Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:55:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691095
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 862
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sedition Wars Kickstaters shipping soon!  (Read 15651 times)

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
Re: Sedition Wars Kickstaters shipping soon!
« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2013, 10:48:34 AM »
The all-plastic glue I have doesn't come with a brush and looks like a regular plastic glue when it comes out of the tube...

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2013, 10:58:57 AM »
Ah, well this stuff's really thin. To use it, you hold the surfaces tightly together and then dab the joint with the stuff. It's so thin, it seeps into the contact points and joins them. It sticks just like polystyrene cement sticks Airfix/GW plastics.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2013, 11:30:26 AM »
I've had that kind of stuff too once upon a time when I had the energy to build real miniatures instead of gaming pieces. I don't think I've ever thought of using it to smooth out filed plastic in the latter.

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #108 on: January 31, 2013, 01:39:29 PM »
I finally got my set yesterday.
After having a good look at it, I can only say that if I'd have seen the quality of the figs before I paid up, I wouldn't have bothered.
I also have the problems mentioned of misprinted counters, but as I couldn't give a shit about the game itself it doesn't bother me.
However the figs are all on the soft side and are a pain in the arse to clean up.
While they're are also a pain to clean up, the Zombiecide figs are better detailed IMHO.
I expected better from StudioMcvey to be honest.
No more spending on Kickstarter Vapourware for me. You can have my cash once I can see the quality of your product, not before.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #109 on: January 31, 2013, 02:19:19 PM »
After having a good look at it, I can only say that if I'd have seen the quality of the figs before I paid up, I wouldn't have bothered.
I also have the problems mentioned of misprinted counters, but as I couldn't give a shit about the game itself it doesn't bother me.
However the figs are all on the soft side and are a pain in the arse to clean up.
While they're are also a pain to clean up, the Zombiecide figs are better detailed IMHO.
No more spending on Kickstarter Vapourware for me. You can have my cash once I can see the quality of your product, not before.

I've been cleaning some figs and yes, it is timeconsuming. Also I found that after priming (with white) I could more easily locate and remove those pieces of flash I overlooked.
Which means another coat of primer afterwards   :-[
I'll have to paint some up before I can say the Zombicide are better detailed. What I find more important is the fact that I could start playing zombicide after unpacking. Sure, it was said that there would be some assembling necessary with Sedition wars, but I didn't count on it taking so much time (one friend who received his box and isn't that into painting just glued 'em without cleanning after seeing the quality)
As for Studio Mcvey, I think their sculpts are great. It's the casting that sucks and I don't know if that's their doing or CMON's  :?
Nevertheless, I too will have a very long thinking session before joining in on another KS project.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #110 on: January 31, 2013, 05:29:34 PM »
While it has nothing to do with the quality of the figures in my Sedition Wars box, I'm unlikely to be backing any mini-related crowd funding efforts for quite some time. I still have a mountain of stuff on the way (Reaper's stuff in March, Judge Dredd, Dreadball and way too much other stuff). Realistically I likely have way more figures than I can paint in the next 5 years. Of course I'm sure I'll still buy stuff in small amounts at me local shops or online...but the large volume, sight-unseen purchases are done for me. I simply can't handle the volume any more!

And my bank account will thank me I'm sure.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #111 on: February 01, 2013, 09:28:11 PM »

I have to say I'm seriously tempted to request a refund for reasons stated above.  :?
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #112 on: February 03, 2013, 11:01:09 PM »
I'm pleased with what I have.   They are a unbearable to clean, but I've decided to not spend too much time on them.  If they have a mold line or two, I'm not going to fret, as I think of them as just board game pieces.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #113 on: February 04, 2013, 07:25:50 AM »
I was torn I didn't get in on this...but now I'm not so sad about it.  Shame.  So it's turned into just a "better than average" board game?

Shame.  Such cool ideas in that kickstarter.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #114 on: February 04, 2013, 07:33:36 AM »
Two guys at my club each bought a set, one of them bought the additional "glow in the dark" minis as well. I only took a brief look at the stuff, the plastic minis looked OK, the resin glow in the dark a bit less so. The real downer for me was the boards that were printed on thin cardstock that was warped to hell and looked abysmal. I don't know if it has to do with air humidity or something but a high quality game should have used thicker cardstock or another material for the boards...

From what I heard after they had tried it out they said the rules were fairly easy but compared to boardgames such as Descent 2nd edition in terms of special rules and stuff you can do.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #115 on: February 04, 2013, 08:25:31 AM »
I was torn I didn't get in on this...but now I'm not so sad about it.  Shame.  So it's turned into just a "better than average" board game?

Shame.  Such cool ideas in that kickstarter.

Opinions are mixed, and it seems that they are srtongly influenced by what various folks were expecting rather than by what they got (... I mean, more than usual!).

The cardstock issues are well-documented and for a board game, quite unforgivable IMO.

The boards could have been a bit brighter, especially so that you can see what you're doing if you turn the room lights down to a "soft" level for that full horror-game-feeling. The linen finish of the tiles is nice though.

The rulebook could also have been printed on something less flimsy, and a couple of cards from the deck with summaries for each faction would have been super-helpful.

The game itself seems fine mechanics-wise, though from looking at the forum there does appear to be a few tweaks/rules queries. Nothing new for most modern Armerican/FF-style games though.

Models-wise the game provides a lot, and they are very nice. Folks expecting figure quality along the lines of the McVey resins/metals however must be smoking something strong! Despite all the shirt-tearing love-professing plastic-lovers out there giving plastic figs the kind of promotion that might border on fanatical devotion, plastic figures have some pretty serious limitations in terms of sharpness, detail and undercuts. Since the majority of figures were always going to be 1 or 2-peice copies of the McVey resins, there was always going to be loss of detail and inappropriate and heavy mouldline issues. I think that given what they did, the models came out surprisingly well. I also think that the designs and sculpt proportions are great.

The opticamo models need a buff with a very mild abrasive as they come looking somewhat frosted. The GitD models are a bit disappointing - nothing really bad, but the plastic could have had more of a green tint or such so that they look less dull if you are not, you know, playing in the dark. (Which you wouldn't anyway, as you couldn't see anything on the board either). Both cool promotional gimmicks, and both fine for what they are despite my comments above.

So, to summarise then:

- The models are fine despite mouldline issues that you would normally expect.

- The plastic used for the models is not brilliant from a modelling perspective, but is more than fine for boardgame parts.

- The boardgame components look and feel cheap in quality. This is the biggest real disappointment for the cost of the boardgame.

- Those expecting a boardgame are disappointed in the boardgame parts and the complexity/poor fit issues of the character models for both factions.

- Those expecting a model set that could be used for a board game are disappointed that the models are not better quality/more complex/more finely detailed/in a nicer plastic to work with.

- Those (like me) who wanted decent models at a fair price with a cool design that could also be used to play a reasonable boardgame seem to be both happy enough and in the minority. Also, this group (small as it is) is further split depending on the amount of flash/mouldines/board warping that they got in their sets.

Is it worth it? In my opinion, yes, but know what you're getting and have realistic expectations. Given the hype, this may be hard though.

Offline Hrothgar

• Scientist
  • "We grow old because we stop playing" - GBS
    • Cheshirekat's Hobby Corner
« Reply #116 on: February 04, 2013, 01:40:33 PM »
I received my Biohazard set last week and spent a few hours cleaning and assembling about 20 of the models that came with it. As someone with only minimal interest in the boardgame-I mostly joined this kickstarter for the models, which I intend to use with other games-I am pretty happy. Yes, there are mold lines to be cleaned up, and they do take some time. Also, it seems to take more effort than usual to get the CA to stick to the plastic. Those gripes aside, I am pretty thrilled with what I got.

It seems that in general 28mm sci fi lines available have fallen behind the 15s in terms of offering human with a hard sci fi feeling, with Pig Iron and Hasslefree being the main notable exceptions in my book. That is one reason I am really happy with the Vanguard models. I have a platoon's worth of heavily armored human infantry that feels much more like something you would find in Stargrunt than in 40K, not even including all the cool character figures that came with. A number of those will do double duty in my Inquisimunda/ITEN/FUBAR retinues besides, as they are pretty characterful in my book.

The Strain models are okay. I am not as stoked about them as about the Vanguard, but as generic sci-fi zombies or additions to my Warzone Dark Legion or Inquisimunda Chaos models, they will do fine.

The boards, counters, cards, and rules seem okay, but as I am not sure I will ever even play the game as intended, I feel rather "meh" about them.

The bottom line for me is that this was a pretty good investment, and I am happy with what I received. Now I am looking forward intently to March and those sweet THI suits and more character figures!

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #117 on: February 04, 2013, 06:03:17 PM »
Went through my minis a couple of days ago and am missing a couple of bits....one arm and one grenade launcher....have emailed the kickstarter as instructed and will await response.......

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #118 on: February 04, 2013, 06:36:05 PM »
Went through my minis a couple of days ago and am missing a couple of bits....one arm and one grenade launcher....have emailed the kickstarter as instructed and will await response.......

You do know there's 1 vanguard samaritan body (hvy weapons that need the loose arm) and one trooper gun too much in the box ?

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #119 on: February 05, 2013, 06:44:21 AM »
It seems that in general 28mm sci fi lines available have fallen behind the 15s in terms of offering human with a hard sci fi feeling, with
Pig Iron and Hasslefree being the main notable exceptions in my book
To me, B4A stuff seems to inhabit the same realm of (aguably hardish) scifi as Governance of Technology, Infinity and MERCS and not the same "near future/gritty industrial" niche as (most) PI stuff and (some) Hasslefree.

OTOH in regards to the B4A box contents, I'll +1 to everything you said 8)