Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:11:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: messing about with Corporation Marines  (Read 3181 times)

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
messing about with Corporation Marines
« on: December 19, 2012, 04:17:11 PM »
Am looking at getting some Corporation Marines to play about with, but lack of options with arms and what not is a wee stumbling block...

can anyone suggest a suitable source of similarly attired arms that would work with them?

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
Re: messing about with Corporation Marines
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 05:17:22 PM »
Didn't em4 do loose arms for upgrading Combat Zone troopers?
Don't know if they would fit the style, or even be a suitable size, but at least you could just buy arms.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 05:58:59 PM »
Which corporation marines are these? If they're copplestone/EM4 then as fastrolfrus said the extra arms for the combat zone plastic minis ought to work and are available to buy as separate parts from EM4.
Otherwise try some of the old Void plastics, they might work well enough.

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 06:07:37 PM »
Which corporation marines are these?

Mantic...  :D

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 11:09:19 PM »

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 12:32:42 PM »
Hmm, tricky one. You're unlikely to find anything of a similar design. They're smaller than GW Imperial Guard so that won't work, though if you found a stash of the old Rogue Trader era plastic Guard arms that be suitable, or the old plastic Eldar arms for something more high tech. Other than that, maybe arms from one of the plastic WW2 sets from Warlord or Wargames Factory?

Do you need heads for you marines, AEG? I ask because I've got 19 marines I can send you minus the heads (as I want to use them for something else). Trying to de-clutter so you're welcome to them for the cost of the postage. :)

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 12:39:03 PM »
If the arms are separate, it will make conversion pretty simple (especially because of the restic material) so all you would need to do is find weapons you like and I would always recommend Hasslefree Miniatures for future weapons.

Chop off existing weapons, pin and glue new ones, attach arms and everything is cool :)

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 01:13:59 PM »
Do you need heads for you marines, AEG? I ask because I've got 19 marines I can send you minus the heads (as I want to use them for something else). Trying to de-clutter so you're welcome to them for the cost of the postage. :)

oooo, very generous : )

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 01:15:18 PM »
If the arms are separate, it will make conversion pretty simple (especially because of the restic material) so all you would need to do is find weapons you like and I would always recommend Hasslefree Miniatures for future weapons.

Chop off existing weapons, pin and glue new ones, attach arms and everything is cool :)

the only downside there is that a lot of the arm is joined to the stock of the gun, but good call on HF guns... hadn't thought of them...

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 01:20:20 PM »
on some of the pics, it looks like the arms have been fixed too low to me...

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 01:26:39 PM »
on some of the pics, it looks like the arms have been fixed too low to me...

Yup, the wee nubs the arms glue on to are too low. The arms attach in a completely different way on the finished models compared to the greens and things went wrong somewhere down the line. Mind you, the Ranger arms still look very odd.

I cut the nubs off on the one figure I assembled and attached the arms higher. Looked much nicer. I also lopped the end of the rifle off and added a wire barrel that improved the guns IMO.

Pic here: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-auGybsTZYJY/UMsTxb-dPxI/AAAAAAAAAh4/bmqxyYxOfOo/s1600/statuecomp.jpg

Offline dwartist

• Mastermind
    • DWARTIST'S PAINTING BLOG
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 01:46:49 PM »
The basic troopers and Enforcers (I have both) are very nicely detailed and cast - the anaotomy is fine if your prepared to do a little work (like Andrew) but I don't like the material they're cast in - I find it difficult to remove mould lines cleanly. My Enforcers arrived with faulty waist lines and though I said on the blog at the time it would be easy to remedy or hide I can't bring myself to bother (and Mantic never responded to an email I sent them).
In terms of arm replacements...I've just tried some Forgeworld Elysian Drop Troopers arms and they look pretty good.