Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:19:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Rogue Trader Tanks and Space Marine Bikers  (Read 8769 times)

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
Rogue Trader Tanks and Space Marine Bikers
« on: December 08, 2012, 03:36:29 PM »
Hello Adventurers, over a year ago I entered a couple of Rogue Trader Space Marine Bikers and Tanks into the Lead Painters' League number five. The title was "Rock Hard, Ride Free" and this was the entry:

(link: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=28846.0)

Now, I had painted three tanks rather than two and took some additional pictures which I would like to share with you :)

First a bit of background, my Space Marines are a chapter of my own devising, the Devastation Angels. Their uniform is green with white like so:

However, for variety's sake I have decided my Space Marines take their uniform regulations lightly so I painted up some in camouflage as well, like so:

For my Space Marine bikers, the Hell Patrol, I chose to do things differently. They are bikers so I figured black clothing suits them much better than green and white. Of course this translated to black armour all over in this case. I figured the bikers would cherish their bikes so I gave each bike a custom paint job. Incidentally, the black armour doesn't interfere with the bike's custom paint jobs, and is quicker to paint. To keep them a recognisable part of my force their helmets are still standard issue.

The sergeant comes first. His bike has a custom metallic blue coat with a fish bone theme. I carried over the custom paint job into his power fist and shoulder pad. His right greave says "HELL PATROL" and his left greave marks his rank as a sergeant (as the right shoulder pad was unavailable for this). The buzzsaw is the symbol of my chapter.

My second biker has retained much of the colours of my chapter but made them a bit flashier. The green fades to white on the top of the bike and the buzz saw motive is carried over in the wheel guards. I finished his right shoulder pad in style. His left greave says "Rock Hard, Ride Free".

The final biker has a classic black with flame motive, after all, he carries a flamer. His custom paintjob extends also to his greaves and feet, and of course his right shoulder pad, where the buzz saw is also featured again.

Besides bikes I also painted a couple of tanks. There is a Whirlwind conversion based on templates from White Dwarf 117, an original Predator (minus the sponsons) and a Vindicator conversion based on templates from White Dwarf 118.

This is the whirlwind conversion, I built it and painted it according to a camouflage scheme for ammonium based salt plains from the Warhammer 40,000 Compendium (page 79). I also added a bike rider/rhino crew model. Since there was no room for a backpack I gave the model the back of a Space Marine devastator model, whom also don't carry backpacks.

According to the 40k Compendium this camouflage scheme was used on the assault on Tsunami Reef. Of which a reference is made on the front:

R.I.P.
Battle Brothers
Tsunami Reef 945.M41

The predator is more or less a standard model as it came from the box. However, a lot of these tanks are old and beat up and broken when you buy them. Common flaws are missing/broken hand rails, grab handles and aerials and broken exhausts. This predator suffered from everything and also had it's barrel missing. I made the barrel from plastic tubing which I also used to fix the exhausts. Then I added hand rails and aerials from wire. You can see all these tanks got this treatment.

I didn't refer to Tsunami Reef on this tank but I did write "Balls 2 the wall" on the turret.

The Predator kit comes with a really cool front (or rear) plate. This one was stuck in place and I couldn't remove it so I left it as it was. It doesn't look much out of place here either.

The Vindicator is a bit more work than the Whirlwind to convert but I really like the look. This one was missing the aerials alltogether so I made them from bits of sprue and wire. You can see I also cut out the 'mesh' on the tracks and replaced it with real mesh. This gives the tracks a heavier feel which fits the tank. The barrel says "Hot for love".

Another Tsunami Reef reference, this one says:

Tsunami Reef 945.M41
"Hungry for heaven"

Well, I hope you liked the pictures, I definitely enjoyed building and painting these tanks and bikers, and in the future I plan to add more of course 8)
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
Re: Rogue Trader Tanks and Space Marine Bikers
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 03:51:37 PM »
 :-*

(wot I said on Frothers)
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 03:53:04 PM »
Wonderful!  Awesome to see so much rouge trader goodness in one spot!  

I could go on and on...but suffice to say...this pics make me want to come for a game!

Cheers,

Blue
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 12:59:10 PM by Blue in vt »
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 04:19:02 PM »
More old school goodness  8)

I really liked the camo in the compendium and you've done a great job.

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline ork56

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 06:16:53 PM »
takes me back.... a loooong time.

great to see these and perfectly in character.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 07:25:38 PM »
I've just got a load of squat and RTB marines for some RT goodness along side my RT era Harlequin project, so it's great seeing your stuff and seeing it done very well.
More please!
Duncan

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 10:20:02 PM »
Very lovely!  :-*

But the rhino crew marine actually came with that back and is not added back from a devastator. I just went into my sanctuary and took a look at an unpainted one to make sure.

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 11:15:31 PM »
Haha very lovely - quaint even.  :-*

You seem to be able to get the 80's vibe going really strong. A lot of people painting these old things aren't near that. You're doing it right!  lol

Seems old school people are getting more and more serious. Now almost even with foot notes and page references!
What's next? A thesis or treatise?!  lol
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 11:24:12 PM »
I think I will have a go at the vindicator conversion too, I have a vindicator on that old chasis, but it is not really oldschool enough as it is.

Edit: I meant whirlwind, not vindicator.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 12:35:17 AM by Jonas »

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 12:34:26 AM »
Very lovely!  :-*

But the rhino crew marine actually came with that back and is not added back from a devastator. I just went into my sanctuary and took a look at an unpainted one to make sure.

Yup had to agree, have the same crewman in my own scratch built Dark Angel Whirlwnd.
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 12:41:34 AM »
Cracking work,love the cam. :-*
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 01:40:03 AM »
Yup had to agree, have the same crewman in my own scratch built Dark Angel Whirlwnd.

Yes, you are both completely right of course. I added this back to a plastic beakie which served as a crewman for my Field Police Rhino, which is where my confusion set in. You can see the crewman (but not his back) in this picture:

Thanks all for the positive comments!

Seems old school people are getting more and more serious. Now almost even with foot notes and page references!
What's next? A thesis or treatise?!  lol

I added the page reference because the colour scheme is featured twice in the Compendium, on the Rhino's on page 79 and on Land Raiders on page 117. The colour scheme on the Land Raider ("Codex approved cobalt/ammonium desert camouflage") is a lot more bright and not really how my models turned out in the end 8)

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 01:48:42 AM »
Any chance of a group shot of the complete army? :)

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
    • War In A Box - New Location!
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 08:05:54 AM »
You know, the latest models get me to think "those look cool".  But your models?  They look like FUN.  I wanna play that game just because you make it look like a great time.

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 08:16:36 AM »
Looking good.

Thanks for posting the images.

Tony