Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:19:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Special Characters  (Read 1667 times)

Offline Bergh

• Scientist
Special Characters
« on: December 07, 2012, 08:22:20 AM »
Hi everyone

I have been thinking on including special characters in Strange Aeons, so this is the very early and rough sketch of my idea.
The two movie hero's I have in my mind is Indiana Jones and the guy from "The Mummy" movies. But really any cool character for anywhere could be cool!

This idea is not meant to be taken too seriously, and should be kept as simple and fun as possible.

Please comment with any critic and idea you can think of.

PS: Its not even remotely play-tested  :)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 08:33:13 AM by Bergh »
-Brian Bjerregaard Bergh

Offline Bergh

• Scientist
Re: Special Characters.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 08:26:32 AM »
SPECIAL CHARACTERS FOR STRANGE AEONS

When a Special Character joins your team, its actually more the Threshold team who joins to help in an important mission, or more simply stumble into the path of the Special Character, possible from following the same clues. To represent that this, Special Characters are added to the list after selecting scenario and the Lurker has chosen his team. Then the Threshold player declare that a Special Character is joining in, and the Lurker player select additional Lurkers with the same BP cost as the Special Character, a second pool of BP if you like. The lurker player has to keep his original lurkers.

Special Characters always only play for one scenario at a time, and can't be hired for two games in a row, actually try to keep the use of Special Characters an rare event. And you can't have more then one Special Character in play at anyone time, there ego's are simply too big for any competition to be allowed, even if on the same side.

Special Characters can't be given any extra equipment, weapons or skills for any reasons. Special Characters is counts as a "Character", if any rules take special effect on them.

There is a sequel: when rolling for an injurys a Special Character treat him as a Character, all results other then dead is fully recovered after the game.
If the Special Character dies, then after the scenario (win or lose) He has a special movie hero save of 2+, and gain full recovery if passed.
If not passed, he is dead, and that player may never ever use this Special Character again for his entire life!

True Hero: A Special Character is treated like having the "Heroic" and "Smart" skill, and both skills can be used each turn. In effect a Special Character has 3 action every turn, and is self-activated each turn.
-----------------------------------------------

Dr. Henry Walton "Indiana" Jones, Jr.

BP: 15
M: 5
Dex: 3+
Con: 7
A: 3
W: 3
Res: 2+
Skills: Dodge, Fearless, Lucky, Surefooted, Tough, Read Languages, Martial Artist.
Equipment: .45 handgun, Lucky Hat, Whip.

Special Rules:
It belongs in a museum: All items, lucky idols, scrolls or similar, acquired during or after a scenario is confiscated by Dr.Jones (if he survives), as they belong in a museum! This does not include Map Pieces.
Fear of Snakes: Dr. Jones fear all snakes, in any form actually. Snakemen, large snakes, snake swarms or maybe even eldritch snake idols.
Note: anything "Snake" may not be chosen for the second BP pool of lurkers, as this is to obvious too exploit.
"Nazis. I hate these guys": Dr. Jones hate Nazi's, but as there aren't much Nazi's around outside of Germany pre-WW2, I would say it perfect to say this extends to all Rough threshold personal, so beside Nazi's, Dr. Jones hate the following: Rogue Threshold Character, Rouge Threshold Agent, Henchmen.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 08:31:02 AM by Bergh »

Offline Mathyoo

• Scientist
    • My blog here!
Re: Special Characters
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 11:07:08 AM »
A nice idea as Indiana Jones' movies were and still are my favorite. I do think, however, all the special rules, especially the undying bonuses make him a tad over powered. Then again, you might just use him once in a campaign and you don't need any rolls for injuries at all.  I do love the items and skills you gave him, they really fit!

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 03:05:00 PM »
I looked into this when I was Pulp gaming.  I wanted to do a league of extraordinary gentlemen for the pulp age.  My team consisted of the Shadow, Indiana, Doc Savage, Sam Spade, and the Rocketeer.

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu. Cthulhu never changes.
    • Superfly Circus - Board Games And Social Commentary
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 03:13:48 PM »
I looked into this when I was Pulp gaming.  I wanted to do a league of extraordinary gentlemen for the pulp age.  My team consisted of the Shadow, Indiana, Doc Savage, Sam Spade, and the Rocketeer.

Can't forget Allan Quartermain, Captain Future, The Spider, Zorro, Tarzan... all the great pulp heroes
www.superflycircus.blogspot.com
Board Game Reviews And Social Commentary At Its Finest

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 03:43:32 PM »
I've got the spider but I was working on buying those other miniatures.  Now that I've traded 2 of them to you Pete I may have some trouble. ;)

A Tarzan miniature might look funny in Innsmouth.

I still have the Rocketeer miniature, awesome sculpt.  Im still trying to figure out what to do with him.

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 03:49:41 PM »
You make up a Build Point value for a Jetpack, that's what!

And with a city full of mutant fish-people, a half naked, musclebound ape dude might not be too far fetched :)

Offline smokezombie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 05:35:08 PM »
Don't they already have jet packs in the items for promoted teams.. Experimental equipment?
"The sword sung on the barren heath,
The sickle in the fruitful field;
The sword he sung a song of death,
But could not make the sickle yield."
William Blake

Offline cuchulain23

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 07:07:35 PM »
Smokezombie is correct. There is a Jet Pack in Shocking Tales #1 and on the website Special Branch PDF that you can download.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 07:16:21 PM by cuchulain23 »

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 08:12:48 PM »
I totally forgot about that....we've sadly never gotten to the point of Promotions. Most of our agents and Characters eventually are devoured, detonated, shot, stabbed, bludgeoned, or otherwise eliminated from the planet's supply of oxygen consumers...