Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:21:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691078
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: .45 Encounter Markers Q - different sets for different parties?  (Read 1340 times)

Offline Pulpthulhu

• Bookworm
.45 Encounter Markers Q - different sets for different parties?
« on: December 07, 2012, 02:02:01 PM »
Hi all,

Just downloaded .45 Adventure 2nd edit and have a gameplay Q re encounter markers that I'm hoping some of you veterans can cover off based on your experience?

Q. The rules say create a bunch of markers and place them on the table for all players/parties to access - has anyone played with different sets of markers for different parties?

eg red markers for Herr Flick and his suspiciously Nazi esq flunkies, blue markers for Fats Ferrari and Egyptian thugs?

Thinking this would drive each faction to achieving their goals - perhaps have an additional set of markers that are common for all parties to access and fight over?

Has anyone tried this approach or do you find one common set works well enough?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: .45 Encounter Markers Q - different sets for different parties?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 02:18:06 PM »
These could be stuck on the bottoms of chests, sacks, barrels, bins, etc, whatever is appropriate to the region, this would look better than counters.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline DD-Chris

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 04:51:45 PM »
The problem i see with this, is depending on layout, that players will avoid the other teams markers, and it could keep the action down to a minimum.
what i did was make the tops of all the encounters bright orange, but the underside either green, white, blue, or red.
Depending on the scenario players would need to search the objective, looking for whatever plot device i have out there, perhaps they need 1 of each color, representing clues, or parts of a map etc,
or perhaps they are ONLY seeking their specific color, this keeps players running around, searching, interacting, racing for encounters....

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 09:02:12 AM »
Generally we've done scenarios with common encounter markers that everyone is fighting over, so faction-themed markers really hadn't occurred to me. Could be pretty cool, though!

My encounter markers are 1" wooden hemispheres that I painted silver, and eight or ten of them have numbers on the flat bottom face so I can do keyed encounters easily. They're universal, don't get mistaken for scenery, but one of my "eventually" projects has long been some more environmentally appropriate encounter markers - probably 1" bases with jungle greenery, bits of ruin and such on them, but with the edges of the bases painted red or silver or something so they're not mistaken for terrain.