Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:12:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690985
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mierce Miniatures Cthulhu/Godling stand-in  (Read 4433 times)

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
Mierce Miniatures Cthulhu/Godling stand-in
« on: December 12, 2012, 02:34:32 PM »
Mierce, (formerly Banelords/legions) have produced a nice possible mini that could represent Old Squidley or his representative, given the price, (£70 or so) I'm assuming its up there with their other large figures, so, along with the excellent sculpt, doesn't make it too pricey, what do you think?

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Re: Mierce Miniatures Cthulhu/Godling stand-in
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 03:01:17 PM »
I'm not convinced by it. Excellent sculpting work, no doubts, but...too much dynamism, too much muscles, too much fantasy. I doesn't fit my imagination of Lovecraft's Cthulhu at all. This one looks like one of the numerous common demons out there, this time with tentacles and anchor instead of sword.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 03:16:30 PM »
yeah, chtulu doesn't fight. He usually tend to piss you off. :D
well, that's a great figure for a giant-badass-calamari, and i quite love the dinamism! I think it worths the prices, even though i'm not into beasts at all... :)

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu. Cthulhu never changes.
    • Superfly Circus - Board Games And Social Commentary
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 03:24:14 PM »
He's too expensive, for sure, and I'm with Prof. W....too much dynamism. It's a really busy model.

In March/April when these are shipped out to we who kickstarted it, this model will be available on the Reaper site for right around 30$ I reckon. Much better alternative to 70 quid!
www.superflycircus.blogspot.com
Board Game Reviews And Social Commentary At Its Finest

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 05:33:18 PM »
I think the anchor is a cool idea.  Sort of like Cthulhu is rising from the water.

There are a lot of fiddely bits :D

How would you transport something like that around.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 06:57:02 AM »
Presumably it's what you call a collector's miniature. In other words, something to kept in a shelf behind a glass door, far away from the slippery mitts of the butterfingered gamers 8)

---

I doesn't fit my imagination of Lovecraft's Cthulhu at all
Agreed. Doesn't say HPL to me either, despite the tentacles.

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 11:12:08 AM »
"Cover everything with tentacles" wasn't the point of original mythos either. It's a Japanese fetish and nowadays the laziest form of attempted horror out there. Who came up with this idea of tentacle-spamming instead of unseen, outré concepts and deranged anti-heroes?

Anyway, this isn't really marketed as HPL or Cthulhu, although it might be inspired by those among other things such as walktopuses and kraken. Not their mistake if it doesn't look like canonical C. I think this is more physical than cosmic being, fighting with a rusty anchor and all.

I find most walktopus-concepts, where beefy human limbs are combined with floppy tentacles, quite implausible. I know already ancient peoples came up with unlikely combinations of creatures in their mythology, but I find myself wondering if the anatomy works at all. That said, it's a fun sculpt and could work for assorted "something deeply wrong at the coast" scenarios. I might even get one. However, there are other resin kits on the workbench, and Mierce really should answer certain financial questions first...but let's not go into that.

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 11:13:22 PM »
It's like the unholy love child of Cthulhu and Conan.  Who knows, had Bob Howard lived to a ripe old age and taken on the HPL legacy rather than Derleth, this might look "normal" to us.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 07:54:51 AM »
Ugh...what a terrible miniature...nope, terrible stand-in for Cthulhu.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 03:12:31 PM »
I see that a lot of people are a little iffy on the 'too humanoid' nature of the model & to degree I agree, but as it stands, extant minis representing Cthulhu or one of his minions are all 'humanoid' (Reaper's, Heroclix & Sato Toys examples to name but a few). I'm personally looking forward to the Reaper Bones mini's release, but it is just as humanoid as the Mierce one (plus it has a tail which somehow doesn't seem right). In fact the only version which seems to have some of the other-worldliness of HPL's descriptions is the rather venerable RAMF one, though it too has its drawbacks (the spindly limbs just don't look right, though the head & torso are great, tentacles are present without the 'someones just plonked an octopus on top' look).
 It would be good to see a Cthulhuesque mini that genuinely did appear otherworldly, not something that looked as if it could have possibly evolved on Earth, any one want to have a go?     

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 09:11:18 PM »
I'll do it. Been meaning to do exactly that for literally years. Keep making concept sketches, but have never quite gotten off my duff and started sculpting. Now's as good as ever to commit, so expect a WIP thread before week's end.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline Paleskin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 09:26:57 PM »
Looks like it should be a plastic pre paint toy in a huge box,not doing it for me to be honest

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 09:46:26 PM »
Minis alright but mierce/maelstrom games won't be getting my money!

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 09:57:38 PM »
How big is that anchor?

To put it another way, how small is that squid-headed body-builder?

The anchor is the same size as the beast. That's the figurehead from a viking ship, I suppose, loosely based on the Osbjerg ship, behind him, I think. Knowing more or less the size of those, he's only 6-8 feet tall or there abouts. So if it's more than about 40mm then it's the wrong scale.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 10:06:40 PM by Red Orc »