Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:48:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Retreating Square GdB  (Read 1765 times)

Offline Wilkins

• Scientist
Retreating Square GdB
« on: December 28, 2012, 01:11:31 AM »
I've recently started playing the 2nd Edition of General de Brigade and during our second game this evening an unusual situation arose which I am hoping you can help resolve (I will also be asking this question on the GdB forum).

This is a picture of the wider context of the game

And this is a zoomed in picture of the confusing situation

As the cavalry charged the square they passed their morale test to close but the square scored a modified morale result of 4 which corresponded to a "Retreat" move. We weren't really sure how to deal with this and I'm hoping someone can offer clarification. The issue arose because the rule book states that upon retreating units "will inter-penetrate other friendly units during the first half of the initial retreat move (not applicable to squares)". This left us unsure as to whether squares retreat at all or whether they just can't inter-penetrate. Any help would be much appreciated!

Ultimately we decided that the square retreated a full move back and became unformed. This allowed the British cavalry to continue their charge and contact the French column in the flank which resulted in that unit breaking.

Offline valleyboy

• Mad Scientist
    • Valleyboy's Wargames
Re: Retreating Square GdB
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 09:31:56 AM »
Not an expert but have a few games under my belt and my take on this is that the square being charged fails its morale test in response to the charge and legs it
It is therefore no longer a square
Consequently it retreats 20cms - the first half move occurs immediately and in a straight line
Anything within 10 cms gets interpenetrated by the retreating troops unless of course that formation contacted is a square itself

So in effect a unit contacted by routers or retreating units in the initial move of a rout will be interpenetrated unless the unit the being contacted is in square in which case the routers/retreaters lap around it and it does not get interpenetrated

The square bit refers to the contacted unit not the unit doing the retreating or routing

Hope that helps
I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colours. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns. - Winston Churchill

Offline Wilkins

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 03:39:26 PM »
That was my thoughts on the issue and it's nice to hear that someone else agrees! It's also nice that my British victory wasn't marred by an incorrect interpretation of the rules  lol

Offline PAULSPENCE

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 04:09:48 PM »
Mes Amis,

Greetings from the centre of France.

Absolutely correct that a retreating square ceases to be a square.

Have just checked the rules on page 134 and it is just making it clear that a retreating square would flow around a square in its retreat path in contrast to a column or line in its path which it would unform.

Good to see that there is agreement about this.

It is always more difficult to reach a balanced view during a battle though!

Cheers,

Paul

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 06:23:25 PM »
Yep deffo tight, a rather overlooked game for napoleonics and one I used to love to play but seldom got the chance owing to Shako...which is also good but doesnt quite grab the tactics for battalion/brigade level

Offline Wilkins

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 01:55:30 AM »
I am enjoying it so far, strikes a good balance between quick and easy but still retains some historical flavour. Also the unit size is exactly what I was looking for. To be honest, I'm surprised it doesn't have more of a following

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 03:20:25 PM »
I am enjoying it so far, strikes a good balance between quick and easy but still retains some historical flavour. Also the unit size is exactly what I was looking for. To be honest, I'm surprised it doesn't have more of a following

Possibly because he doesn't cater to the "big figure" (25+ mm) crowd?  Peter makes and is pretty outspoken about 6 mm figures/games.

I would be as outspoken (have been in the past) about 6 mm/1:300th if 1:600th had not caught my eye.

Gracias,

Glenn

Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline PAULSPENCE

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 08:19:22 PM »
Mes Amis,

GDB works really well with 28mm figures and I would encourage you all to try it!

I am biased as I love the look of 28mm figures as you can shade them etc etc.

GDB also really does benefit from a large number of subtleties so you  can try-out and perfect for example your placement and tactics of a British line or French column.

Can't beat them.

Cheers,

Paul