Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:59:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Liberty Bell Hotel ~ a work in progress  (Read 3387 times)

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
The Liberty Bell Hotel ~ a work in progress
« on: December 14, 2012, 11:46:28 AM »
I've been slowly assembling my latest addition to New Paddock City, the Liberty Bell Hotel. Its the large 'Palace Hotel' kit from Battleflag. Inspired by earlier posts, I've made an attempt at Wallpaper!!! I plan to add curtains and also to paint the furniure in time.

A General view ~ its a large and complex kit, but the instructions are clear, logical and idot proof!

I'll try to Blog about it later!
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: The Liberty Bell Hotel ~ a work in progress
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 11:59:25 AM »
Splendid stuff, it's certainly large and very impressive.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »
Great work! This is now the last thread to convince me to try some Battleflag kits myself. They seem to be the best looking and most detailed buildings around the lasercut kit market. Yes, I will ...  :-* ;D

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 06:28:08 PM »
Do you get the internal walls for it or do you have to make those yourself?

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 07:22:02 PM »
Do you get the internal walls for it or do you have to make those yourself?
No internal walls are available, as yet. It would be very fiddly infact with them, hence I add the furniture to delineate 'room' spaces. I shall colour the floors later, leaving the 'wall outlines' in the original colour ~ you can see this on my Bordello on my Blog.
David

Offline Tomitchoe

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 08:38:24 PM »

Great stuff again. looking forward to seeing the final product... !!!  :)
If life is a waste of time... and time a waste of life... then lets all get wasted together but have the time of our lives...

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 02:00:04 AM »
Looks fantastic...that's the one thing I don't have - a big "centerpiece" sized item.  I'm debating between a full on saloon, or a hotel...or both.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 07:57:12 AM »
Looks fantastic...that's the one thing I don't have - a big "centerpiece" sized item.  I'm debating between a full on saloon, or a hotel...or both.
Both seems like the right option to me! :D

Online Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 02:51:31 PM »
Nice work  :) :)

Has anyone done a comparison on all these laser cut and resin buildings for Old West?

I ask as a friend has Old Glory, ERT Cowtown, Plasticville, Sarissa and now Battle Flag but says the Battle Flag are much smaller than the others.
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 07:08:11 PM »
Has anyone done a comparison on all these laser cut and resin buildings for Old West?
I ask as a friend has Old Glory, ERT Cowtown, Plasticville, Sarissa and now Battle Flag but says the Battle Flag are much smaller than the others.

Can't help, I'm afraid. Only bought Battleflag as I could n't see any sense in buying what looked like inferior products by comparison.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 12:08:41 AM »
Owned several from several companies.

Sarissa Precision: Phenomenal quality.  Excellent materials and perfect laser work.  Their latest offerings are much more interesting than their original line of buildings which I have.  Stuff like their Cantinas etc. look marvelous.  Their prices have gone up significantly though.

Tri-City Laser: Excellent prices, and he does interior walls on most of his buildings, including some furniture etc.  I don't like that he uses wood over MDF personally (MDF takes paint easier, and is generally darker, and when mixed with laser cut stuff is more natural looking sans paint).

Gamecraft: I've only seen these, but don't own them.  They're a nice "build yourself" budget option.  If you want a real cheap alternative these look great.  They do a lot of excellent budget accessories too.  Fences, furniture, etc.  You have to put more money in to buy extra floors, etc.

4Ground: While they don't do Old West stuff, they are easily my favorite.  Their laser work is unrivaled.  Beautiful work, beautiful details, finish and materials.  Really top notch.  They're much more complex to build (they go nuts designing the stuff, so even a simple wagon consists of dozens of pieces) - the end result is phenomenal.

Battle Flag looks great, but I'd say they're on par with Sarissa easily.  They do larger, more elaborate pieces...with larger, more elaborate prices.  As they only make a handful of buildings, they'd be nice centerpieces, but a full town would become quite expensive.

Best solution?  Mix em all.  No point in restricting yourself.

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 08:45:35 AM »
That's a useful and interesting post, Elbows. But, to my mind the products of Sarissa and Gamecraft are positively crude by comparison to Battleflag, whose detailing is fine and delicate. But, as your post shows, its clearly horses for courses, as it always is with gamers! I examined the whole Sarissa range at Derby Worlds but was n't tempted. Gamecraft I've only seen on posts here and there, but they look very simple kits. Tri City Laser I'll pass on as I've not seen any, while Foreground are OK but not for Western Towns. Ideally I'd like a few more of the HGWalls kits, but they seem long gone ~ although Herb did say to me that he still had the files.
David

Offline Skunkape

• Bookworm
    • http://www.johnprime.com/games.php
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 05:41:08 PM »
The wall paper adds something special to the piece. I'm sure the curtains will make it that much better! Very nicely done! :)
Skunk

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall

Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 10:48:09 PM »
I see very little difference in the designs of the Battle Flag and Sarissa kits.  I think you get a little bit more for your money with the Battle Flag kits (for the same price), and I think they have some nice big pieces too.  I see things like additional latice/cornice work on the Battle Flag buildings.  The big hotels etc. are up to 100 pounds though, which is pretty damned pricey!

^The "basic" Battle Flag buildings look identical to Sarissa to me. (and priced nearly identical).

I'd definitely pick up Battle Flag buildings, but I wouldn't shy away from Sarissa stuff.  Now Gamecraft is quite...sparce by comparison to the other companies, but they're also 50% the cost.  So if you wanted to build the entire town of Tombstone...you'd spend thousands of quid doing it with a company like Battle Flag or Sarissa...but it could be done cheaply with something like Gamecraft models.

I'm almost glad 4Ground doesn't do Old West stuff as their kits are simply stunning (and I'd be driven to buy some!) by comparison to all of the above.

Online Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 11:43:40 PM »
Thanks for the comparison Elbows, I will advise my friend of your post.