Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:13:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Oaken's Twelve: GW's Dwarf Rangers as Thorin's Company. Coda I: Dain Ironfoot  (Read 13298 times)

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Oaken's Twelve: GW's Dwarf Rangers as Thorin's Company. Updated: Bombur
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2013, 01:26:40 PM »
This is more bloody like it! No stupid idiotic hairdoos, starched hats or beardless girls! Very very nice work! I enjoyed the Hobbit film but still wish they didn't patronise us by suggesting we'd not be able to tell who was who without making them look like characters from some kind of book of troll-dolls.

Offline Jet Simian

• Bookworm
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2013, 08:49:47 AM »
"Well," said Sam, "I'm back!"

Here's Thorin at long last. Thanks again for all your encouraging comments. Another update will follow very very soon...

More on Thorin over on my blog: http://jetsimian.blogspot.co.nz/2013/04/oakens-twelve-thorin-oakenshield.html

Online majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
Some really nice figures there! Much more what I envisioned than the film versions

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2013, 03:16:55 PM »
"Well," said Sam, "I'm back!"

Here's Thorin at long last. Thanks again for all your encouraging comments. Another update will follow very very soon...

Just one word : GREAT !

In conversion work and in painting too.
Congratulation Jet Simian. By now, i know i'm not alone in my crusade about an easy and simple conversion work available to every one. Imagination is a key word for this concept and you get it ! :-*

Your paint job give them a new life. Especially when you know that this set of rangers are not highly so detailled like other plastic ranges at the moment . Don't speak about the GW price for a box (of only 12 Rangers) today with a not so good mould result in sculpting ! What a pity  :-[
Frenchy Eric, aka Ch'ti Eric or Re-Animator
"J'ai bon caractere mais j'ai le glaive vengeur et le bras seculier"

http://chti-reanimator59.blogspot.fr[

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
Really nice work, I like the pointy hood and it really captures the right middle-earthish atmosphere.
\\\"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon \\\'em.\\\"

-William Shakespeare

Offline Lovejoy

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathsworn Miniatures
Beautiful work - these are really well done! If only the film versions had looked more like these, I might have enjoyed it...

Offline Jet Simian

• Bookworm
Thanks everyone!

Like Thorin I have procured a Wizard and a Thief:

Both are metal variants from GW's LotR line, including a slightly converted Frodo.
And now the Company is complete!

As usual, more detail and pics here: http://jetsimian.blogspot.co.nz/2013/04/oakens-twelve-rounding-out-posse.html
There are still two more posts in this series to do, but as far as Thorin's crowd is concerned, I'm done. Phew!

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
They're just perfect!!!

Exactly as I think they should look almost.
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
Superbly realised and, as I wrote previously, much preferable to the execrable dwarves of the film.

Offline Arthadan

• Scientist
    • Forge of Doom Miniatures
As a Tolkien fan, I must say I love them! Great work!

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
These are fantastic! I was on your blog looking for higher-res pictures. Do you have any of the whole company?

I know many of us intelligent adults would like less condescending fantasy, but remember, The Hobbit was written for children. And, if the movie companies can't sell tickets to everybody, we don't get to see anybody's version of the dwarves. Having said that, as a mother of 3 (ages 13, 10 and 7)  I did not like the combination of cartoony dwarves and decapitations of monsters. Pick one. On the extremely positive side, the first thing my 10 yr old son did when we got home was ask for a copy of the book, which he loved so much he started the trilogy.

Back to Oaken's Twelve: Jet Simian your version of the company is imaginative (great mods!) and is a wonderful interpretation of Tolkien's works. I can't wait to show it to my family!

Jev

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
They look brilliant! I love the vibrant colours you have used to paint them and the conversions are superb.

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Great lovely work! They look perfect! What a Company!

Offline Jet Simian

• Bookworm
Thanks again, everyone. had I known I'd take this long to complete the job I might not have attempted it, but your comments have really made it worthwhile!

@ Jevenkah - sorry, the pics on my blog are the largest res versions, but I might take some better shots some time later. And yes, The Hobbit is primarily a kids' book - it has to be. But it's curious also in how its story changes as it progresses - once you get to Riddles in the Dark there's asinister streak in the story, and The Battle of Five Armies is, I'd say, pretty heavy for a young child to hear. I hope that the choices I've made for my conversions and paintings address both sides to the book, because I reckon both are equally valid  ;)

And so, here's a coda. I've done all the Dwarves of the Company including Thorin, now here's my version of his successor, Dain Ironfoot:

It's another GW conversion, this time of the plastic Dwarf Warriors set. As usual, more pictures and waffle on my blog.

http://jetsimian.blogspot.co.nz/2013/05/oakens-twelve-coda-dain-nainsson.html

Thanks for reading!

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Great work on all of them. And nice thoughts about the Dain miniature and painting style. I'm really blown away by your work here.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!