Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:13:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New Rick Priestley game - Beyond the Gates of Antares  (Read 53743 times)

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
Re: New Rick Priestley game - Beyond the Gates of Antares
« Reply #255 on: April 06, 2014, 01:32:41 PM »
To point out a few more derpy bits:

In English, you normally use the word "graceful" rather than "gracile", and even then the whole quoted sentence is just awkward and ungainly when you read it.

No, "gracile" is correct. Although it can mean "graceful," it more commonly means "fine-boned and slender," which is what it means in the context here -- the sentence is saying that these guys are slim and delicate compared to more robust normal humans. Although it's a very rare word in everyday speech, it's something you hear a lot in osteoarchaeology.

I'm not saying it's a good word choice, but it's not a synonym for "graceful" -- it has a specific meaning related to body shape.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #256 on: April 06, 2014, 02:13:00 PM »
Although it's a very rare word in everyday speech, it's something you hear a lot in osteoarchaeology.

And palaeontology. :)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 02:18:08 PM by Vermis »

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #257 on: April 06, 2014, 11:05:17 PM »
No, "gracile" is correct. Although it can mean "graceful," it more commonly means "fine-boned and slender," which is what it means in the context here -- the sentence is saying that these guys are slim and delicate compared to more robust normal humans. Although it's a very rare word in everyday speech, it's something you hear a lot in osteoarchaeology.

I'm not saying it's a good word choice, but it's not a synonym for "graceful" -- it has a specific meaning related to body shape.

I know that - it's a Latin-root word... Hence my use of the word "normally".

It still reads in a difficult manner to the majority of people, and "graceful" is a more usual word. Frankly, if their physical aspect is of such importance to their game imagery, I'd have expected them to expound a little more on it rather than use an unusual (and generally technical) word.