for now. I'm still dreaming and not doing anything about it though.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 04:16:28 AM by palaeomerus »