Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:30:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dragon Age lookalike Minis  (Read 2896 times)

Offline assi

• Scientist
Dragon Age lookalike Minis
« on: December 13, 2012, 07:21:55 AM »
Hi,

we are going to give the Dragon RPG a try and I'm currently looking for Minis that could used to play with or to be used as a conversion starting point.

Some of the more generic DA Stuff is easy: Skeletons, Wolfs, Giant Spiders, Elfs with bows and Dwarfs with heavy Armour and Beards.

But, especially in case of the Darkspawn, it gets tricky when you'll turn to the stuff that gives DA it's own Feeling:

Hurlocks

Genlocks

"Ogers"

Shrieks

I already checked and am still checking the usualy Suspects, but I'm thankful for every hint.

regards
Florian
Oh sure. Everybody's in favor of saving Hitler's brain, but when you put it in the body of a Great White Shark, ooh, suddenly you've gone too far

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Dragon Age lookalike Minis
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 07:29:36 AM »
Genlocks might be good with a dwarf mini headswapped with a LOTR orc or something like that.
For that first Hurlock I'd probably, again, headswap with some sort of nosferatu/batlike creature or perhaps a quite humanlike lizardman
I remember someone on the fourm of doom coming up with an awesome way to convert an ogre head for this. I though t it was using a beast mini from Avatars of War but I couldn't find it.

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 09:52:23 AM »
I think I would also use GW Lord of the Rings as the start point for conversions.
They are often on Ebay.

The Hurlocks may be possible with the GW LOTR Morannnon Orcs in metal or plastic.

The Oger in the top pose looks a  bit like the GW LOTR Mordor Troll Captain.
You would need to add some greenstuff to the head to get those tentacle / horn thingies.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 09:54:07 AM by Mick_in_Switzerland »

Offline assi

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 07:20:28 PM »
I thought about using LOTR Minis, but the're 25mm and that would mean that f.e. Reaper Minis look too big. I already have a stash of 28/heroic Minis that from our DnD Sessions.

Regarding the headswap: I agree, Dwarfs and Humans with other heads could do the trick. Humans with GW Zombie Heads and Dwarfs with (edited) Goblinheads. Problem with Dwarfs are their beards, most of the bodies front is coverd with beard and needs to cut off and be resculpted.
Humans are easier, due to missing beards, but I'm still looking too where I can find something usefull. There is some perry wotr stuff laying around in my bitzbox, but, again, 25mm.

25mm Dwarfs and Humans from Lotr are fine, but the DA elves also dont look like tolkin elfes at all :/

Offline assi

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 07:41:10 PM »
the Troll /Oger conversion on the orher Hand sounds like a fun project!

...and after some talking to my wife I'm getting tempted to build a second / 25mm stash and use some of my historical perry and ebob stuff.

Offline assi

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 10:19:10 AM »
next Question:
Are there any other 25mm Fantasy Mini Ranges?

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 06:04:09 PM »
Have you looked at Mantic?
28mm plastic rasther than 25mm

http://www.manticgames.com/Shop-Home/Special-Offers.html

The zombies and ghouls are quite versatile figures - if you add tissue paper cloaks, armour & shields they're easy to convert.

Otherwise, how about Minifigs? Now available from Caliver Books.
They used to have an extensive range of 25mm fantasy, but only a few figures are still in production.
http://www.miniaturefigurines.co.uk/Catalogue.aspx?ScaleID=3&CategoryID=35&SubCategoryID=202
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline assi

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 12:53:44 PM »
I have heard that rumor too, but after checking with some mantic and lotr dwarfs I foind out that mantic is not as uberheroic big as GW, but it is still to big to look good when mixed with the Lotr/Truescale 25mm

On the topic of do it yourself:

I never liked the look of gondorian arms man, so I butcherd one to build a templar:

far from perfect and I found out that my 10 y/o green stuff has gone bad, but imho a nice First try

Offline Bloodsbane

• Scientist
  • AKA FKSN
    • I'm a drawer
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 03:40:04 PM »

Offline assi

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 03:54:31 PM »
oh yeah, great idea. :)

Although, I'll go wirh the new The Hobbit Hunter Orks, not perfect but close enough. :)