Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 10:47:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689787
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vanvlak's Mug  (Read 4125 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Vanvlak's Mug
« on: December 09, 2012, 06:04:08 PM »
No, I don't mean my face.

Whilst having my fakespresso coffee (2 tbsp instant coffee in one eighth the depth of the mug boiling water) this afternoon I realised that next year it (the mug, not the coffee) will be 10 years old. It commemorates the 2003 National (Malta) tournament of Warhammer and 40K.

This means that I last entered a tourney almost 10 years ago, and since then my gaming, modelling and painting has been in steady decline. Nil games this year; nil models purchased (but my wife bought me some interesting models for my birthday).
Mainly, it's because of work, which has taken over all my spare time. My wife was heard to complain I only talk about work, and I'm working (from home) most weekends as well. She was actually relieved when I mentioned models again, so I guess it's time for some therapy.
And this is it: besides the factory and the build-something entry I am posting about elsewhere on the forum, I'll keep track of what I do over here, and try to make myself enjoy one of the finer things in life - modelling - a bit more.
Your job is to badger me into working - please.

If the wash dries on the model I'm trying to complete today I'll post a pic later - but it's unlikely, humidity is very high. 

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: Vanvlak's Mug
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 07:05:23 PM »
Really? You have a standing invitation to visit, then.  :D

Mini competition - oh dear oh dear oh dear.
I'll never make it.
Still..... I'm a sucker for punishment.
Assuming that I re-call the period/scale if you don't have anything suitable, I can give it a try - but this will be mostly weekend based for me.

I scouted around LAF to see what you're into, and found anything from the Bronze Age though VSF to WWII Mosquitoes.... good grief! Your intro was useful... so here goes - an easy one (I hope) (assuming I own whatever takes your fancy):
VSF 25 or 28mm

Malta is one of my favourite places. I love going there.

Let's have a mini competition....? One tank, one unit of 8-10 figs, one plane, one house/cottage/earthwork. One THING

You do one. I do one. We post. You win (but at least your logjam is unblocked). So you choose a scale and period, and I will choose the item. Are you on Vanvlak?

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 07:28:46 PM »
9th January it is, and no early posts.
Don't be so confident about not winning.
Judging - as long as Prof doesn't mind, sure.
So: your call for the subject model/s.

VSF 25/28mm is perfect ;) Great choice!

Let's say one month from now ....9th January? If we finish before we will hold off posting until close to that time so we do not have undue pressure.

I have no doubt you will win (I have seen your work and it is consistently superb) but in the interests of fairness shall I ask the Prof to adjudicate? In the circumstances I am sure he will be happy to be referee. I am looking forward to this.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 09:22:05 PM »
Fine by me - except that I've no idea what to use as crew. Yet.
Will start digging for models in the dungeon.

It DOES seem appropriate that this campaign begins with a long range artillery bombardment.
The game's afoot!

Some sort of cannon or device that emits/ejects /beams an emission that injures an opponent.

So a Tesla Electriferous Ray Gun, a Faraday Inductance Emitter, a Galvanic Generator Gun, a Newtonian Phase Enhancing Light Cannon....

something like that? and it must have a crew of at least 4 figures.

Motive power is entirely up to you. Part of the build or a tractor unit (which is not scored) but you may want to include. It might be a Self Propelled Gauss Etherion Howitzer.

Are you happy with that buddy? Does it get the juices flowing...?

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 09:13:16 AM »
Well after the build something contest there is the LPL. Even if I don't enter I try to keep up and paint a team every week. Some thing to keep me motivated to get myself in front of my painting table.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 08:08:54 PM »
Fine by me Bezzo - crew dug out of the dungeon so far.

HerbyF - I did manage one edition of LPL, but the rate of x models a week is far too much for me due to my current job - this should be a far more relaxed sort of affair, two different takes on the same theme. Hope it will prove interesting.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 07:15:38 AM »
Update.

Mugworks: one old GW dryad (a metal one) being finished - or rather, 'improved' from what had passed for finished a couple of years back - for my wastes elf variation on the wood elf theme. 'Mugshot' soon.

Doubles project: I wonder how Bezzo is getting on. I have solved my greatest problem (after finding the crew), namely late 19th century wheels.
I am now having trouble fitting my original ideas for this around the wheels I found. This is getting interesting, and could lead to some future investment.
Can't give away more as the - ah - revelation of this project is planned for the 9th of January.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 06:31:03 AM »
That's brilliant - if I hid my crewmen I wouldn't have to paint them would I?  ;)
The gun is done - well, almost, still needs some painting and details.
The crew - well  they are based...

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 06:06:26 PM »
Painting eyeballs for the gun crew.

In the meantime I managed to complete 3 6mm scale Eldar fliers - VERY colourful stuff.
Have to make a photoshoot of the VSF gun + crew when done, together with these chaps and the factory mentioned in its own thread. And I got the 'build something' model done too. Much better than my usual rate of progress - but I did manage a couple of days off, hence the output.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 04:28:55 PM »
That smoke stack is not perpendicular!!!!!!!
Are you sure? Could be the camera angle.
Meanwhile, I typically omitted to take WIP pics....  :?

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 04:08:51 AM »
Make sure there are plenty of rivets!

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.