Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:58:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Highlanders  (Read 9113 times)

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
Highlanders
« on: March 27, 2008, 02:22:17 PM »
Does anyone know of anyone who does 28mm Highlanders, compatible with Copplestone/Brigade figures, and who are not wearing steel helmets and hence suitable for NW frontier/Back of Beyond 1918-26??

thanks

Ignatieff
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Highlanders
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 05:14:30 PM »
Pretty sure Renegade do WW1 Scots in kilts and Tams... Their WW1 figs have always looked rather nice to me, quite in the Brigade / Artizan / Copplestone style...

Obviously these won't be in shirtsleeve order though...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Highlanders
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 05:38:54 PM »
They are not bad looking at all, they are not, now that you reminded me, Blood I have to order some.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Highlanders
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 06:40:27 PM »
Ha ha! I shall put in for my commission at once!  :wink:

Hey - actually, now that I look at the Renegade site, I can see pic of the highlanders HMG and crew, but not the infantry. But what I can see is that they are doing a very advantageous Spring offer of only 6.00 GBP per pack, which for 8 figures in this day and age, is a bloody good deal.

That said, looking at the Copplestone chaps in pith helmets and shorts (BU24) it wouldn't require much in the way of modelling skills to add a Milliput kilt and sporran over the shrts, would it? And there you would have instant Scots in the right headgear and shirt sleeve order...

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Highlanders
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 10:22:37 PM »
Foundry do Great War Highlanders. Might be suitable with some work?

http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/GREATWAR/3/index.asp

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Highlanders
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 11:24:43 PM »
The Boer War highlanders would also be suitable I should think, they have the aprons over the fornt of the kilts too. Not sure if the rifle and webbing would be too old fashioned though BOB is not my period

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Highlanders
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 09:16:49 AM »
Boer War Highlanders have the wrong helmet and webbing, so some work might be necessary. I don't know what ranges are out there but there is a chance they might be modelled with Lee Metfords instead of Lee Enfields, too. Sounds like a bit of a non-starter to me.

Also, the Foundry Great War figures are tiny![/color] Be aware of that before buying any to mix with what you already have.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Highlanders
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 12:44:07 PM »
Truthfully, I'd be inclined to email messrs Copplestone and Weiss and suggest they might consider producing kilted variants of their existing BOB British infantry.

After all, they could re-use the upper portions of the existing figures, and simply sculpt a couple of new kilted dollies for the lower halves.

Given how often you see the BOB Brits in play, they must be a good seller, so I'm sure there'd be a market for BOB Highlanders too.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Highlanders
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 01:03:40 PM »
They need to get some Gurkha command minis into that range to. I want some drawn kukris, dagnabbit!

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
Highlanders
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 03:01:54 PM »
Good comments all.   I think I'll pursue the Copplestone/Lon Weiss lobbying route. I agree that they would be good sellers, and yes they could be converted from existing figures (way beyond my skills).  I have to say though, most of the existing figures are waaaaay too chunky.  When you see pictures of malnourished Brits (and particularly Scots) of the period, we need someone like the Perry brothers or the Great War miniatures folk to work their magic.

Great point re the Ghurkas as well.  I think Mark C was alseep when he did his.  Bog standard poses and no kukris. Disappointing

There is a big market out there for someone who puts the effort in.

Ignatieff

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
Highlanders
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 03:41:10 PM »
Battle Honours has 1914 WWI Highlanders wearing glengarries.  I use them alongside Renegade figures with no problems.  

Another option would be to take any of the later period Western Front Highlanders (Brigade, GWM, etc) and try a head swap for the sun helmet.

The Copplestone Gurkhas do have kukris, they are tucked away somewhere in the webbing on the back.  Still, the figures aren't that interesting (and they are BIG - somewhat in defiance of the gurkha reputation for being short).

W

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
Highlanders
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 05:29:19 PM »
Good point the Copplestone Ghurkas.  Anything better out there??  I currently use the old Foundry NW frontier ones, but the uniforms are all wrong.

Ignatieff

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
Highlanders
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 06:04:17 PM »
Eureka has WWI era gurkhas - these are smaller and have a greater selection of poses than Copplestone.  

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x96/WillBailie/Miniatures/?action=view&current=DSCN3074.jpg

Offline Ricco

• Bookworm
Highlanders
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 07:39:42 PM »
I like the look of the Eureka WWI era gurkhas and they are not in shorts!!!!I know the Brits actually wore shorts in hot insect infested places but it was totally a daft idea.  The Germans had a much more sensible out look in having long pants and rolled up sleeves for white troops.
Shit Keith ... Not another stinkin air war game!!!!!

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
Highlanders
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 08:05:37 PM »
Be aware that the Eureka Gurkhas are available either in shorts or trousers - make sure you let Nic know which version you prefer when ordering!